New WoW Minipets Help Charity, Look Damn Cute

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
John Funk said:
M-moonkin.

Must get. MUST GET.
Yeah people can insult me with every word out of the book.

But damnit...day one those things are out they'll be in my inventory, I'll screenshot them, and they'll become my new wallpaper.

Blizzard knows how to rip at the very fabric of my soul and bring with it the little pieces it so voraciously desires...oh and my wallet.

But at the end of the day playing their games and seeing all their silly humor is worth it, much more consistent than the 60 bucks I drop on games like Goldeneye only to be blindingly disappointed.

Moonkin battle Funk! You shall fear the wrath of my doe eyed pet!

Vrach said:
Stilt-Man said:
I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but why can't they give 100% of the money to the charity? The code is/will be in the game already, it's just a matter of allowing a player access to it.

Does that really cost five bucks a pop? I'm completely ignorant of the inner-workings of games and servers and interwebs and what-nots. I'd appreciate enlightenment, if there is any reason for this beyond greed.
Greed it is indeed. You had pets by the dozens in WoW which never cost you anything (aside the usual monthly payment obviously). Blizzard just realises that there is a number of people who are pet collectors out there. I'd say "people with too much money", but really, when you throw something out for a low price of 10$ and then even say half of the sales will go to charity, no one's gonna care and they're gonna buy it, no matter how realistically worthless it is, "it's just 10$".
The value of all things culminates into two, and only two, different variables.

The emotional connection with the item and the functional nature of the item.

Every single thing in your house, on your body, in the history of your being, has only held value because of one or both of those things. There is nothing that separates the electronic (and equally existent, unless we are arguing that we are physically interacting with the non-physical) from the "non-electronic" in terms of worth.

Your money, your loves, your house, your food, your car, all these things degenerate just like data and energy. Because at their heart that is all they are. The question to be asked then is, what is the duration? How long must something exist before you consider it "valuable"?

But that's just philosophical garbage since it still is just stepping off from the two values that define all worth of all things in the universe (as far as humanoids are concerned).