New Vegas: Does DLC order matter?

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
I found that Lonesome Road, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, then Dead money is great, especial if your character is more the smooth talker/sniper type character. All of the mentions of Ulysses are call backs and all of the call backs to Father Elijah become foreshadowing.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I just replayed through them and while none are important, each one does reference the next, so if you want the "plot," play Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, then Lonesome Road.

Lonesome Road is the most important to play last plot-wise since it sets up the finale for the 2nd Invasion of the Hoover Dam in the main storyline but again its not that important.

I don't think anything is mentioned in Honest Hearts except they might reference the Lonesome Road during the ending slides of HH, other then that Honest Hearts is basically non-canon.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
The only one that matters is Lonesome Road, which should absolutely be played last. As for the other three, it doesn't really matter, although I personally feel someone would get the experience by going in order of Honest Hearts, Dead Money, and then Old World Blues, because each of those brings you into the larger plot involving Ulysses and the Divide a lot more deeply than the last. I also think it's best to play Honest Hearts first just because it's easier and more relaxed than the other three, so it's a good way to ease into the DLC.

absulute

Apr 30, 2013
This thread inspired me to boot up Dead Money again and boy, I forgot how much I HATE it.

EDIT: I should add that I LOVE New Vegas in general, it's just this damn DLC.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I incidentally just finished Dead Money yesterday on my new character, and even though I loved it, I have to admit that it has some ridiculous difficulty-spikes, especially for a non-sneaky character build. Even worse, the DLC do have some REALLY annoying parts to it, like the goddamn loud-speakers that make your head explode, or the hologram-guards that can take you down in three or four lucky shots (and the only way you can get rid of some of those guys is by finding their tiny little emitters hidden on the map). So yeah, that DLC was a little rough around the edges, but otherwise it was pretty damn well written and a different experience from the rest of the game, so I am not complaining that much.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
My advice for getting the DLC's for New Vegas is simply don't.

Dead Money was especially appalling, my Lifetime Achievement game for Most Rancidly Toxic Runoff, and I didn't like the rest. At all.

Old World Blues was just alright, but that's as good as they get. None of them were of any interest to me and had little to no comedic value either.

So yeah. Mothership Zeta for Fallout 3 and all DLC's for New Vegas: don't get/10.