New Vegas Factions

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
For those who have played the game Fallout - New Vegas, you'll know that the ending can be influenced by player decisions to allow for one of four major factions to ultimately own both the city of New Vegas and the surrounding Mojave region. There is the New California Republic (or NCR), which is a pre-war USA-style nation based in, of course, California: Caesar's Legion, a group of violent neo-Roman slavers: Mr House, a 200-year-old human and owner of New Vegas; and the player character himself/herself, with the help of a robot called Yes Man.

At the moment, I am doing a playthrough which supports Mr House. It only seems fair that he should be in charge as he has practically owned the city for centuries and is the only character who is actually from what we would recognise as "our world". Plus, helping the other factions usually involves killing House, and since he is literally on life support, that just seems........low to me.

What about you guys?

Who do you support most of the time?

Post-war California?

Pseudo-Roman salvers?

The face on the screen?

Or the......smiley face on the screen?

Please explain your choices.

Jul 22, 2009
Generally in a true runthrough I try and be good and do what I would do.

So I supported the NCR until quite late in the game, until I realised they're completely useless.

At which point I killed and overthrew Mr. House then took control of the Mojave for myself.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I helped the NCR. The Legion are all bastards, I am but a simple courier, I need not the New Vegas Strip, so they were the most deserving. You make a the argument that House was around before the war, but that doesn't mean he knows whats best now. Everything has changed since then, and theres no going back, just moving forward. Also, you can just disconnect House from the computer, but still keep him alive, I did that, I go and talk to him occasionally. Funnily enough he doesn't like me that much...

The NCR are the best faction in my eyes. Sure they're aren't perfect, they have flaws, but they have the best intentions, and are the closest thing to a democracy in the Wastes.

Jul 19, 2009
I resent the accusation that Caesar's Legion is "violent". To their enemies, maybe. Bitter Springs ringing any bells?

I support the Legion, mostly because the Legion isn't about to start another Enclave like the NCR Army/NCR Ranger split will, and because House isn't planning on making anyone but himself and Vegas prosper.

I hate how all the Legion quests are pretty broken, though. :/

Susano

Dec 25, 2008
Uuugh, I'm going to have to make this decision eventually.

So far I've been nice to pretty much everyone apart from the Powder Gangers. NCR and House both like me, and Caesar's Legion won't kill me on sight yet.
I'm definitely not going to support Caesars Legion, I completely disagree with them.
I would support NCR, but a lot of people seem to dislike them, and yeah, how are politicians hundreds of miles away going to know what's best for the people of New Vegas?
I haven't talked to House all that much yet, but there are people starving and killing each other in the streets of Westside, and I doubt he cares all that much for them.

Sigh! If there was an option to put the Followers of the Apocalypse in charge, I would do that. They seem like decent people.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Susano said:
Sigh! If there was an option to put the Followers of the Apocalypse in charge, I would do that. They seem like decent people.
There is an option to take over Vegas yourself. Then you can offer the Followers to join up with you.

Jul 19, 2009
Susano said:
I would support NCR, but a lot of people seem to dislike them, and yeah, how are politicians hundreds of miles away going to know what's best for the people of New Vegas?
It's not even politicians, it's the army and the Brahmin barons. Ambassador Crocker gets forcibly removed from his post at the Embassy on the Strip if Colonel Moore decides that political discussion will go nowhere in the Kings Gambit quest, mostly because Moore doesn't like him.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
GamesB2 said:
Generally in a true runthrough I try and be good and do what I would do.

So I supported the NCR until quite late in the game, until I realised they're completely useless.

At which point I killed and overthrew Mr. House then took control of the Mojave for myself.
Yeah I did the same. Freedom without taxation!

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I've played through all the scenarios except Caesar at this point. I'll never help Caesar, as I play female and that just seems counter intuitive to my interests.

But this most current playthrough is my "perfect" playthrough, or the one I'll use for my DLC playthrough. And I will choose myself - or the smiley face as you put it. I choose that route because it gives me the most flexibility. The smiley face has no demands other than what I choose. If I want to befriend the Brotherhood, the smiley face has no problem with that. If I want the Kahns to stick around, again, no problems.

It seems to me, no matter which faction you choose, someone loses. Which is true to real life as well. So I like choosing myself because then I feel like my character is taking some personal responsibility for what is happening in New Vegas.

RoseCoveredCadaver

Dec 24, 2010
NCR is like America is today, so that's out of the question. Mr. House COULD run the city I suppose, which would be the most sensible choice, but would he have ultirior motives I wouldn't know about? The Legion is...well...self-explanatory.

And if ANYONE should run the place, it would be me, because I'm good at that sort of thing. Forgoing what is morally right, I would have to go with Yes Man.

DatCracker

Nov 3, 2010
The Kings!
They're hilarious :D

GamesB2 said:
I overthrew Mr. House too.
Though I don't mind the NCR, I liked the Enclave from Fallout 3, so I shouted "YOU POSERS!" and killed Mr. House.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I haven't experienced Caesar's Legion as a Faction that i've joined yet but I really don't like what i'm seeing of them. I don't know if I can stomach joining them....

My first playthrough had my joining the NCR and at the moment on my second playthrough I'm with Mr House.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Nitpicker of the Wastes said:
I resent the accusation that Caesar's Legion is "violent". To their enemies, maybe. Bitter Springs ringing any bells?
The Legion is unquestionably violent and cruel. They maim and booby-trap enemies, actively practice slavery and they also betray their allies murder or enslave most of the tribes.

And on the point of Bitter Springs, that may have been a legitimate accident and genuine mis-communication. Camp Searchlight, on the other hand, was a deliberate act.

That said, I'll probably side with the Legion at least once. Just to see their ending. So far, I'm on my fourth play ( first and second times through I took over New Vegas, third time I went with the NCR) and I'm considering siding with the NCR again.
I will go side with Mister House on one playthrough,then I might go back through for each faction but try as hard as possible to go, and stay, evil.

Jul 19, 2009
twistedmic said:
The Legion is unquestionably violent and cruel. They maim and booby-trap enemies, actively practice slavery and they also betray their allies murder or enslave most of the tribes.
And taking the ears off of corpses is a perfectly acceptable act? What about Mean Sonofabitch in Westside, who was tortured just because he was a super mutant? What about Norton and his mercs, who're attacking Jacobstown because NCR ordered them to?

Plus, if you talk to Antony in the Fort, he'll mention that he used to be a member of the Hangdogs, who were one of two tribes (the other being the Twisted Hairs) to stand against the Legion. Both his account and the Great Khan ending mention that, while they're pretty much forced to accept the Legion culture, they still get to keep their old culture around so it serves the Legion. (Unlike NCR, which would much rather wipe out the Khans like they did to the Vipers and Jackals.)

And on the point of Bitter Springs, that may have been a legitimate accident and genuine mis-communication. Camp Searchlight, on the other hand, was a deliberate act.
Everyone who mentions Bitter Springs (Manny and Boone in Novac, the Great Khans, Sgt. Bitter-Root and Cpl. Sterling at McCarran) says that it was terrible AND that it was planned. NCR had cavalry (All Roads) and snipers (1st Recon) prepared to exterminate the camp.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
thejboy88 said:
For those who have played the game Fallout - New Vegas, you'll know that the ending can be influenced by player decisions to allow for one of four major factions to ultimately own both the city of New Vegas and the surrounding Mojave region. There is the New California Republic (or NCR), which is a pre-war USA-style nation based in, of course, California: Caesar's Legion, a group of violent neo-Roman slavers: Mr House, a 200-year-old human and owner of New Vegas; and the player character himself/herself, with the help of a robot called Yes Man.

At the moment, I am doing a playthrough which supports Mr House. It only seems fair that he should be in charge as he has practically owned the city for centuries and is the only character who is actually from what we would recognise as "our world". Plus, helping the other factions usually involves killing House, and since he is literally on life support, that just seems........low to me.

What about you guys?

Who do you support most of the time?

Post-war California?

Pseudo-Roman salvers?

The face on the screen?

Or the......smiley face on the screen?

Please explain your choices.
I have done every ending, and i find the one that is most pleasing and fun to do is to help yes man to help you take control of new vegas. as for mr. house, well he has lived for way to long so i like to give him a fast painless death, if im being nice.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Nitpicker of the Wastes said:

I support the Legion, mostly because the Legion isn't about to start another Enclave like the NCR Army/NCR Ranger split will, and because House isn't planning on making anyone but himself and Vegas prosper.

I hate how all the Legion quests are pretty broken, though. :/
Not violent?!

The first time the player usually finds the Legion is when they've burned down a village, killed it's inhabitants and cricified the survivors.

If that's "not violent" to you Id hate to see what you think IS!

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Meh, each faction has its highs and lows and depending on your own viewpoint each one is worse than another. I sided with the NCR mostly because they may be a slow bureaucracy but it holds the ideals of freedom of speech and individuality, and to top it off the NCR is a indirect side affect of The Vault Dwellers intervention in the region. So ya, no matter how slow they are there is always a chance for the intention to shine through all the red tape.

Either that or hand it over to the Brotherhood, they got the tech and the understanding of how to handle idiotic wasters.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
First Playthrough: All House until I met Yes Man. That guy is a true bro.

Second Playthrough: A subtle Legion supporter. I help to NCR when I can so I don't have their rangers coming after me. Surprisingly fun.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
No gods. No masters.

House wanted me to blow up Brotherhood
No.
NCR wanted me to blow up Brotherhood
No.
Legion is a bunch of sexiest slavers
Hell No.
Alright YesMan. Let's do it