New Total War: Warhammer Trailer Shows Off Chaos Warriors

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
008Zulu said:
Li Mu said:
He's referring to Battle Fleet Gothic. You can't build a base. You're in space!
In Star Trek Armada you had shipyards to build ships, and space stations to research tech upgrades. Even the ships in Gothic have to be built somewhere.
After each turn you will return to the sector fleet base where you can upgrade and customize your ships if they leveled up and/or expand your fleet by buying new ships if your admiral increased his rank. You will not build a base yourselfe.

Total war warhammer o nthe other hand is alot like rome 2 in the building and upgrading departmend. Most provinces have settlements and one larger city, if you control all the provinces tied to said larger city you should get a bonus for owning the entire region (atleast thats how it worked in rome 2)

Also only the big settlements actually have fortress walls, the smaller settlements dont to make the game flow more smoothly

Kahani

May 25, 2011
ffronw said:
If the Chaos Warriors look like your cup of tea, you'll want to pre-order Total War: Warhammer before it launches on Steam May 24, as only those who do so will be able to access them as a playable faction.
Yeah right, as if they'd do all the work to allow people to play as a major faction, but then go out of their way not to make any money by actually selling it to as many people as possible. Obviously it's going to be DLC and/or part of the inevitable complete/collectors/GoTY editions that will be popping up all over the place.

However, by far my biggest problem with the game is this:
Li Mu said:
Total Warhammer.
How could they possibly miss the opportunity to call it this?

Samtemdo8 said:
The problem with that is that the Total War series is built around large army battles in either a large field, castle/fortress sieges that most centers on melee combat and WH40k is too much of a different style of battles that is not compatible with the Total War gameplay. There is a reason why they have not made a World War II: Total War.

Yes they made Empire but those weapons are not automatic weapons and it takes forever to reload and even in that style of Warfare it still ends up with melee clashes along with Calvary.
In other words it's a perfect fit for 40K, which is built around having big melee clashes while the shooting goes on around it. Even Titans frequently have chainsaws and hammers, and the more powerful a character is, the more likely they're going to be charging into battle with a pointy stick and no helmet. Hell, they even have actual horse-mounted cavalry.

Ihateregistering1 said:
After the dull "Empire: Total War", and the poorly executed "Rome 2", I'm really trying to not get my hopes up too much for this.

But I can't. This looks absolutely phenomenal. When the first Total War game came out, this is basically the game I dreamed of them one day creating.
I'm in the same position. On the one hand, Empire and Rome 2 were just terrible. But on the other hand, Napoleon and Shogun 2 were pretty good, and apparently Attila isn't bad although I haven't played it myself. And having tried to play Shadow of the Horned Rat again recently via GoG, it would be really nice to have a game like that which isn't crippled by such a terrible interface and pathing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kahani said:
ffronw said:
If the Chaos Warriors look like your cup of tea, you'll want to pre-order Total War: Warhammer before it launches on Steam May 24, as only those who do so will be able to access them as a playable faction.
Yeah right, as if they'd do all the work to allow people to play as a major faction, but then go out of their way not to make any money by actually selling it to as many people as possible. Obviously it's going to be DLC and/or part of the inevitable complete/collectors/GoTY editions that will be popping up all over the place.

However, by far my biggest problem with the game is this:
Li Mu said:
Total Warhammer.
How could they possibly miss the opportunity to call it this?

Samtemdo8 said:
The problem with that is that the Total War series is built around large army battles in either a large field, castle/fortress sieges that most centers on melee combat and WH40k is too much of a different style of battles that is not compatible with the Total War gameplay. There is a reason why they have not made a World War II: Total War.

Yes they made Empire but those weapons are not automatic weapons and it takes forever to reload and even in that style of Warfare it still ends up with melee clashes along with Calvary.
In other words it's a perfect fit for 40K, which is built around having big melee clashes while the shooting goes on around it. Even Titans frequently have chainsaws and hammers, and the more powerful a character is, the more likely they're going to be charging into battle with a pointy stick and no helmet. Hell, they even have actual horse-mounted cavalry.

Ihateregistering1 said:
After the dull "Empire: Total War", and the poorly executed "Rome 2", I'm really trying to not get my hopes up too much for this.

But I can't. This looks absolutely phenomenal. When the first Total War game came out, this is basically the game I dreamed of them one day creating.
I'm in the same position. On the one hand, Empire and Rome 2 were just terrible. But on the other hand, Napoleon and Shogun 2 were pretty good, and apparently Attila isn't bad although I haven't played it myself. And having tried to play Shadow of the Horned Rat again recently via GoG, it would be really nice to have a game like that which isn't crippled by such a terrible interface and pathing.
I just don't know how are they going to balance the Vehicles like Tanks and Planes at the same time. And imagine trying to fight Deamon Princes who most likely would be ridiculously OP.

Heck which is also something I wonder how they are gonna balance in this game.

Also is Age of Charalmange DLC for Atilla Total War a great DLC?

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
I don't play Warhammer, but apparently not only is the lore terrible, they also introduced a bunch of rules that basically made it into a kids game. Things like "if you yell 'for Sigmar!!' and jump up and down 3 times, you can re-roll your last attack".
As far as I'm aware, that was confined to the 'legacy' rules for using old Warhammer models in Age of Shitmar (which they're in the process of phasing out for the most part). None of the new stuff they're selling has them. Whether you interpret that as a bit of fun of the older range, or salt on an open wound, is up to you.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I just don't know how are they going to balance the Vehicles like Tanks and Planes at the same time. And imagine trying to fight Deamon Princes who most likely would be ridiculously OP.

Heck which is also something I wonder how they are gonna balance in this game.
Well, one big advantage of adapting a game into a video game is that it should already be pretty well balanced. Obviously it won't be perfect when you change medium, change to real time, and so on, but there's no reason it would be an insurmountable problem. As long as there are economics or some sort of points system involved, it's easy to balance out more powerful units by simply making them more expensive to field, and often with a hard limit on the number allowed. Why should something like a greater demon be any more overpowered than in the tabletop game? You just make it an expensive unit, and the opposing player either fields something similarly expensive and overpowered against it, or simply tries to overwhelm it with waves of weaker mooks. There's no reason tabletop and video games would be any different in this regard.

And of course, we already have 40K RTS games. A Total War type game might use slightly different mechanics and work on a different scale, but the principle is exactly the same. If Dawn of War could balance ranged, melee, infantry, tanks, and everything else, why would it be such a big problem for another RTS?

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I've loved the total war seried for many a year now. And with that love, comes knowledge and acceptance of it's...foibles. I'll be picking this up in a year or two after they've ironed out the bugs and gotten rid of all the shitty paywalls.
It does look lovely though

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Dem spikey boyz sure look spikey! Looking forward to smashin' da pointy gitz wiv me orc boyz, dis will be a right laff'.

008Zulu said:
It does look good. My enthusiasm was dampened by there not being any Necrons.
If it can cheer you up the devs are currently taking a poll for which race the fans want to most see next. This combined with the admittance that due to the popular reception having increased the publisher's confidence in the title, meant that we will be getting a 6th race (5th being space marines) after launch for sure.

As for the poll itself..The three winning options as of time of writing are Tyranids, Tau aaaaand..Necrons :p

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Samtemdo8 said:
Huh? 40K has notoriously short range and frequently ineffective shooting, plus extensive melee and quite a few cavalry units.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Pyrian said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Huh? 40K has notoriously short range and frequently ineffective shooting, plus extensive melee and quite a few cavalry units.
Its just that when I think of the battle of Warhammer 40,000 I think of large skirmish battles in foxholes and hiding behind the protecion of tanks. I mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAH7kGEqic

Cannot be replicated in Total War as easily as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyU_1-Py0dA

And what I mean is that 40k are more "Skirmishy" then these Large Army on Army battles in Total War.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Certainly the scale is more in line with Epic 40K than with standard 40K, but that's true of the comparison between Total Warhammer and WFB, too. Other than that, though, if that latter video were 40K the big difference would be that there would be more ineffectual shooting before the lines crashed together. It's already got tanks, monsters, and artillery.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
OMG a promotional trailer showing the pre-order bonuses almost exclusively?! Sony, please. Stop fondling my balls! You'll get your fair share in due time.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
There allready had been an epic 40k though... you can get it on gog... called Final liberation. Empire vs orcs only though

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Frankster said:
Tyranids, Tau aaaaand..Necrons :p
Tyranids, oh yes, they would be fun to play I will admit. I hope they get their own single player campaign, I'm really bad at multiplayer games, for the most part.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
I just can't support Creative Assembly nor Games Workshop anymore. Both have put out some amazing creations, but for the last 5 years each has gotten horribly greedy and cared less and less for their player base. CA rrrreeeaallly burnt alot of fans of theirs with less stability, modability, and optimization pretty much each game to the point where I personally feel, if they hadn't put out Shogun 2, they wouldn't have a company anymore. Games Workshop desperately tries to still make profits by raising the price of their minatures, fucking any strategy left in their tabletop games, and peddling their brands into cheap spinoffs of all sort, so yeah, screw them. Screw them both!

"Check out this cool video about the only basic recurring faction in all Warhammer games! We're finished with the faction before release, so pay us more for them!"

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ninja51 said:
I just can't support Creative Assembly nor Games Workshop anymore. Both have put out some amazing creations, but for the last 5 years each has gotten horribly greedy and cared less and less for their player base. CA rrrreeeaallly burnt alot of fans of theirs with less stability, modability, and optimization pretty much each game to the point where I personally feel, if they hadn't put out Shogun 2, they wouldn't have a company anymore. Games Workshop desperately tries to still make profits by raising the price of their minatures, fucking any strategy left in their tabletop games, and peddling their brands into cheap spinoffs of all sort, so yeah, screw them. Screw them both!

"Check out this cool video about the only basic recurring faction in all Warhammer games! We're finished with the faction before release, so pay us more for them!"
From what I understand, it's almost entirely Sega's fault and not actually CA's. Sega rarely puts out decent Sonic games. How do you expect them to handle a strategy franchise when they can't even get keep flagship stable?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ninja51 said:

At this point might aswell buy miniatures for collection purposes.

I mean for fuck's sake these prices are ridiculous just trying to get enough minis to play a basic game would cost 100+ in currency.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Karl-Franz-on-Deathclaw

And I think creative assembly so far is showing more transparancy with this Total War.

I mean did they showed preview gameplay footage this often before Rome 2's release?

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
And I think creative assembly so far is showing more transparancy with this Total War.

I mean did they showed preview gameplay footage this often before Rome 2's release?
Maybe they're proud of their product again.