New Team Fortress 2 Co-Op Mode Unites Red and Blu

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
New Team Fortress 2 Co-Op Mode Unites Red and Blu

Team Fortress 2's Mann Vs. Machine update will pit both teams against a common enemy.

Last weekend, Team Fortress 2 fans became aware of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119023-Team-Fortress-2-ARG-Introduces-Gray-Mann>an incredibly detailed ARG which ultimately revealed the first attack of Gray Mann against the Red and Blu Teams. The most popular theory regarding the ARG was that it hinted at a new gameplay mode allowing Red and Blu to unite against a common enemy. Some fans may have been skeptical, since it wouldn't be the first ARG that had fans hoping for Half-Life 3 or for a Team Fortress 2 TV series <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118059-Update-Valve-Teaming-up-with-Adult-Swim-for-Something>only to leave us with hats. But not this time. Valve has revealed that on August 15th, Team Fortress 2 will gain a horde co-op mode called Mann Vs. Machine, in which Red and Blu joins forces against the onslaught of Gray's seemingly endless robot army.

"Mann vs. Machine is a new co-operative game for Team Fortress 2 that lets you and five friends wage a desperate battle to stop a lethal horde of robots from deploying a bomb in one of Mann Co.'s many strongholds," reads the Team Fortress 2 website. "Take advantage of breaks between waves to upgrade your abilities and weapons. Survive all the waves in any of a variety of missions to earn incredible loot."

As with any Team Fortress update, Mann Vs Machine features will be revealed sparingly in the days leading up to its launch. The first includes the Mann Vs Machine trailer above, profiles of Machine Army classes, details on the Mann Co. map, and a second webcomic in which Saxton Hale orders Red and Blu Teams into action while simultaneously fighting a Yeti. And that's just day one; today's information update will likely feature the new weapons, gear, and of course hats that players will be able to obtain by successfully holding back robot forces.

Valve is already well-experienced in horde gameplay, having designed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6810-Review-Left-4-Dead-2>two entire co-op games around the concept, so adapting the format to Team Fortress 2 is not something the developers are approaching blindly. Combined with that fact that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111259-Team-Fortress-2-Goes-Free-to-Play-Meets-the-Medic>Team Fortress 2 is already free-to-play, I expect there will be absolutely no shortage of players willing to join the fight against the assembled robotic forces.

Source: TeamFortress.com via <a href=http://kotaku.com/5934443/team-fortress-2-now-has-a-third-team-robots>Kotaku

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
My huntsman's already quivering in excitement.

...Wait...

I am sincerely worried about the giant robots, if there's one thing I've learned in life it's that giant robots can cause a lot of trouble.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I really hope my PC can run the new mode.

It can barely run TF2 on lowest graphic settings so it might be a bit of a deal breaker.

Still hyped as shit, though.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
If Heavy does not get Sasha back, it might be deal breaker.
The page talks about weapons upgrading over time, I imagine that not only will Sasha appear, but Sasha Plus (Big Sasha?) will make an appearance.

I certainly hope so at least, otherwise those giant robots could be troublesome...

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Heaven only knows what the Pyro sees in all this.
If I were to guess, I would say, something along these lines:

I never really played TF2, but Im always happy to see Valve releasing new stuff for their "old" games.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
I'm feeling really tingly about this. Thank god I'm a Engineer/Sniper/Medic player with a side-dish of Spy. Support players are always needed and I'm pretty sure robots are too stupid to realize I'm not one of them.

DVS BSTrD said:
FalloutJack said:
Heaven only knows what the Pyro sees in all this.
The best response I've seen is "cotton candy"
Ooh, maybe he sees Wall-E versions of every class. That would be really awesome.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
TimeLord said:
My Sentry will certainly be raking up kills tomorrow!
As if you thought Valve didnt think of that, theres a non-class robot specifically designed to kill sentries that get too much action.

Theres also the giant soldier, to a lesser extent. Its rocket launcher is actually a machine gun that fires rockets.

fix-the-spade said:
My huntsman's already quivering in excitement.

...Wait...

I am sincerely worried about the giant robots, if there's one thing I've learned in life it's that giant robots can cause a lot of trouble.
In my experience the amount of dakka required to kill something increases in proportion to its size.

Also with the exception of the giant scout, they will all move at half the speed of thier normal sized counterparts.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I think it's time I got back into TF2. Haven't played properly in over a year so I'm gonna be rusty as fuck but still.....HORDE MODE! Although I was hoping that they would've had 24 players working together, 12 Red, 12 Blu against a metric fuckton of bots rather than just 5 players.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
anthony87 said:
24 players working together, 12 Red, 12 Blu against a metric fuckton of bots rather than just 5 players.
Better still, against each other... and the bots.

As you can see, we have hired twenty four of you, however, this box only contains enough hats for twelve of you. BEGIN!

That would be epic, I don't understand why competitive horde modes haven't been explored more (A Covenant vs Marines vs AI Flood would be cool too, but that's another story).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
gigastar said:
TimeLord said:
My Sentry will certainly be raking up kills tomorrow!
As if you thought Valve didnt think of that, theres a non-class robot specifically designed to kill sentries that get too much action.
That's why the Engineer has a shotgun and a pistol.

Theres also the giant soldier, to a lesser extent. Its rocket launcher is actually a machine gun that fires rockets.
Well yeah I can see that being a problem for Sentries and anything else really.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Are the medic needles armour piercing? Otherwise I don't see how that would be effective against the metal plated robots!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
It's not right to be making him fight with shotgun: he is Heavy, not Hobo.
But heavy must be fighting men to use MANLY weapons. When first enemies are toys, they get toy shotgun. Sasha only kill the big ones.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Might actually get me playing TF2, this looks awesome.
Been fairly interested in it since that article yesterday and hearing about the mass of build up for over 2 years.