New Vegas, Where's the Epic?

joinchoir

meme meme meme
Apr 4, 2010
Spoiler alert, don't read this thread if you haven't started playing yet.

Lvl 4 and dissapointed.
Which is better? The epic tale of Vault Boy, thrust into a new and dangerous world in search of his father or the less than mediocre tale of some guy the robot dug out of the dirt? So many missed opportunities. New Vegas has some very cool elements of culture. Why didn?t our character start out as a member of one of the many cultures and then establish relationships with the new and different groups. I can?t stop thinking that this is just my old character dropped in a new place. In the void of any meaningful self history I have to fill in the blanks. There are some neat things with the new recipes etc. but unless something amazing happens Its just sort of meh.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Understandable.
But im quite fine with it really. Its nice to have something different. You cant really top the intro to FO3, as they managed to nail it pretty well, so insted they just tried to make a good intro, and i think thats what they did.

If you cant beat it, dont bother trying.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I kind of like it. So many games rely on the whole, "You're saving the world!" plot line, it gets old.

This, "You've been shot! You're just a victim of crossfire between two warring factions! They think you are nothing! Now get some revenge!"

Also, I am interested to know about the:

Messenger who kind of set you up.

It's playing out like a noir whodunnit in my mind, and I don't see no problem with that.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I can understand your concern but I have to disagree. I haven't played New Vegas yet so anything I say about it is mostly bullshit, but I'm more going to be talking about the general idea of freedom.

I like when RPGs don't give you jack. When they drop you in a world with limited backstory and say: "Go wild, create the story for yourself". For me you need to be a blank state in an RPG, a faceless (not literally) avatar that basically let's the player encounter the world. Fallout 3's story failed in that respect, atleast to some degree.

Fallout 2 nailed it. You're some village guy that needs to save his village. After a grand total of 10 minutes that plot is only a minor thread through events and you embark to basically explore cities, have fun and write your own tale. No responsibilities, no tacked on moral dilemmas because you're from a 'good village'. If you don't want to tell anyone about your past you don't have to. No one needs to know about you.

You want backstory? Go join a faction, join the slavers or the NCR or whatever. I like that aspect of RPGs and it seems like New Vegas will follow suit.

Tremp10k

Aug 23, 2009
im lvl 7 and i find that the entire world is epic never before have i shit my pants when i see a rad scorpion those fuckers learned to travel in packs of like 15 plus all the abandoned bases in bright landscape make me want to explore more and more but the increased danger in this game makes me think twice about diving straight into the deathclaw den it makes you feel more like someone trying to survive as opposed to a walking tank like in the last game

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
If i recall correctly... Van Buren was going to be very similar.

So I see New Vegas as kind of a spiritual ... uh... Okay, there's a word for it. You can pick your own.

But I like that it's different, It really does show off the harshness and divided nature of the Fallout universe, kinda as it was meant to be. And the character is all part of that, not some sheltered outsider looking in on this strange culture. I think it's brilliant.

Radioactive Bob

Jul 12, 2010
I actually prefer New Vegas's story over FO3's. New Vegas has such a richer culture to it with the different factions and how they all compete with eachother and make allience at times and all that. Plus, i absolutely love how there's more people to interact with now in small communities unlike FO3 were it felt like Megaton and Tenpenny was the only place to talk to people.

However, i do find it weird that your character supposedly knows nothing about these huge factions that have been around for decades trying to take control of a giant neon city...just sayin'.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
I thought the intro for New Vegas was the best I have ever seen in a game. Ever. Perry's delivery of the line "Truth is baby.. the game was rigged from the start" and the headshot was executed (edit: PUN) superbly and made me think "I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS!" way more than the intro to Fallout 3 did.

However I do agree in some ways. I loved the whole vault side of Fallout 3 and it's kinda missing in New Vegas.

Ziltoid

Sep 29, 2009
New Vegas intro is so much better than Fallout 3's. I feel it fits the dark, mature theme of Fallout much better.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
The thing about New Vegas is the intro basically smacks you down right before the headshot. It pops you in the face, screams in your ear "YOU ARE NOONE! Whatchu gonna do bout it?", then runs off into the sunset with an evil cackle and your pants.

Makes it all the more satisfying when you get your revenge after leveling up a few times and evolving into the biggest badass in the wasteland.

Also, Fallout 3's plot is quite... stale? I mean, find your dad, save the world. No matter what happens, you ALWAYS end up saving the world. Same old stuff. In New Vegas, you claw your way up to the top of the food chain, get revenge and rule the wasteland, making it better or pushing it into chaos. Seems to be a much better story to me.

Kortney said:
I thought the intro for New Vegas was the best I have ever seen in a game. Ever. Perry's delivery of the line "Truth is baby.. the game was rigged from the start" and the headshot was executed (edit: PUN) superbly and made me think "I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS!" way more than the intro to Fallout 3 did.
But but but... Fallout 3 had Liam Neeson! The only real reason why I was so determined to find Dad was so that I could hear that voice again...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
joinchoir said:
Which is better? The epic tale of Vault Boy, thrust into a new and dangerous world in search of his father or the less than mediocre tale of some guy the robot dug out of the dirt?
I can do that too.
Which is better? The epic tale of The Courier, miraculously surviving a surviving a gunshot to the head to track down his would-be killer and changing the fate of the Mojave or the less than mediocre tale of Vault Boy, who strolls out of his house to sort out his daddy issues.

Now I think Fallout 3 was actually a good game, but I just couldn't get into it. I have been enjoying New Vegas greatly, though, and am on my second playthrough already. The world and characters that fill it feel more real and that alone makes me want to be a part of the story.
The faction system is genius, making each playthrough feel more unique.

And epic is when you stumble out in front of the Boomers territory for the first time, not taking the road but going over the hill.
-Clank, clank, clank
-"What is that noise? Whatever, now where is that Brotherhood party..."
-Boosh....BAM!! "Shit!!! Explosions from the sky!!!" Boosh...BAAMM!! "Gods save me!!!"
-Boosh....BAM!!! Cue me becoming a bloody ragdoll

That's epic, baby.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
But but but... Fallout 3 had Liam Neeson! The only real reason why I was so determined to find Dad was so that I could hear that voice again...
Neeson wasn't in the intro cinematic for Fallout 3 ;)

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Wait you're level 4, and you're wondering where the epic is? Play it a little more.
I think the opening is much better than FO3. It allows you to come up with the backstory of your character. The basic thing of course, is being a courier. But the rest of the characterization is up to you. Considering it is a RPG, which focuses on creating your own character and backstory. It has no true linear opening, where your elementary years are described. Instead it gives you a single event, and everything else about your character is up to you.

joinchoir

meme meme meme
Apr 4, 2010
DustyDrB said:
joinchoir said:
Which is better? The epic tale of Vault Boy, thrust into a new and dangerous world in search of his father or the less than mediocre tale of some guy the robot dug out of the dirt?
I can do that too.
Which is better? The epic tale of The Courier, miraculously surviving a surviving a gunshot to the head to track down his would-be killer and changing the fate of the Mojave or the less than mediocre tale of Vault Boy, who strolls out of his house to sort out his daddy issues.

Now I think Fallout 3 was actually a good game, but I just couldn't get into it. I have been enjoying New Vegas greatly, though, and am on my second playthrough already. The world and characters that fill it feel more real and that alone makes me want to be a part of the story.
The faction system is genius, making each playthrough feel more unique.

And epic is when you stumble out in front of the Boomers territory for the first time, not taking the road but going over the hill.
-Clank, clank, clank
-"What is that noise? Whatever, now where is that Brotherhood party..."
-Boosh....BAM!! "Shit!!! Explosions from the sky!!!" Boosh...BAAMM!! "Gods save me!!!"
-Boosh....BAM!!! Cue me becoming a bloody ragdoll

That's epic, baby.
There are some really cool things. I do like the factions but just feel it would be better had you started out as a member of on of those factions, with a history and then learned the ways of the world, made alliances etc. I want to save the world not just choose which flawed plan is best for mankind. Think about all the epic tales: An ordinary unremarkable hobbit finds himself in the company of dwarves and riddling with a dragon. He started in the ordinary world and the found himself in a new and dangerous place. Neo's choice of red pill or blue pill. Luke starting as a farmer but finding R2 and being drawn into a galactic conflict. In FO3 you have that transition. I'm level 22 and still missing that sense of epic.

In FO3 even the radio stations play a huge roll. The voice of John Henry Eden giving you clues to what he might be and Three Dog being a real rebel fighting for humanity. In New Vegas there are some interesting news stories and they do mention your progress but it falls a bit flat.

I liked having an easier to get to home to fast walk to. In this game the importance of what you are wearing is cool but it would be nice if you could more easily change and deposit your cloths.

Both games would have been better if you could buy display cases or manikins for the equipment you collected to show off your trophies.

I usually can't stop playing a game like this but when my kid wanted it for Black-ops, even though I wasn't done, I had no problem giving it up.

This game is so much about doing all the little tasks that it reminds me of Animal Crossing. I keep waiting for Tom Nook to show up and offer me a job.

I may go back and play a character specializing in melee and survival to take advantage of the unarmed combat gurus and all the recipes. The hardcore mode is a plus and the fact that you don't dare travel off road for fear of your life is excellent.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
New Vegas has Fallout 2's depth and Fallout 3's gameplay. What's not to like? Besides the bugs, I mean.