New Star Wars Stamps Force You to Get Them ... From the U.K.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
New Star Wars Stamps Force You to Get Them ... From the U.K.

Keep on rolling out the promotional materials and collectibles for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This time its the Royal Mail in the United Kingdom with some Star Wars commemorative stamps.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is getting closer to its Dec. 18 release. We already saw the full trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142901-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-First-Full-Trailer] for the new movie set in a galaxy far, far away, but now you can get some new stamps in case you want to send mail to a friend on Tatooine.

The Royal Mail has released a new set of 18 commemorative stamps for the J.J. Abrams film, including newcomers to the universe, Finn, Rey and Kylo Ren. There are also the older heroes such as Leia, Han and Luke as well. The stamps have been available for pre-order in the U.K. since September, but are now finally out.

In addition to the heroes and villains, there are also vehicle stamps featuring T.I.E. Fighters and X-Wing craft.

Unfortunately, if you don't live in the U.K., the only way you will be able to get these is to order them from the Royal Mail web site [http://www.royalmail.com/starwars?iid=PROMO_H1_STARWARS], where they are being touted as "the best stamps in the galaxy." In addition to the individual stamps, the Royal Mail is also offering several packages for the collector ranging from £5 to £63.

There is no equivalent from the U.S. Postal Service, at least not yet. That could change before the movie is released. Of course, the USPS did release some commemorative stamps in May 2007 to celebrate the 30th anniversary [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Commemorative_Postage_Stamps] of the original film.

Check out the gallery of the available stamps.

[gallery=4919]

Source: Mashable [http://mashable.com/2015/10/24/star-wars-stamps-royal-mail/#1iRinHdmsiq5]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Nifty. I'm sure the mother will understand when her card arrives in the post, covered in disgruntled stormtroopers and their fearless leader Yoda. Because that is going to happen. It's frivolous spending, but probably worth it in a mostly non-financial sense.

Wonder how far we'll take this Star Wars marketing hype. Hopefully far enough to give the queen's diamond jubilee carriage (ugh, sorry guys, the old dear's a bit over-indulgent) a funky tie-fighter make-over. The corgis can become ewoks with a little invasive surgery while prince philip would do well as a Darth Maul, albiet a bit more of a sexually harrassing Darth Maul, but a shade of sinister is still sinister. Just, err...keep him away from the ladies. ;)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I'm not a star wars fan and I don't send a lot of letters but when I was in the post office 2 days ago (or was it yesterday?) I was tempted.

Like I said, I am not a star wars fan but that emperor stamp has Anakin on it ... and Anakin and the emperor look kind of similar, are they one and the same or what 'cos I thought he turned into Darth Vader.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Oh, wow! A new addition to all the junk the world doesn't need! At least it doesn't take up much space...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
hazydawn said:
Oh, wow! A new addition to all the junk the world doesn't need! At least it doesn't take up much space...
That's what you get when the postal service gets privatised. The previous Stamps used to be from British heritage only but now we're getting shit from the big business in U.S.

Won't be too long till stamps become adverts from any business.

Mar 30, 2010
mad825 said:
hazydawn said:
That's what you get when the postal service gets privatised. The previous Stamps used to be from British heritage only but now we're getting shit from the big business in U.S.
Yeah, 'cause the original films totally weren't filmed at Elstree Studios. We couldn't possibly have the Royal Mail celebrating films born out of the U.K film industry, that'd just be craziness!

*rolls eyes*

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Anyone else thinking most of them look pretty... meh?

omega 616 said:
Like I said, I am not a star wars fan but that emperor stamp has Anakin on it ... and Anakin and the emperor look kind of similar, are they one and the same or what 'cos I thought he turned into Darth Vader.
Palpatine was the one who pulled Anakin to the dark side of the force. It's basically an allusion to master and apprentice and similar to say, the Han Solo one of two characters being close/related in one way or another.

captcha: friend zone
Fuck you captcha I'm not your friend anymore!

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Anyone from the US actually been able to buy these stamps from the Royal Mail website. Every time I try and checkout I get a white screen with the message "Error: Problem encountered - Display process failure". Tried different browsers, and even on different operating systems (Win & OSX).

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Yeah, 'cause the original films totally weren't filmed at Elstree Studios. We couldn't possibly have the Royal Mail celebrating films born out of the U.K film industry, that'd just be craziness!

*rolls eyes*
Pffft, big deal. When I was talking about British heritage I was talking about creations, inventions and leadership not providing a service to an off-shore company. If that were the case then we owe a lot to many other people. Quite frankly, Starwars is a footnote to what has been filmed in the UK and hardly anything to aspire given the consumerism it stands for (which I will emphasise on the privatisation of the RM).

I find it funny, No. A joke on culture values that you assume RM still holds it's stance for the public interest since then.

Mar 30, 2010
mad825 said:
Grouchy Imp said:

*rolls eyes*
Pffft, big deal. When I was talking about British heritage I was talking about creations, inventions and leadership not providing a service to an off-shore company. If that were the case then we owe a lot to many other people. Quite frankly, Starwars is a footnote to what has been filmed in the UK and hardly anything to aspire given the consumerism it stands for (which I will emphasise on the privatisation of the RM).

I find it funny, No. A joke on culture values that you assume RM still holds it's stance for the public interest since then.
Fair enough, I find it hilarious that you've read something into my post that I never said. All I was doing was shooting sarcasm at your apparent belief that films shot in Britain have no place in British culture.