New Terminator: Genisys Trailer Reveals Major Plot Twist

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Fursnake said:
I can't get over the feeling that this movie seems really contrived to me.
A movie about time traveling robots sounds contrived to you? :) hahaha.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
This seems like an absolute train wreck of a movie, it kinda makes me want to see how it COULD actually get worse...

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
This is just too convoluted. And there are too many Terminators. Sure this franchise had on the surface what seemed like confusing time travel elements, but at its core, it was a straightforward action, chase thriller with the sci-fi elements enhancing the threat. Adding layers and layers of bullshit will make it collapse onto itself. I dunno, maybe if they go full retard it can reach some weird state of Nirvana and end up being some self aware action parody of everything wrong with this franchise, but I doubt they have the talent and actual imagination to pull that off.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
What I'd like clarified, is if he's made of sand, and why that's better than liquid metal? Does that mean he can form complex devices that involve moving components, like a gun or a bomb?

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Solkard said:
What I'd like clarified, is if he's made of sand, and why that's better than liquid metal? Does that mean he can form complex devices that involve moving components, like a gun or a bomb?
Nanobots, actually. He's basically a robot made out of millions of much smaller machines. The nanobots were probably rendered as black volcanic ash or sand to make it look "more realistic."

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Looks like they are throwing everything into the movie. Not sure if it will spoil the movie or not. Though i am certain its going to be a massive action packed movie.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Louis.J said:
The thumbnail promised me Matt Smith. I did not see any Matt Smith.
seriously, i was expecting that they started making terminator and it got so crazy that they decided to just fuck it and add Doctor Who in just to go even more over the top

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I feel like I just watched the whole film condensed into a 2 minute video. I certainly don't feel like seeing it now, not that I was excited about it to begin with.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I need a fucking flowchart just to follow everything that's happening in the trailer. The movie looks like it's going to be an absolute clusterfuck.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
008Zulu said:
The Terminator franchise peaked with The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
I don't know. Sarah Conner in the first two films was compelling and showed her strength by overcoming the impossible odds stacked against her and facing her greatest fears. Her emotional and physical transformation between the first two were profoundly effective at indicating the differences between where she started and then what she acheived, her world being turned upside down and then the confidence in her ability to shape her own destiny.

In the Sarah Conner Chronicals however, her strength is shown less by actual conflict and developement, and more by making everyone (villains aside) around her and the other principal protagonists either worthless, or annoying. In my opinion, the adversity felt very contrived. That show had some cool ideas and fun moments (hooray for the practical effects, casting, and stuntwork in the Camron/Rosie fight for example). But for me it really did fall flat compared to the first two films. Her character in the series felt like she was already at her heroic peak and just stayed there. I'm tempted to make a Mary Sue comparison but that's low-hanging fruit, and doesn't really fit. Maybe it's a "less is more" idea (spurts of rapid developement in two films as opposed to showing daily struggles over the course of a series)? Maybe it's that the show was a lot more tame and family friendly? Not entirely sure. Also, full disclosure, I didn't watch the whole series because I started to really not enjoy it. Feel free to discuss/disagree or to point out examples I may not have seen.

OT:
We should all know something is very, very wrong when the preview tips the film's hand.

Looking at the photo for this article on The Escapist main page, I see nothing that looks anything like Terminator. If anything it looks like a film adaptation of yet another y/a novel series (not that they are all bad - the Hunger Games movies are legit - but most of these works all seem to have a certain look and feel to them).

But, remember "Come with me if you want to live!"? Remember "Get out..."? Remember "I'll be back..."? Remember comedic relief and fish-out-water moments when a Terminator tries to blend in? It's all in this movie too! But what seems to be the target audience is too young to appreciate the reference in the quarter century old, R-rated source material. Who needs character developement, arcs, and growth when we have all these one-liners and clichés, anyway?

Yay Hollywood!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
After watching the trailer a few times, I feel like John Connor was miscast. Instead of that average, yet sort of odd-looking guy, they should have gotten somebody who looked more like the original:
The guy they have now I just can't take seriously. Plus it sounds like he's having a hard time doing the "American" accent.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Alright:
The cinematic trailer for T2 gave away that Arnold was the good guy and that John sent him.
2 big plot twists in the trailer?
Now the movie is ruined!!!

See how stupid that sounds?

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
So, watched the trailer, and here are my quick thoughts...

- The original end to Terminator: Salvation (which is a pretty terrible movie that turns Skynet into a Bond villain) had John Connor dying, and the Worthington terminator taking his place. That would have actually been pretty good.

- John Connor dying and being replaced by a terminator = good twist. John Connor dying, being replaced by a terminator, and going back in time to...for some reason...hunt his mother = pretty stupid.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I still have no idea what this movie is even about. It just looks like a convoluted mess to me.

So you have Kyle Reese going back in time to save Sarah Conner from Asian T-1000, but then it turns out that she was prepared for his arrival and is working with old Arnold Terminator, but THEN John Conner comes to the past (and Sarah somehow recognized him as his son) and THEN it turns out he's a terminator, and along with Asian T-1000, is now trying to kill them, and THEN for some reason young CGI Arnold Terminator appears to fight old Arnold Terminator. This all looks like a clusterfuck.

I hope it's at least dumb fun. I admit, the part about her trying to make him blend in gave me a chuckle.