New Torment game announced

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Smolderin said:
Oh god....Would I be one of the only few to say it? Please...just leave some games well enough alone, don't introduce a chance to put a smudge on a great game's reputation. I am not saying it's going to be bad, but due to recent flops, I can't help to be overly cautious when developers decide to resurrect a perfectly good fossil. You can end up with a monstrous T-Rex of a game, or a failed experiment.
Nobody complained when they wanted to resurrect Wasteland, and these are the same guys that also made the original Torment. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make another good RPG.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Jove said:
Skoldpadda said:
Jove said:
Ugh...really? No new original game? Yet ANOTHER sequel.

Why couldn't they just left Tormet as one game? It's great at is own. It doesn't need a freaking awful sequel or trilogy like every single game now these days. But nope, were going to get an action rpg Tormet sequel that will get overhyped as shit but fail to fulfill any kind of unrealistic potential, thus making the sequel look terrible.

Ah who am I kidding? The movie industry is not exactly innovative either. They would probably stick a dagger to my heart and make a Shawkshank Redemption sequel too.
You don't just haven't read the link,you haven't read the goddamn OP. It's not a sequel. It's not even set in the same universe. It's a spiritual successor by much of the original team. It's a new story.
Does it have the "Torment" name on it? Then it is a sequel when it is all said and done. No one is going to think of this as "oh its a whole different game". No, they see the name, it's Torment, must be a sequel.

If it's THAT MUCH different, why not call it something else? WHY TORMENT? Why ruin it's credibility?
thematic sequel implys the differences between bioshock and bioshock infinite(tho I still wish theyd called it sky shock. Than wed have system,bio, and sky shock)

always wanted to play these games but jesus I got enough on my plate with the steam sale.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I think I might have already donated to this. Obsidian was trying to get funds for Project... Eternity, I think, on Kickstarter, and I donated some money to them, but I guess the name changed? I need to find out where that money went... Is Chris Avellone on this?

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Rabid Toilet said:
Smolderin said:
Oh god....Would I be one of the only few to say it? Please...just leave some games well enough alone, don't introduce a chance to put a smudge on a great game's reputation. I am not saying it's going to be bad, but due to recent flops, I can't help to be overly cautious when developers decide to resurrect a perfectly good fossil. You can end up with a monstrous T-Rex of a game, or a failed experiment.
Nobody complained when they wanted to resurrect Wasteland, and these are the same guys that also made the original Torment. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make another good RPG.
Well that is all fine and good, and who is to say whether it be good or bad, none of us have the supernatural foresight to determine that (though based on their track record one can make a pretty good guess). Despite it's turnout, I would rather them either to just leave out the Torment name entirely, or have them work on a completely new IP. Which goes sort of hand in hand actually, considering the new Torment game will be placed in an entirely new world, which is fantastic...but why add the Torment name? Because of it's something fans will recognize and boost up sales? I guess I can look past that if that be the case cause hey...game companies need to make money to eh?

Though be it a business decision I can accept or not, I still don't like the idea of having a new Torment game, or rather I am not fond of the idea of sticking the Torment label on a game that isn't even going to take place in the same world as the original. If you want, you can call me one THOSE people who think developers should lay off perfectly fine, older titles with a pedigree shows dogs would be jealous of, but it's more about just the concept of leaving perfectly fine games alone and just let them be remembered for how awesome they are. It's more about the concept of leaving alone those certain type of games that really don't need sequels. Those type of games is a dying breed, because apparently the notion of everything needs a sequel has been widely adopted and accepted. Is nothing sacred anymore? Apparently not if the game industry think they can make money off it.

Anyways, I never said it was going to be a bad game, but I still think it is unnecessary to use the title of Torment when it isn't even going to be in Planescape. Now if it did something like how 2k games did with Bioshock, naming it more of a spiritual successor like it was with System Shock, then there wouldn't be any problem with me. Though if others like it to have the Torment title slapped onto it, that is all fine and dandy, though don't ask me to like it, as you can see I have my own opinions on such thing.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Dagda Mor said:
I think I might have already donated to this. Obsidian was trying to get funds for Project... Eternity, I think, on Kickstarter, and I donated some money to them, but I guess the name changed? I need to find out where that money went... Is Chris Avellone on this?
Project Eternity isn't a successor to Torment, but rather the infinity engine games as a whole. So they're trying to take elements from Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale. It is completely unrelated to this new Torment game. Chris Avellone is working on Project Eternity, but he isn't working on this new Torment game (as of now, the game is still in pre-production, and there's a lot of time for him to get on board), but it does have his approval.

Anyway, I am super excited for this. Planescape: Torment is a unique and fascinating game that needs a successor. Makes me all the more angry that I haven't finished it. As of now, it is officially much higher in my backlog priority.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Oh, very cool, very cool. I haven't yet played Planescape: Torment, though I have a copy of it sitting on my shelf right now. I'm planning on finishing Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 before I play it (I have gotten really into those old wRPG's now) but this is very cool news. I plan on getting Wasteland 2 when it's out and I guess this one will be added alongside that. Now I'm still new to these older games, but from what I've heard, Brian Fargo is a pretty legendary man in the cRPG scene, so these should be mighty good.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Jove said:
Lunar Shadow said:
That's cool and all, except they should call it something different.

Skoldpadda said:
I... you... I don't even... What?!
Cool answer. Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

Soviet Heavy said:
You wouldn't call Bioshock a Sequel to System Shock just because they both use the word Shock. Spiritual successor, yes, sequel, no.

Dragon Age Origins is a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor, not a sequel.
Except they both are different games with different names anyway.

That's why Bioware did the the RIGHT way. Make it a spiritual successor, not Baulders game 3 or a Baulders Gate: Shadow. JUST A NEW FREAKING GAME. I don't the game having ANYTHING to do with Torment, at all. In name or lore.
That's thing, they aren't calling it Torment except as a working title to give the press a name to use. THey haven't said what the title would be, just that it would be a Torment game, as in something similar.