New Superman Movie Finds its Hero

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
Batfred said:
What was wrong with Brendan Routh Dammit!? He was a great re-imagaining or Christophr Reeve, from the look, to the style of acting to the Kermit Clark Kent voice. And what is it with Re-boots? Just continue the story, is that so difficult?

Re-boot is another word for cop out if you ask me. Oh, we didn't know where to take the story from here, so we just started again. This is cinema people, not Etch-a-Sketch!
Completely agree. Brandon Routh was perfect, a great successor to Reeve. There was definitely no need to get a new actor.
Brandon Routh looked a little too boyish but yes, I thought he did a wonderful job with the material he was given. This new guy has a little more manliness to him and I think if you do a movie about a SuperMAN then by God he should look like one. Personal preferences aside I'm very excited to see what Mr. Snyder has in store for the Man of Steel. He's made some awesome films and I hope he does the Superman license justice. Now if we could only get a decent Superman game.....

My biggest problem with Superman Returns, and the reason I think it didn't work as a whole, was Lex Luthors plan. A great superhero film has to have a good villain who has plans that are crazy enough to work and will do anything to see those plans through. In Superman 1 Luthor's plan was "Buy all the land on this side of the San Andreas Fault, sink California into the ocean by nuking the fault-line, and become the proud owner of a shit load of oceanfront property." See. Crazy enough to work. (I'd buy it in a superhero movie anyway) In Superman Returns Luthor's plan was "Create a giant radiated rock with no plant life and then sell land to people". Um.... that's just stupid.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
KnifeyMcStaberson said:
What was wrong with Brandon Routh?
KnifeyMcStaberson said:
unless of course Superman is going to be Christopher Walken and Clark kent is going to be Morgan Freeman.
KnifeyMcStaberson said:
and Lois Lane will of course be played by Sally Struthers.
KnifeyMcStaberson said:
Jimmy Olson will be played by Carrot Top.
Word to the wise, the mods don't like double posting (quadruple even less). Use the edit button instead.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007

Well, he can definitly pull off the Clark Kent look.

Personally I'm pretty excited for this film. Superman is possibly my favourite superheroes, or at least he has been since a couple of years ago (see the comic All Star Superman) and I'm interested to see what Zack can do with him. Honestly I have very mixed opinions on Synder (300 was great dumb fun, Watchmen was an atrosity compared to the source material, Sucker Punch looks awesome) but Superman feels like a property he could do wonders with, plus with Nolan backing it I have faith.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Superman Returns, a *good* movie?

*gag**cough**hack*

It's on my list of the absolute worst superhero movies, ever. Only Electra, and possibly the Punisher (with Travolta) were worse.

I'd say this actor was doubly lucky to have missed it. I wish I could have said the same.

Here's to hoping the new film is at least decent.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Batfred said:
To continue my rant though, it comes out in December of 2012. I hope that it is before the 12th, we'll all be dead otherwise!
Or we're not. It's the funny thing about using a calendar that jumps between base 20 and base 12 randomly. Either the end of the world has already happened, or it won't happen for a few hundred more years.

I believe it was said best on twitter by The God Damned Batman
"New Supes is cast! Now I can go from not caring about the new Superman movie to not caring about Henry Cavill in the new Superman movie."

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I've been noticing that this is yet another British actor that is going to portray a cinema version of an American superhero;

Batman: Christian Bale

Superman: Henry Cavill

Spiderman: Andrew Garfield

I still believe it's not just the actors that will make a passable to excellent portrayal of these superheroes but the directors job as well to have Henry and Andrew be their superhero characters. I look forward to see these actors in the upcoming films.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Well, I don't think it really needs a reboot, but the staff attached to it rival Tintin so it's got my approval.

As for Carvill...never heard of him. But let's be honest, who had heard of any of the people who were cast in Watchmen? How brilliant did Jackie Earle Haley turn out to be? How brilliant did the whole film turn out to be? Exactly.

This guy went up in my estimations once I saw he'd been rejected for previous high-profile roles. Might have to check him out in The Tudors, which I predict will receive a nice ratings boost.

Plus I can't watch Brandon Routh any more; after Scott Pilgrim, the only thing I can think of is his role in that.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
/facepalm

Two words:

George Newbern.

Hell, he VOICED the man of steel in TAS! Doesn't hurt that he looks exactly like him! I am completely convinced that people who run TV have no idea what they're doing.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
Don't let the villain be be Lex please no more Lex give us some on that can fight Superman.

In fact here is a list that can go toe to toe with with the Man of Steel.

Darkside maybe, god like, powerful makes well thought out plans might need movie to build up to him though.

Bizarro, a bad superman clone made by Lex, you could have lex in the movie and something for superman to fight.

Blood spot, a man that uses Kryptonite bullets.

Brainiac, an evil computer man that killed Supermans home world.

Doomsday, he has made superman dead in the past. Yea yea superman cant die we all know.

General Zod, hes been used in the past we know but he so has lex about a dozen times.

Lobo, the last of his race like the man of steel, but he is more evil.

Mister Mxyzptlk ,reality-bending powers, which he often uses to pose challenges to Superman for his own amusement its a thinking mans fight.

Parasite, possesses the power to temporarily absorb the energy, powers and knowledge of whoever he touches, usually leaving his victims in a weakened state. Come the man of steel has to fight with out his powers.

Superwoman ,A villainous version of Wonder Woman from a reversed version of Earth.

There is your list of villains, that would do as well or better then Lex. Use one of them!

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Batfred said:
Why does it need a reboot? Batman was only re-booted because it was down the pan and the IP was worth nothing after Schumacher and Verhoeven had their ways. This was the only way it could go.
Superman doesn't need it though. You ask the critics and they hated Returns. You ask the money paying public and most of us thought that it was a fun movie with a bit of story and loads of cool action and set-pieces that we all love and want from a super hero film.

Finally, I completely agree. Routh's CK was great, but the Superman was wooden. Hey, that's the role though. Superman is a wooden one dimensional character. Look at Reeves. His Superman in The Movie was worse than Keanu on a good day. 2 was a superb film that any acting was forgiveable in and 3 was a chance to show how well he could act as Kyrptonited Superman (we don't talk about Quest for Peace).

Don't get me wrong, I am excited about this, I just feel a little cheated and as if Snyder wants to do his thing and to hell with the rest of usand what we want.
Superman does need it. The Donner films were great, for the time, just like Star Wars films were great for the time. But the mythology needs a refresh, and as much as I am a massive DC fan, I'll be the last one to defend all the kooky plot holes and corny acting of the old Donner films in this day and age.

It's been a very, very, very long time since Superman was a one dimensional character, which is another reason why a fresh face can turn this around. Snyder can make a pretty good action flick, and Superman needs a good action film, and while Routh was okay, Cavill serves to tell the audience that this is a new Superman for the 21st century. No more Mary Sue archetypes. There's plenty of ways to express the character of Superman. It's just a hell of a lot easier, and a lot more annoying, to depict Superman as Golden Age Superman.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
....Well, congratulations: I predict this mans life is about to be ruined/have some horrible twist of fate occur in it. Lest we forget, Superman is a cursed franchise...Hmm, say, is Robert Pattison available for this movie? >D MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
Because some of us watch the Tudors somewhat regularly... the character he plays is the Duke of SUFFOLK. (Duke of Sussex was created over 300 years after the setting of the show.)

I don't like Superman, I really have no interest in the story or franchise, however... I've been quite impressed with Cavill's acting thus far, and I'm willing to maybe give it a go just because he's in it. If the movie bombs, I'm somewhat certain that it won't be due to him.

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
Batman's Welsh and Superman's English!

Damn you all we're British we are supposed to be the villains!

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Batfred said:
What was wrong with Brendan Routh Dammit!?
Brandon Routh is a decent actor and does bear a slight resemblance to Christopher Reeve but he looked like he was barely 18 years old. He's more suited to be in a Smallville movie than the sequel to Superman 4.