New Vegas After the Patch

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
With prior knowledge that Obsidian games are broken at release, I held off buying New Vegas. Now that the patch is out, I am considering it, but I want some feedback first.
Is the game in a playable state at the moment?
I'm looking at the PC version.

DJDandeelion

Jul 24, 2010
I just got it a few days ago for PS3, after 6 hours I had no restart everything due to broken save files that crashed the game when it tried to save.
This time it works better because I turned off the auto save. I say you should turn off the auto save when you start and don't over write anything or you might end up like me, stuck in a room, where it crashes if you open the door.
Thats the only big bug I found so far, lets hope its the last.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
No. It's still fucking broken as hell.

I have just gotten stuck in VATS and had to reload a save 4 times in one hour.

Quests are still un-finishable, my inventory is still clogged with 'cannot drop' items from quests and the radscorpions are still upside down and stuck in rocks.

Plus, the loading screens are still excruciatingly long.... when they don't freeze.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
What system are you buying it for? Since the patch it has worked beautifully on my PC.

Herminator09

Sep 9, 2009
I have it for PC and after the new patches the only problems I encounter is the occasional crash to desktop every few hours and NPCs sometimes being stuck underground (which rarely happens).

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
FOr the PC, and with the latest patch, it works pretty well - only one crash so far, though I did get one incredibly annoying bug the last time I played today.

I don't know about the console versions, though.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
I only ever encountered the disappearing companions bug beforehand(and the occasional scorpion in a rock,) but now it's all good.

...So it still varies I guess.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
If you're getting it for 360/PC go crazy. If you are going for Ps3 my friend told me it runs like fucking shit.

You've been warned.

jobobob

Oct 17, 2008
For the PC as well too, I have yet to crash since the patch, the only problems I have are with lever action weapons acting weird.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
If you're getting it for 360/PC go crazy. If you are going for Ps3 my friend told me it runs like fucking shit.

You've been warned.
I vouch for this on ps3. I just tried to get back into the game and freezing twice in a row in the same spot was too much for me. I really hope they fix their damn game.

benderinTime

Dec 27, 2010
No, the patch doesn't fix everything.
The game is still effectively broken, but I know people who have never encountered a bug, but I now save every 10 minutes just to make sure that when it crashes (And praying that my save doesn't corrupt randomly) I can reload a save. The patch fixed some of the bugs, but I've still randomly crashed multiple times.
You might have better luck than me, but I personally wouldn't buy a shitty game such as this.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well it has no problems on my copy, except a radscorpion stuck in the ground :p but yeah, buy it for the Xbox 360 and it will be fine.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I've been playing it on the PC since Christmas and the only problem I've had is that the launcher randomly will crash immediately upon clicking the "play" button in Steam. But clicking it again generally has it run properly.

Just stay away from the PS3 version. Even if your choices are to get the PS3 version or not playing the game for a while, you're better off not playing the game than wasting a cent on the PS3 version of this. The PS3 version of Fallout 3 ran like crap (the more you play, the bigger your save file gets, and the bigger that gets the more frequently the game locks up and/or freezes), and they didn't fix a damn thing for New Vegas, so it also runs like crap.

So I say get it, as long as it's not a PS3 copy.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
The PC is absolutely playable. Just search around the New Vegas nexus for user made fixes. They're really helpful.

Sep 14, 2009
well beforehand i hardly had anything happen ever..just the occasional enemy drop and random funny glitch, but with the patch it never happens now..so my game is basically flawless.

suubersnake

The Wizard
Nov 30, 2009
For my PC the game is very stable. It crashes randomly about once every three to ten hours, but other than that, there haven't really been any problems.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I started another playthrough...and then stopped after ten minutes. After seeing a few loading screens, I remembered how often I would have to sit there looking at those things and how much progressively (regressively?) longer they would get as I'd continue. Then I said, "No sir, I will have to come back to this in a few months or more".

This is why I like elevators in Mass Effect. And why I like controlling Altair, Ezio, and Desmond in Assassins creed during loading screens. And why I love (probably too much) whaling away at that punching bag during waiting times in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Just give me something to do, ANYTHING!!

Just put something in there. Make my avatar play with a hula-hoop.

I'm pretty mad at Obsidian again. I just played Knights of the Old Republic 2 again, and those rude sound glitches were ever-present. They sound farts put through an Auto-Tune.