New Tomb Raider Raider Reboot Details Emerge

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Interesting, but with all these changes keeping it Tomb Raider seems a bit silly, but i guess franchises make more money than new games...

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
Why not just make this a new series? Nothing against it, but I get the feeling the only reason this is called Tomb Raider is for brand recognition.
It is. Customers and ultimately publishers look for recognisable brands, even if they've never played the game.

It's sad and I'd rather shitstorms like the new medal of honour be new franchises too but if that's the way the cookie crumbles...

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
I'm just a bit concerned about the combat and the hints that its going to be more survival horror (both are things that, in my opinion, shouldn't be the focus of a Tomb Raider-Game)

Oh and I'm a bit upset about all this blood and burns and hot chick stuff. Sounds discomforting...

But on the other hand less linear gameplay sounds good.
But then again RPG-Elements? Sounds like it could go horribly wrong.

And hopefully: "A lot of the new Lara's sex appeal, he says, will come from the mixture of toughness and vulnerability that Crystal Dynamics was infusing the character with." doesn't mean that someone tries to rape her every game and ends up getting killed by her.
Edit: As that is what many writers understand to be strongness and vulnerability in female characters

Mayonegg

Mar 29, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Crystal Dynamics has gone back to the drawing board when designing its new Lara. Certain elements of the old Lara had been retained, like her ponytail or the shape of her lips, but her improbable curves and enormous chest are gone. Her wardrobe too, has received an update, consisting of sturdy boots, cargo pants, and layered tanks tops - in other words, attire more suited to exploration than tight shirts and hot pants.
Oh Thank God... A realilistic Lara.

*Edit*

Mr. Omega said:
... stigmas hanging around its neck like a f***ing albatross.
Did you just make a reference The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?
I believe he did. Don't you all know the poem?

"Water water everywhere, so let's all have a drink."

I'm liking the new realistic Lara idea. But boobs =/= sexiness. She's got to have her sexiness still. That was one of her traits.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Personally, i like the idea. I liked the first TR, but I was a frustrated teen back then. Since then, the need for physics-defying boobage and hotpants has significantly waned (though the hotpants might be nice).

The idea of seeing Lara pre-gun toting, smart-*ss Brit, and possibly see the origin of her obsession with mystical artifacts, and her need to relieve badguys of them, sounds like a worthwhile storyline. Toss in some platforming and death-defying acrobatics, and I'll be on the way to giving a thumbs-up.

Besides, who else played Uncharted for the first time and had a quick lapse of "Wow, imagine if Tomb Raider had ended up like this?", hmmm? (Just please don't overdo the cover-based gunplay... Cool, a big room with lots of crates/pillars/barrels/whatever, guess I'll have a big firefight and then a bit of climbing to do.)

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
IamSofaKingRaw said:
voetballeeuw said:
Does anyone think she kind of looks like Jessica Alba? Other than that, seems like an interesting game.
I do, maybe there is going to be a tie in movie to go with this game.
That would be awesome. Jessica Alba would be excellent for the role. I became horrified when the rumors of the Kardasian twat (I don't care if I incorrectly spelled her name) possibly filling the role of Lara in an upcoming movie.

On the a lighter note, they can take away the curves, they can take away the boobs, but they can't take away the pistols! They were apart of her signature image. However, if their reboot plans want to change her very image and style, sounds like they accomplished it. I just hope they don't "Other M" her personality. The best time to make a character look brave is when they are pissed-in-their-pants scared. If they can still accomplish what they need to while in the grip of fear, they will look awesome when they come out on top. Portraying invulnerabilities and lack of confidence does not mean to "make a wuss out of."

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
Well Crystal Dynamics, you earned at least a rental with "Metroidvania".

I'll buy it if you can pull it off.

Colour my interest piqued.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
The description of an open-world metroidvania style game with upgradable weapons and abilities made me think of Arkham Asylum. Hmm...

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
This "new" Lara looks loads better than the ultra-silicone-injected Lara. I've not played Tomb Raider since that crappy one which involved picking up half eaten chocolate bars to restore health, and finding doubloons all over the streets.

WarpCode

Mar 18, 2010
IAmTheVoid said:
WarpCode said:
If shes not sexy, the game wont sell. No one wants to play dull girl with a gun game. They need to combine her sexiness with good gameplay to make it successful.
They've said she is going to be sexy. And since when did not having gigantic breasts equate somebody to being dull?

I've never been a fan of Tomb Raider, but this sounds kinda cool. Will keep my eyes on it, but I'm not expecting the world.
I said nothing about giant breasts. I simply stated a dull looking character doesn't sell games. Sex sells. Its true for both male and female characters.. No one would like Mass Effect if Shepard was a 350 pound acne ridden slob just like no one would like Bayonetta if she looked like an 80 year old librarian with a hunch back. If Laura doesn't look sexy then no one is going to care about her "toughness and vulnerability".

As far as the reboot goes I hope it does well.. I have enjoyed the puzzle solving in a lot of Tomb Raider games. Unfortunately the horrible story and dialogue usually kills my interest in the games.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
WarpCode said:
IAmTheVoid said:
WarpCode said:
If shes not sexy, the game wont sell. No one wants to play dull girl with a gun game. They need to combine her sexiness with good gameplay to make it successful.
They've said she is going to be sexy. And since when did not having gigantic breasts equate somebody to being dull?

I've never been a fan of Tomb Raider, but this sounds kinda cool. Will keep my eyes on it, but I'm not expecting the world.
I said nothing about giant breasts. I simply stated a dull looking character doesn't sell games. Sex sells. Its true for both male and female characters.. No one would like Mass Effect if Shepard was a 350 pound acne ridden slob just like no one would like Bayonetta if she looked like an 80 year old librarian with a hunch back. If Laura doesn't look sexy then no one is going to care about her "toughness and vulnerability".

As far as the reboot goes I hope it does well.. I have enjoyed the puzzle solving in a lot of Tomb Raider games. Unfortunately the horrible story and dialogue usually kills my interest in the games.
To me, Shepard looks fairly average. It takes effort to make a sexy Shepard. And Bayonetta was entirely centralised around Bayonetta's sexuality- it was half a homage to characters like Lara, and half a complete pisstake. I think it's sad that a character needs to be massively sexy to be interesting in your eyes. They're not saying that they're making Lara ridiculously ugly (like in your examples), they're making her more like a normal human being. She's still attractive, because Lara is meant to be good-looking, but not hitting you in the face with her mammaries.

thirdsonsaburo

Apr 10, 2010
Whoa, Lara actually looks like a real human being! This plus the gameplay makes me actually interested.

Which is saying something for a Tomb Raider game.