New York Minecraft Convention Potential Scam, Money Missing

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
New York Minecraft Convention Potential Scam, Money Missing

The unofficial Minecraft convention that was to take place in New York in July suddenly disappears and over half a million dollars is unaccounted for.

Ticket purchasers are irate at the possibility that they just lost up to $150 each, or over $500,000 as a group by the sudden disappearance of Mineorama. Mineorama was meant as an unofficial New York City convention for Minecraft fans. It was set to take place on July 11th through the 13th, but four days before the event was to begin the organizers announced they were postponing everything, "It is with deep regret that I have to inform you that mineorama has been postponed, stay tuned for updates."

Popular Minecraft YouTuber SkyDoesMinecraft, who was one of the Minecraft personalities heading to the event, received further confirmation from the Mineorama contracted travel vendors that the event was canceled [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2l515m3c-g#t=50s].

This of course was not what convention goers wanted to hear after already booking their flights. But the Mineorama Twitter insisted it was not a scam and that they were "sincerely attempting to make this right." The next day one of the convention organizers Lou Gasco further elaborated on the situation that the "financing fell through" but that they'd be issuing refunds shortly. There were 3,600 tickets sold for the event.

Shortly thereafter Mineorama Facebook account [http://www.mineorama.com/] is still active but there's been no update since July 8th.

Some ticket purchasers have tried to go through their respective credit card companies and banks to retrieve their funds with some success. But as one customer told Kotaku, "... the people who paid through PayPal have no chance to recover their money because tickets were purchased so long ago." Attempts for comments from Mineorama organizers like Lou Gasco and Timothy Carroll have been unsuccessful. Lou Gasco's personal Twitter account [https://twitter.com/LouEeeGee] mentions that he was planning to have a Twitch livestream to address the issues around Mineorama. That tweet was made on July 8th and the livestream has yet to take place.

YouTuber BebopVox created an entire video about the Mineorama controversy, and provides additional information that so far there have been three Minecraft conventions that have scammed its ticket purchasers: Meeting of the Mines in Florida [http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/21iq5e/a_message_from_the_originator_of_the_minecraft/], Meeting of the Mines in New York, and Mineapalooza. Mineapalooza ticket purchasers have received their refunds.

There is still a possibility Mineorama isn't a scam, but hope for ticket purchasers is dwindling.

This isn't the first time an unofficial convention is in the news for being a disaster: in July the Tumblr convention Dashcon was its own type of fiasco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136108-Tumblr-Convention-Disaster-Unfolds-at-Illinois-DashCon].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/shady-minecraft-convention-disappears-ticket-money-mis-1620813226]

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Oh man.. I really hope these people didn't get scammed, but it sounds pretty grim. I wonder if Mineorama and the Tumblr con failing are going to have an effect on any other new conventions or crowd funding in general.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I have to be honest, unless it was set up by Notch or some other very high profile game dev ... I would never even dream of attending a con 'cos in all likely hood that is what it is, a con.

As my own personal gripe, glad all those people got ripped off ... maybe now they will stop going on about sodding minecraft, I am so sick of the phrase "minecraft is coming to ...", it is the whore of the gaming world.

(ok, I'm not glad but smug about it)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wow, another Minecraft convention that turned out to be a scam. Honestly though, what is the point about a Minecraft convention? For a single thing like a large franchise I can understand, but Minecraft?

Ivailo Todorov

Sep 24, 2013
How rude,atleast have the decency to compensate for the lack of a con with a brand new state of the art piss-stained ballpit?.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The loss was 500k+ for attendees and 500k from NYC, so that would be a mil+ down the drain... or rather the organizers pocket.
Also holy shit this is the 4th Minecraft convention that went up in smoke and this is the first we hear of it, would probably help if people were told this stuff at the start of a sign-up period and not once their money is gone.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
omega 616 said:
As my own personal gripe, glad all those people got ripped off ... maybe now they will stop going on about sodding minecraft, I am so sick of the phrase "minecraft is coming to ...", it is the whore of the gaming world.

(ok, I'm not glad but smug about it)
I'm going to be blunt: Wishing ill on people because you think they're annoying, or even just being smug about them getting ripped off, is sick. All they wanted to do was get together and enjoy Minecraft, but instead they've probably lost money for nothing, and this will likely damage the development of other, legitimate, fan-orchestrated conventions.

OT: Man, I don't even like conventions of any description, but to have two high profile failures so close together isn't going to be good news for anyone. And there's not even any sign of a ball pit...

EDIT:
Kalezian said:
I would ask about their ball pit, but you cant make anything round in minecraft.

oh, maybe they would of had a slime pit?

I would easily trade my ticket for an extra hour in a pit with a bunch of mini-slimes bouncing around.
When I did gymnastics we had a gigantic pit of soft, foam cubes. It was glorious.