New "Winter" Biome in Upcoming Terraria Update

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Meh I am still more interested in Starbound......... Sorry folks will always go with the tech version of fantasy over the middle ages one.

That and screw the terraria developer. ;)

TayVans

Dec 23, 2012
I dunno, judging from the stuff that's been added to the console Terraria, most of the new fangled content is reskinned armour and even more OP weapons...

And considering there's a pretty big heap of mods available for Terraria, I'm not sure if some clouds, waterfalls and some more snow is really enough to return to vanilla Terraria, and it's certainly not enough to make me stick with Terraria, I'll still play it all yes but Starbound still looks awesome.

If the content on the Xbox port was especially shiny and fancy then maybe introducing those elements onto the PC version would get me more excited but since the Xbox stuff just looks... bland I'm not particularly excited.

I still love Terraria though, well... my Terraria anyway...

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I wasm aware there is some kind of big update coming. I quit playing a while back while near the end of hard mode at the annoying boss grinding part. I will at least try some of the new content from the update when it's released.

Other people are saying they are more interested in starbound but I don't feel the hype and I don't pre-order. It looks promising and I decently interested how it will be at release.

One can never properly compare a game that has not been released yet to a game that already out. I don't see how anyone can say for sure if starbound will be better. we have the developers word to go by, some screen shots, a few short game play videos, and that knowledge starbound will be similar to terraria. That is not much to go by when comparing it to a released game.
If more than that exist feel free to point out where It could found it.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
listen pc gamers... the differences between pc and console terraria is tiny. an extra sword, a few extra armors, and a boss. but the difference between pc and console minecraft is... huge to say the least. so... get over it? i guess that's my point. yeah. i'll go with that. get over it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Software =/= hardware. PC gamers are upset because they were promised on-going updades-minecraft style. The updates then stopped, and when they were teased at again, it was for a console exclusive version of the game.

This really hits the biggest fans who supported the game in the very beginning and turned it into the smash hit it was right in the wallet, because the only way they can experience the new features of a game they love is shelling out more money for a console version of the game (which may not even be their bag, they may dislike console controls or they may not even own a console)

It was a dick move
Speaking as someone who bought Terraria on Day 1..

I wasn't upset, just disappointed. Yeah, it sucked when Redigit announced an end to updates, but that announcement did not take away the hours of enjoyment I had with the game, nor did it warrant the collective temper tantrum many other fans threw.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Jove said:
Can somebody fill me in on WTF Starbound is? All I'm seeing here is "SCREW YOU TERRARIA DEVELOPERS! Starbound is like, so much better now!" Is that game even out yet? If not, how the hell can you even say that yet? XD
Starbound is the "spiritual successor" to Terraria, being developed by one of the two developers of Terraria.

http://playstarbound.com/

Tiy (the spriter for Terraria, and lead developer of Starbound) regularly posts streams about the game, demonstrating the game at its various stages.

EDIT: The Starbound community is so helpful and timely...

http://playstarbound.com/media/ (this is a list of official videos, browse at your leisure)

Also there's a number of videos on the home page, if you look through the history and older news.

Pre-orders for Starbound began about a week and a half ago. http://playstarbound.com/store/
From the first youtube, video you should be able to find other related Starbound streams. (though Youtube, for whatever reason, is prone to filling the related section with unrelated junk)

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Uhm. We already have a winter biome? Granted, it's pretty useless and the new one looks a bit better, but damn. That's all?

Thanks for nothing.

Atmos Duality said:
*snipper*
This Starbound thing is looking amazing :O Like Terraria, but 9001 times better!

I will be keeping a close watch on this

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Amaror said:
It pretty much sounds to me that the development team of terraria is pretty damn stupid.
I am sorry to say this, and i am quite happy to see more content for this good game.
When they announced console exclusive content, they pissed pc gamers of.
Now they are announcing pc exclusive content and piss console gamers of.
I mean just stop with the stupid exclusivity and stop pissing people of!
They definitely made some stupid decisions somewhere along the line.

But the core of the problem seems to be that the console version was made by a 3rd party...
Who decided to extend the game completely without input from the orginal devs, and then also didn't want to share any new content.
(Which is undertstandable if the 3rd party dev only gets money for the console version. What incentive do they have to share their work with another version of the game that they don't get paid for?)

It's stupid nonetheless, but not for the reasons it might at first appear. (I mean, if the same team worked on both version, then it really would make no sense whatsoever to withhold content from any of the versions...)

Business gets pretty messy it seems when you sub-license stuff...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Business gets pretty messy it seems when you sub-license stuff...
The one defense I offer for Redigit (who made many mistakes), is that it would be highly impractical to keep the content synchronous between PC Terraria and Console (specifically, Xbox) Terraria.

Mostly because XBLA charges an insane sum to host patches and updates.
Hence, the separate team working on the console version, and the console-exclusive content.

It's still a double-standard, but given the circumstances, it's very difficult to not be for the purpose of developing any new content.