New Vegas: Wild Wasteland

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
For those of you who don't know, this is a perk that can be chosen at the beginning of Fallout: New Vegas which allows you to see all the hidden Easter eggs and pop-culture references in the game. Apparently if you do not chose the perk then the game plays as normal with none of these. An example of this may be, in Fallout 3, say, when a character gets shot and shouts "'tis but a flesh wound" - Monty Python. In fact there is a a full list on VaultWiki [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_reference] with most of the references on.

Anyway it seems that some players complained about this, hence New Vegas has added the option to censor this. So my question (seems pretty obvious), are you going to take the Wild Wasteland perk and experience New Vegas' references or Easter Eggs, or will you go sans?
A better summary of it can be found on IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1119149p1.html]

tredecim

Aug 25, 2010
It's an interesting concept, actually. Almost like playing the game with a 'director's commentary' playing over it.

Not the sort of thing I'd do for the first playthrough, but maybe after completing, and playing again, it could be interesting to see all the references :)

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
there is a certain grenade that people might remember from Fallout 2 that is a pop-culture reference that you can find. And if you don't find that specific grenade, you will find a mini-nuke instead. So either way you get something cool, and if you have Wild Wasteland you get something funny out of it ? and if you don't, you still get a mininuke, which is pretty nice.
So it seems they have made it fair for those who do and do not choose the perk. Personally though, on my first playthrough, I think I will choose it as I enjoy the cultural references :)

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
people complained about pop references in a fallout game? where are these heathens?

Fallout never took itself seriously before so of course I'll take the perk.

Mar 30, 2010
Fallout wouldn't be Fallout without the pop culture references! I still remember running into Arthur and his Knights in Fallout 2, on their quest for the Holy Hand Grenade - I laughed so hard at that. Seems a shame that I'll have to waste a Perk on getting the full Fallout experience though - surely it would have been better to have it as a menu option?

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
on my second play through most defiantly i love commentaries and the like when i go through a story the second time

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
I loved finding all the wierd little oddities in Fallout 1 and 2, like the crashed ufo and the Tardis.
I shall be taking the perk for sure.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
All the pop-cultural references and gags were what lightened the mood and added alot of humour to the first two games, so yeah its a given i'll take it.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The pop-culture references always make me smile, just because I don't know all of them and finding out what they're from can help me learn new things.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
JWRosser said:
For those of you who don't know, this is a perk that can be chosen at the beginning of Fallout: New Vegas which allows you to see all the hidden Easter eggs and pop-culture references in the game. Apparently if you do not chose the perk then the game plays as normal with none of these. An example of this may be, in Fallout 3, say, when a character gets shot and shouts "'tis but a flesh wound" - Monty Python. In fact there is a a full list on VaultWiki [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cultural_reference] with most of the references on.

Anyway it seems that some players complained about this, hence New Vegas has added the option to censor this. So my question (seems pretty obvious), are you going to take the Wild Wasteland perk and experience New Vegas' references or Easter Eggs, or will you go sans?
A better summary of it can be found on IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1119149p1.html]
I don't think it should be a perk that take away one option from something you can USE, but I think it would be an awesome to have in the options menu. The hardest part of Fallout 3 was starting off and scavenging for Ammo, so wasting one of your perks on something to have easter egg references pop up would be reserved for only the tough and the hardcore (or the not-so-blundering-newbs), so the new people who want to make sure their character is as buffed as possible to venture the waste land won't be able to SAmple this until a second play through.

So it's an awesome concept, but it should have been an option you choose upon starting the game, not a perk

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Celtic_Kerr said:
JWRosser said:

I don't think it should be a perk that take away one option from something you can USE, but I think it would be an awesome to have in the options menu. The hardest part of Fallout 3 was starting off and scavenging for Ammo, so wasting one of your perks on something to have easter egg references pop up would be reserved for only the tough and the hardcore (or the not-so-blundering-newbs), so the new people who want to make sure their character is as buffed as possible to venture the waste land won't be able to SAmple this until a second play through.

So it's an awesome concept, but it should have been an option you choose upon starting the game, not a perk
I *think* it is something you choose at the beginning rather than leveling up and choosing it; I think they just named it a perk....but I may be wrong. I hope it's the former because yeah, it seems a bit silly having to choose that instead of a "helpful" perk.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Cool.. That sounds fun.. I like easter eggs in games..

Will choose this perk if there is not other perks that seem extremely useful..

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
JWRosser said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
JWRosser said:

I *think* it is something you choose at the beginning rather than leveling up and choosing it; I think they just named it a perk....but I may be wrong. I hope it's the former because yeah, it seems a bit silly having to choose that instead of a "helpful" perk.
I mean, I could easily go against the lady killer perk, if they bring it over, since so few enemies in Fall out games are female. You have monsters, creatures, the odd female wastelander, the odd female ghoul... Compared to the black widow perk, it's useless

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Unrulyhandbag said:
people complained about pop references in a fallout game? where are these heathens?

This, exactly this. I like that they've given it as an option for people who actually want the game to be even more fun and funny. People who don't enjoy humour and easter eggs are just a little odd, in my opinion

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
JWRosser said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
JWRosser said:

Actually it's not a Perk, it's a Trait. This is something that's returning from the first 2 Fallouts. Traits are like Perks except you choose them at the beginning of the game and they have a down side as well as possitive. So with Wild Wasteland you might miss out on useful stuff like Mininukes with pop culture references instead, or maybe some of these bizzare references will try to kill you. I know there's also one called Four Eyes that gives you high perception if you wear eye wear but very low without it.

Sep 14, 2009
Unrulyhandbag said:

exactly. Fun and funnies in video games? What? since when did anyone ever think of doing that..

OT: i will play with it on for sure, im sure ill get a chuckle or two =]

Bootbunny

Sep 9, 2009
I'm still a little confused about this... If you choose it will it just show easter eggs every now and then like normal games, or will it flood the entire game to make it one big joke? If its the first then I will definitely take it, but I don't want to play it if I don't get a hair of seriousness out of it.