New XCOM 2 Alien Hunters DLC Coming Next Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New XCOM 2 Alien Hunters DLC Coming Next Week

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1319/1319406.jpgThe second DLC pack for XCOM 2 is coming next week.

There's more alien goodness coming to XCOM 2 next week, as 2K and Firaxis have announced a second DLC pack titled Alien Hunters. The add-on will bring a new mission, new gear, new additions to the Avenger, and of course, new Ruler alien units.

Once you've completed the new narrative mission, the Rulers - the Viper King, the Berserker Queen, and the Archon King - will randomly appear in your campaign. Each one brings its own unique weapons and tactics, and if you can't take the Ruler out quickly enough, it will escape and return later.

You won't have to take on these new threats with your existing gear, though. The Alien Hunters DLC brings four new weapons to XCOM 2.

The Bolt Caster: A high damage single-shot weapon
The Hunter's Axe: A powerful new blade weapon that can be used in melee, or thrown
The ShadowKeeper Pistol: Adds the Shadowfall ability, which always hits. If this ability kills the target, it places the soldier wielding it in concealment.
The Frost Bomb grenade: Temporarily freezes targets in place

Of course, all this new weaponry does have a catch. They're prototypes, so if you lose one on the field of battle, it's gone for good.

There are also four new sets of armor, each one created from the corpse of a Ruler alien. Each has its own unique abilities. The Icarus Suit, for example, basically gives its wearer a jetpack to fly around the battlefield.

Alongside the DLC, XCOM 2 will receive a patch that not only adds compatibility for the DLC, but also fixes some general bugs, rebalances the multiplayer, and optimizes performance.

2K does have one important note, though. If you already own the Reinforcement Pack, you should not purchase Alien Hunters. It's included in the pack, but if you purchase it separately, you will be charged.

Alien Hunters will be available May 12, and will set you back $9.99.

[gallery=6216]

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
The Hunter's Axe: A powerful new blade weapon that can be used in melee, or thrown
The most important question, of course, is weather this, too, will miss every 89% or higher chance of hitting.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Finally. My first playthrough was so thorough I've been holding off on a second one until new content came out. Now I can save the world atop a pile of my soldier's corpses once again!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh hey, this expansion actually looks interesting! I like the idea of elite units. What do they look like?

....Well that Berserker Queen looks like she's ready to fuck me up.

This raises a question lore wise. Are these guys the actual rulers of their species? Do they have actual power or are they puppet rulers? Or am I just overthinking it and the King/Queen thing is just slang made up by XCOM. It is good short hand for bigger badder ************.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Viper King, yet it still has boobs. Something doesn't add up here...
They are sacks of venom, so yeah, this is one very poor explanation from my part...
Fanart in 3,2,1...

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
...is that an Eldar holding a Necron weapon in the first image?

Anyway, it's an alright DLC I suppose. Something akin to Zhang's or Annete's DLC.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
erttheking said:
This raises a question lore wise. Are these guys the actual rulers of their species?
It's well established in X-Com that only the Elders have any actual power, or even any real free will. The engineered species that serve them are simply slaves, whilst there are ranks and a command chain within those slaves, they're still slaves.

So these creatures would be more like drone controllers than rulers.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
thebobmaster said:
As above, its been absolutely explicitly stated that the Vipers are not necessarily female, its venom sacs not boobs. I really don't know why this is surprising to anyone...

Nov 28, 2007
Lightspeaker said:
thebobmaster said:
As above, its been absolutely explicitly stated that the Vipers are not necessarily female, its venom sacs not boobs. I really don't know why this is surprising to anyone...
Sorry, you're right. I keep forgetting about that explanation. I withdraw my snark.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
There are also four new sets of armor, each one created from the corpse of a Ruler alien
wait... there's 4 new armor sets, each one create from the corpse of a Ruler.

but there's 3 Rulers.

where's the 4th one come from ?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Hmmm, can't say this looks particularly interesting: each of those uber variants just look like ridiculous elite-tier enemies in some crappy MMORPG, especially the Berserker Queen.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Cool idea. I'm still hoping for a full expansion ala Enemy Within though. But I'l start a second run when this comes out.