New Transformers Game Comes Over All Emotive

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
17,672
0
0
New Transformers Game Comes Over All Emotive

Is it possible to add emotional weight to a robot dinosaur? The new Transformers game thinks it is.

The new trailer for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - the sequel to last year's War for Cybertron - has pulled a "Gears of War" and set its new trailer to sad music - presumably in an effort to add more gravitas to its story of giant robots punching each other in the face.


Of course, the trailer - which devotes a significant portion of its runtime to Optimus Prime carrying an injured Bumblebee in his powerful truck-like arms - rather undermines its raw emotive power by introducing fan favorite Dinobot Grimlock at the end. It's hard to convey the horrors of an eons long war when you have a fire-breathing dinosaur roaming around, proclaiming himself to be "king [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjL9u_LgSXI]." Also featured in the trailer is Bruticus, the gestalt form of the Combaticons, as well as old hands like Megatron, Ironhide, and Starscream.

All joking aside, the trailer looks very pretty, especially as the robot designs are easier on the eye than the ever-so-busy "Bayformers," but it's all cinematics so it tells us exactly nothing about the actual game. Still, if someone wants to make an animated Transformers movie that looks like that, I wouldn't complain. Just get someone other than Maynard James Keenan to do the soundtrack, ok?

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is scheduled for release on PS3 and Xbox 360 in late 2012.

Source: Game Trailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-2011-transformers-fall/724684]

Permalink
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
I agree on the designs, I would much rather view an hour and a half CGI film of Transformers based on these designs than another Bayformer flick.
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
I enjoyed War for Cybertron, so I'm mildly excited for this. I . . . like the song, but I'm not sure it was the right choice for that trailer? If there had been less crazy explosions and more slow-motion Transformer deaths, maybe. And the lack of a dinosaur shooting fire at the camera at the end.

No PC release, though? That makes me sad.
 

White-Death

New member
Oct 31, 2011
223
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
I enjoyed War for Cybertron, so I'm mildly excited for this. I . . . like the song, but I'm not sure it was the right choice for that trailer? If there had been less crazy explosions and more slow-motion Transformer deaths, maybe. And the lack of a dinosaur shooting fire at the camera at the end.

No PC release, though? That makes me sad.
Metacritic appears to believe otherwise.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/transformers-fall-of-cybertron
Still, looks quite pretty, much more eye pleasure than bayformers.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
White-Death said:
Metacritic appears to believe otherwise.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/transformers-fall-of-cybertron
Still, looks quite pretty, much more eye pleasure than bayformers.
Hm. I suppose I'll find out in the coming months. Hopefully it will indeed have a PC release because I always enjoy shooters more with mouse controls than Xbox 360/PS3 controls.
 

imnot

New member
Apr 23, 2010
3,916
0
0
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Wait theres an alan wake trailer?
And it has uzis?
wat?
 

Itsthefuzz

New member
Apr 1, 2010
221
0
0
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Well I like this trailer.
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Itsthefuzz said:
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Well I like this trailer.
Good for you. I was bored after the minute-mark, and its pretty lazy.

imnotparanoid said:
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Wait theres an alan wake trailer?
And it has uzis?
wat?
I think the subtitle is American Nightmare if you want to find it on Youtube, or its on Gametrailers.
 

Itsthefuzz

New member
Apr 1, 2010
221
0
0
Woodsey said:
Itsthefuzz said:
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Well I like this trailer.
Good for you. I was bored after the minute-mark, and its pretty lazy.
Well, I wasn't. I wasn't bored at all.
 

imnot

New member
Apr 23, 2010
3,916
0
0
Woodsey said:
I think the subtitle is American Nightmare if you want to find it on Youtube, or its on Gametrailers.
Yeah I looked it up earlier. It doesnt really look like Alan Wake, Also Where's his tweed jacket?!, that was the best character in the game!
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
I guess I'm one of the people who LOVED that trailer!
I thought it was very well done (the music and the scene etc). Also while it was bloody awesome seeing Bruticus and Grimlock transformation, it look like Soundwave may not be in it or at least in the same state as Bumblebee (he was the Decepticon that Jazz shot in the chest.
I'm honestly hoping they do release it for the PC as I finally getting a new PC soon (still next fall is one hell of a wait).
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
9,909
0
0
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Yes, the VGAs are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. It's hard for them to be taken seriously when the industry they revolve around doesn't take them seriously either.

I do admit that I find the new Rainbow 6 game a bit... disturbing. Largely because I've noticed a general trend to want to treat patriotism as a bad thing especially given all of the attention being focused on the goverment and it's failings.

I'm somewhere between the left and right wings when it comes to domestic policy. All I could think of when I saw the trailer and the "terrorists" revealed that the guy you were seeing through the eyes off was a banker who made a fortune off of thse forclosure scams was "about time one of these scumbags gets it". I mean sure, threatening his family could be considered "evil" but how many families did this guy oust from their homes? Then when we've got goverment anti-terrorist dudes gunning these people down... I don't know, the whole situation just kind of blew chips.

I think OWS (Occupy Wall Street) was a joke, and missed a lot of valid points, not to mention failing to target the guys actually responsible (which takes actions very similar to what we saw in that trailer), and as a joke needed to be dealt with as the public nuisance it actually was. However when I start hearing about the goverment declaring the US a battleground and wanting to give the goverment wartime powers to arrest and detain without having to declare martial law? Yeah... well, I'm wondering if the time is going to come soon where I'm going to have a gun in my hand and the desire to use it.

That said, I agree most of the recent trailers I've seen are pretty lame. Alan Wake isn't going in the sandbox direction originally promised (or so it seems), Transformers (what this article is about) yet again fails to impress, and everything else is just "meh".

Speaking for myself I'm glad that the pre-start for Old Republic Online is in 2 days if the annoucement I've gotten is accurate (the 13th for those who pre-ordered and are pre-registered with a guild... I'll be coming in alongside my guild from Star Wars Galaxies), and then if that fails we should have "The Secret World" in a few months. That should keep me occupied even if both games blow chips since it takes time to give an MMO a fair shake.... it seems to me that 2012 is going to be a horrible year for games so far, nothing I've seen has impressed me much at all except maybe "Kingdoms of Amaultur" and even that seems very 'iffy'... like it's trying too hard to be "Dragon Age: Origins".
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
Caramel Frappe said:
It was well played, but the ending sort of rubbed me off the wrong way. Like when the 'evil' decepticon turns into a T-rex, it made me go "There's no machine or vehicle that turns into a dinosaur.. what is this?" because truth be told my impression was a war of robots with a 'soul' intact to have some emotion.

Yet, the ending made me feel like the war can't be taken so seriously. If he changed to something moderate or believable (yeah I know, it's a cartoon/fiction game but still) then it'd have more meaning in my eyes.
It's clearly you're not into Transformers since that was no evil Decepticon, that was Grimlock, an Autobot that can transform into a robot T-Rex!! So sorry that you didn't feel it was right when they actually were faithful since after all they could of made Grimlock into a truck in one of the perivous incarnation of the franchise.
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Therumancer said:
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Yes, the VGAs are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. It's hard for them to be taken seriously when the industry they revolve around doesn't take them seriously either.

I do admit that I find the new Rainbow 6 game a bit... disturbing. Largely because I've noticed a general trend to want to treat patriotism as a bad thing especially given all of the attention being focused on the goverment and it's failings.
Patriotism is for muppets. And I meant the latest one from VGA, its on Gametrailers. Pretty sure they've said they're trying to walk an interesting line with the story, which is bound to come out if the guys you're fighting are a bunch of guys who are rightfully sore about being wrongfully fucked - if anything the game seems pretty left-wing (ironically, given Tom Clancy's stamped on it).

Itsthefuzz said:
Woodsey said:
Itsthefuzz said:
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Well I like this trailer.
Good for you. I was bored after the minute-mark, and its pretty lazy.
Well, I wasn't. I wasn't bored at all.
Is there a point here that I should give a shit about?
 

Itsthefuzz

New member
Apr 1, 2010
221
0
0
Woodsey said:
Itsthefuzz said:
Woodsey said:
Itsthefuzz said:
Woodsey said:
Snore.

Some of the VGA trailers have been a real disappointment.

All the speculation around The Last of Us? The big reveal? Its a post-apocalyptic NYC.

Hitman: Absolution? More fucking shooting. Whoop.

The new Alan Wake thing looks like they've missed the point: uzis and auto-shotguns are now in.
Genius.

On the plus side, the BioShock Infinite trailer was good, and the Rainbow 6: Patriots debut was a real surprise, although I'm presuming we don't play as the Patriots ourselves, which is a little disappointing.
Well I like this trailer.
Good for you. I was bored after the minute-mark, and its pretty lazy.
Well, I wasn't. I wasn't bored at all.
Is there a point here that I should give a shit about?
I don't know, but if there is a point I give a shit about it even if you don't.
 

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
5,264
0
0
Sexy.

First game was rather enjoyable (not better than the Atari TF for PS2, but damn close) so I'm hoping this will be the same.

Just hope the SP is a bit more, extended, than the first game and the online there's a 'VS Bots' mode.

Went online and EVERY damn time I got my ass kicked by the humans because I wasn't able to train a little with some AI bots.
 

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
4,282
0
0
I have to say, I feel like this'll be one of those really good sequels. WfC was actually pretty good, and now they probably know exactly how to improve it.

I'm trying to think of other examples of the sequel jump I'm expecting...

EDIT: Maybe AssCreed 1 to 2.
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
I posted this here 2 days ago -.-

But still YEY BRUTICUS!

I have a sudden urge to munch metal...anyone else?