New York Passes New Videogame Law

Jul 8, 2008
I know the PS3 has parental controls for game downloads, but it's the parents responsibility to know what their kids doing. If a mom buys her 13 year-old medically recognized sociopath of a son a copy of GTA4 then it's the parent's fault. 'Cause Ignorance is no excuse.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
HeyZeus_Ezekiel_Jesus said:
I know the PS3 has parental controls for game downloads, but it's the parents responsibility to know what their kids doing. If a mom buys her 13 year-old medically recognized sociopath of a son a copy of GTA4 then it's the parent's fault. 'Cause Ignorance is no excuse.
Yeh, but try saying that to Jack Thompson, Michael Atkinson and the others.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
this is the biggest joke that's supposed to be serious, it makes no change positive or negative. besides games are only considered dangerous because one pillock said "blame it on the games!" thus every other murder, rapist, and other all-around degenerates decided that's not a bad idea (unlike everything else i've done so far(even though it's not necesarily beliveable that mario made you go do mushrooms, lsd and peyote)).

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
stompy said:
HeyZeus_Ezekiel_Jesus said:
Yeh, but try saying that to Jack Thompson, Michael Atkinson and the others.
I'm reminded of alot of things about Jack Thompson.
Basically the backstory behind this strip was when Jack thompson was trying to get a violent video game made to prove his point,and he called Mike Krahulik(Gabriel).

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
For everyone who wonders about the point of this law:

and also establishes a 16-member "advisory council"

That's it in a nutshell. 16 new patronage positions.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
What's the extent of this legislation? Are general-purpose computers and cellphones -- both of which can play video games -- also required to have "parental controls"?

-- Alex

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Alex_P said:
What's the extent of this legislation? Are general-purpose computers and cellphones -- both of which can play video games -- also required to have "parental controls"?

-- Alex
An excellent point that's not really addressed by the law, and therefore (troublingly) is open to interpretation.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
"OH NO MY KIDZ ARE TURNING INTO CRAZY HEADSHOT YELLING COMMUNISTS, SAVE US TEH GOVERNMENT!"

seriously, I think politicians just hate that people have fun.

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
i'm happy that we don't seem to have any of these issues here in Canada..... yet

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Johnn Johnston said:
Notice how there are never any laws passed that explore what positive effects games might have.
Positivity in video games went out the window at their height of popularity in the Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail eras.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
tendo82 said:
I'm not worried about it. This is a PR law and my guess would be that it is a Democratic concession to the Republicans in Albany for something else.

Patterson recently ordered all NY state agencies to recognize same sex marriages performed outside NY. Curiously, the state congressional Republicans were totally silent on the issue. My point being that NY state politics is a lot of horse trading, and with separate parties occupying the legislative and executive branches, it's doubtful we'll see any outright moral crusades of the sort that would result in significant impediments to videogame content expression.
I am. Tax payer money is wasted on crap like this. It's not quite the money pit known as the war on drugs, but hey it's a start.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
bkd69 said:
For everyone who wonders about the point of this law:

and also establishes a 16-member "advisory council"

That's it in a nutshell. 16 new patronage positions.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is merely to give some supporters cushy new jobs. I love how taxpayer money is wasted for nonsense like this. I may not pay taxes yet but my parents do and it annoys them to no end what crap the government can come up with.