New Wolfenstein:The New Colossus gameplay

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, protagonist starting in a wheelchair?

It's political correctness gone mad! SJWs have ruined Wolfenstein!

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I'm glad they put this on id Tech 6 which I believe Doom also used. It looks great but still, there seem to be a lot of canned death animations which is disappointing. Also, looks like the cutscenes are still prerendered? His sleeves were full of blood but when he meets Anya his robe is clean as a whistle. It's 2017 and I'm sure this engine is capable of following through on little details like that.

I have conflicted feelings about this series. With it being such a pedigree piece of the genre I hope it does more to push the game play into new territory with this installment. I want to see more aggressive, intelligent AI working behind the scenes vs standing there waiting for a lead deposit when they pop into view. Perhaps also both them and the player being able to get more creative with using environments and objects to their advantage. Shooters can only get better with more dynamics involved.

I like the attention to detail with the lore, variety of interesting collectibles and keeping the languages authentic. Also it's one of the few shooters left that implores careful, thoughtful play strategy and risk assessment with the health gauge system. It strikes one of the better balances between gaminess and realism.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
stroopwafel said:
That...looks awesome. This and The Evil Within 2; october is gonna be a treat.
You know the more I watch the videos the more a realize the guns(at least the shotgun) has more of a kick to them.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
so theres much of walking simulator when BJ enter in milkshake market. then theres bunch of scripted gameplay and press x to kill. the wheel chair starting is also looking boring and scripted.

not impressed at all.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
I'd rather play this in third person view. There are SO MANY cutscenes rendered in third person that the transitions would blend together better.
lol wolfenstein in third person??

you mean to ruined the series more than machinegames does.

wolfenstein is like Doom about mindless fast paced shooting but they made it more like cutscene walking sim with forced stealth and few shooting elements and cutscene interrupt every time.

RTCW is still one of the best FPS ever made and this crap is not even shadow of RTCW.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
The dual weapons would also be less obtrusive in third person. They're fucking huge, taking up like a third of the picture.
third person prespective is worst prespective in gaming. and heres the reason why. third person kill immersion. you can see what is going on behind your back. cover system is mandatory in third person game for developers.

very few third person shooters are really good.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:
The dual weapons would also be less obtrusive in third person. They're fucking huge, taking up like a third of the picture.
third person prespective is worst prespective in gaming. and heres the reason why. third person kill immersion. you can see what is going on behind your back. cover system is mandatory in third person game for developers.

very few third person shooters are really good.
You love Max Payne 1, so everything you just said is invalid.

I usually find third-perosn more immersive, because the character doesn't lug their guns around like a robot and is able to look to the side while running and the field of view isn't so cramped.
Max payne 1 is perfect example of how to make third person games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
B-Cell said:
wolfenstein is like Doom about mindless fast paced shooting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Castle_Wolfenstein

Only as of the third game. It started out as a stealth series.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Looks sweet, I wonder how demanding on PCs it will be. Hoping for Vulkan support like Doom, and less texture pop-in please.

Zhukov said:

He is actually transabled.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
What bothers me is it looks like they're still using prerendered cutscenes, which makes everything in the story presentation even more jarring. I don't know why any developers are still doing this. Did the new Doom do this? It can't be the engine even though it apparently has some shared code with Tech 5.

To me the game looks better when it's doing the narrative stuff in-game anyways, like the milkshake diner and the angry Nazi mom telling her daughter to swing the axe. The cutscenes just look washed out and too disconnected from the rest of the game.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Delicious Anathema said:
Looks sweet, I wonder how demanding on PCs it will be. Hoping for Vulkan support like Doom, and less texture pop-in please.

Zhukov said:

He is actually transabled.
Yeah, the only thing missing is a gun that shoots pink handbags.

PapaGreg096 said:
stroopwafel said:
That...looks awesome. This and The Evil Within 2; october is gonna be a treat.
You know the more I watch the videos the more a realize the guns(at least the shotgun) has more of a kick to them.
Definitely. Moving from Unreal to Idtech was a good move. Gunplay now looks similarly good as in Doom.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ha.

So there's a bit where two Nazi soldiers express outrage over terrorists promoting violence against Nazis just because they have different opinions.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
From what I played of TNO (as much as my old rig could handle until the RAM requirements came to a crushing head....thanks, megatextures!) there was an impressive level of detail and wit regarding the various scattered documents and propaganda. It really went the extra mile to make the world feel more authentic, regardless of also being loaded with sci-fi alt. historical elements.