New World Impressions - Delivered too fast

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
New World is an interesting MMO for many reasons. The first reason is that it is the first big outing by Amazon's game studios a department I'm not sure why they've bothered to invest in, but they have and they've actually got a game out of it so already they are in better shape than most of the studios that Microsoft owns. The second reason is that this game was built to be the "hardcore" pvp mmo that apparently people in the mmo-space have been asking for. I don't know who these people are because I've been in the mmo-space for decades and nobody has ever told me they wanted a more hardcore pvp mmo. Nevertheless we have New World now and it is an mmo of some description.

If you've played any mmo in the last ten years, then you pretty much know the basic set up for how New World works. It's a hotbar mmo which assigns your attacks and skills to the number keys and grants you abilities as you level up. However unlike most other fantasy RPG's, there are no classes. Instead you level up individual weapons by using them and the more you use a given weapon the better you get at the weapon. So you can gradually become your own class by focusing on specific weapons to get good at. Leveing the weapons grants abilities for that weapon and leveling each weapon is a grind. Enemies aggro you and you stab them or shot them until they die. Pretty standard combatty stuff, although the other big feature of combat in New World is a dodge button. The dodge is a basic Dark Souls dodge, granting you a brief window of immunity to move through an attack. Though unlike Dark Souls you cannot dodge fast enough to avoid everything, because of the way the server ticks if you are attacked by multiple things at once, you are likely to be hit by at least one attack through your dodge even if you avoid a few other attacks. Or you can become completely immune to all damage forever if you play in windowed mode.....more on that later.

So combat is standard and so is questing....well...questing is standard if you were playing Everquest in 2002, because questing is fucking garbage. Each quest seems designed to do nothing but make you run your ass far away, then run your ass all the way back, only to get a follow up quest which sends you even further away. It's horrible, run for ten minutes to click a rock, run ten minutes back because fuck you. Which to be fair, is what old hardcore mmo's used to do back in the day so maybe this is interntional? I don't know. I do know it's not fun anymore and they should stop it.

Then there is crafting and crafting is the big thing for New World both in terms of player wealth but also for player combat. You see unlike more recent mmo's or just vastly better ones like Final Fantasy 14, in New World everyone on the server sees the same crafting nodes and if a player gets to it before you do....oh well. You have to wait for it to respawn, or you can kill the player and take the node for yourself. And crafting is the biggest progression for characters in NEw World, well rather I should say gathering is the biggest thing. Mining, skining, lubberjacking, etc, the more you do these tasks the more you level those skills up which allow you to harvest the better and better materials.

When I say every player sees the same crafting nodes by the way, I mean EVERY POSSIBLE node. For example, how do you skin animals? Well obviously you find them and kill them, once dead you can skin them. But every other player around you can skin them too and if someone skins your kill before you can, you lose that skin. So a lot of early players would just follow people around and steal their skins before the player exited combat because there is a little delay before they can start skining, making it super easy to get your shit stolen.

"Well simply kill that player then." I hear you say. Well yes you could do that, but then someone else steals the kill from both of you and neither of you get anything. So the meta became to not bother and simply go find some more resources somewhere else.

Additionally the crafting is broken. I mean it does work the way it is intended to work but it's one of those systems that requires the basic material to make the next level material to make the material after that and then the material after that to then make the high level item. What this means is that the most valuable gathering resources in the game are the lowest level ones, because you always need shitloads of them. This breaks the economy, because it means that low level players can simply become the richest players very early on if they figure this out and thus breaking the game for them essentially forever. By becoming so rich at low level, it makes the high levels meaningless because you can already just afford whatever you want whenever you want it.

Then there are the bugs. And I could go over the bugs but I'm not going to. I'm going to let a lovely British voice show you the bugs.

And there are more.

The basic consensus of this game seems to be, it needed a LOT more time before releasing. Beta was rushed and all the problems that people warned the developers about made it into the live game for exploiting.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Apparently there was a bug in New World involving linking images in chat via HTML, where people could use a malformed link and cause a client crash for anyone who moused over the link. This could even be done in public chat, with hundreds of potential victims.

Letting ANY kind of outside content be accessed through the game was either a huge miss by QA or an idiotic decision by the design team. That was just begging for remote-code execution and peoples' computers getting compromised.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently there was a bug in New World involving linking images in chat via HTML, where people could use a malformed link and cause a client crash for anyone who moused over the link. This could even be done in public chat, with hundreds of potential victims.

Letting ANY kind of outside content be accessed through the game was either a huge miss by QA or an idiotic decision by the design team. That was just begging for remote-code execution and peoples' computers getting compromised.
Yeah that's one of many issues. The whole game is collapsing on itself the more people play it. And frankly I don't see how they can fix it without fully reseting the game and everyone's progress in order to correct the bugs and the economy.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There is now new item duplication bugs in the latest patch allowing you basically infinite resourses.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There is now new item duplication bugs in the latest patch allowing you basically infinite resourses.
Apparently the economy was already fucked before this, but that can only make it worse.

While it's facinating to watch the in game economy simulator that this game has become(who knew this shit could get so complex), yeah, they need to figure out how to rebalance this and fast. Or just Blow up the island and pull a Realm Reborn here.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently the economy was already fucked before this, but that can only make it worse.

While it's facinating to watch the in game economy simulator that this game has become(who knew this shit could get so complex), yeah, they need to figure out how to rebalance this and fast. Or just Blow up the island and pull a Realm Reborn here.
I don't think it needs a full on revamp like ARR. But there does need to be a big player reset in order to get the economy back on track.

Ideally what I think needs to go down, is that they work out these bugs and exploits in-house. Fix every known issue and have a big internal test to try and break it. Once that's all settled they need to release it as a mega patch along with a global character wipe. They can give existing players a special badge/mount/skins or some shit to singify that they were there in the dark times or whatever. But for the long term health they need a full reset.

Because if they don't reset things, then new players will be fucked forever because there will be no way to catch up or even play in the economy as prices will be impossible for non-legacy people to afford.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It…it kinda makes you start wondering about Amazon’s security now for like, just buying things.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
All I know about the game is that one of the factions was immediately wiped out and that you actually can play the game without engaging in PvP, but its really slow and difficult and for some reason Shamus Young is trying to do it.

Or you can become completely immune to all damage forever if you play in windowed mode.....more on that later.
Pretending I don't want to watch 30 minutes of video to find out what you are talking about, can you just give me a quick rundown?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Pretending I don't want to watch 30 minutes of video to find out what you are talking about, can you just give me a quick rundown?
So because the game runs a lot of things cilent side, if you alt tab and use the mouse to grab and move your game window, the game actually freezes and doesnt let anything from the server resolve.

For example you are about to be attacked, if you press the dodge button and immediately tab out of the game your game actually "pauses" for a second. If while your mouse is free from the game window you then click the window of the game and move it around (as if you were dragging a window to a second monitor or just a different spot of the screen) the game will never process any server updates.

As far as your cilent is concerned you are still in the middle of dodging and therefore immune to damage. So while the enemies or players are still attacking you and the server is building all these damage requests, you game thinks you are still in your invulnerability frames. So when you tab back into the game the cilent will then look at all the damage and wipe it away because it will think they all happened during your invulnerability window.

It is a lot of words for something extremely easy to do.

Now when you tab back in you will still be getting attacked so you do have to deal with that. But consider this. If you do something like start to capture a flag you can use this to become invulnerable while at the same time the server will complete your flag capture. Effectively breaking the pvp in some cases.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So because the game runs a lot of things cilent side, if you alt tab and use the mouse to grab and move your game window, the game actually freezes and doesnt let anything from the server resolve.

For example you are about to be attacked, if you press the dodge button and immediately tab out of the game your game actually "pauses" for a second. If while your mouse is free from the game window you then click the window of the game and move it around (as if you were dragging a window to a second monitor or just a different spot of the screen) the game will never process any server updates.

As far as your cilent is concerned you are still in the middle of dodging and therefore immune to damage. So while the enemies or players are still attacking you and the server is building all these damage requests, you game thinks you are still in your invulnerability frames. So when you tab back into the game the cilent will then look at all the damage and wipe it away because it will think they all happened during your invulnerability window.

It is a lot of words for something extremely easy to do.

Now when you tab back in you will still be getting attacked so you do have to deal with that. But consider this. If you do something like start to capture a flag you can use this to become invulnerable while at the same time the server will complete your flag capture. Effectively breaking the pvp in some cases.
Oh, you went into a lot of detail. Wow, that's pretty gamebreaking. Big oops on the part of the developers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh, you went into a lot of detail. Wow, that's pretty gamebreaking. Big oops on the part of the developers.
Oh there is a lot more stuff than that.

You can input HTML code into the global chat that hard crashes your game is you moust over it.

You can dupe your Auction House items by posting and deleting the posting over and over again.

I mean it goes on and on. The game is fuckered.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’m actually kinda surprised it’s not a space game. Never mind Star Citizen, which seems to be in perpetual beta.