New Zelda on the block?

tidus_mi2

Feb 7, 2009
I don't really know what to think when seeing these suggestions.

Making Link talk would be blasphemy, he's mute for a reason, people make up their own minds about what kind of character Link is, giving him a voice could ruin it for people.

I will also stress that the only difficult Zelda games ever were the first 3, since then they've been kept simple to appeal to CHILDREN, Nintendo have their hardcore following who will buy the game regardless (myself included) so they make the game appeal to children, how old were you all when you played your first LoZ?

By doing this they will always have one thing, a hardcore following, the 8 year old children of 10 years ago playing OOT are now todays adolescent fanboys playing TP, the 8 year olds playing TP today will be the fanboys of tomorrow.

Ganon could be made more evil and there could be more blood and gore but that would unfortunately make it a rating where the children can no longer play it, hence why no nudity either although I was surprised they included Telma but doesn't she come off as a motherly figure...who flirts with you?

When was the last time you saw a Royal being incredibly revealing, I pride myself in our well dressed British monarchy, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Anne, Lady Camila, Princess Beatrice...actually scrap that last one.

Last but not least, LoZ in the future? I'd rather someone heated up a large metal rod and shoved it up my arse, sword + shield in the future? No, wait i'll kill this army of gun wielding maniacs with my trusty bow and arrow!

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
The thing with Zelda games is that it is a formula that works, and we like it because each new one is reminiscent of the last.

I do believe that a more mature Zelda game would be very welcome. Make Link a little more brutal, Zelda more attractive, give Ganon more power and half a brain to use it, and we could have a success.

I do disagree with giving Link a voice. When Miyamoto created Link, he wanted him to be silent to increase the level of immersion: Make you feel like you are Link rather than playing as Link.

AhhARealMonster

Feb 4, 2009
I don't know why this thread has generated so much 'don't change a thing' talk. Change is good, and the Zelda formula has been getting a little stale. But there's a different between good change, that introduces tweaks and the like to the classic formula, and bad change, where Zelda slices out Ganon's intestines while wearing nothing but the Pegasus Boots. Zelda II offered good change, it just lacked the puzzles. ALTTP offered change (and it's Game Boy sequel further refined it). OOT was change defined, yet still retained that classic Zelda feel, and MM further refined THAT. WW offered bad change in the form of it's story, sidequests, and those endless sailing sequences. TP was the Big Mac version of OOT - injecting so much "MOAR!" that it diluted the whole experience, plus adding some bad change in the form of lycanthrophy.

Someone mentioned bringing the Pegasus Boots back - now THAT would introduce some excellent gameplay changes. Making Ganon's purposes more real and more subtle (at least initially), and maybe turning him into a tragic figure... that would IMO be good change. Puzzles with multiple solutions would be good change.

xtreme_phoenix said:
Sonic has always basically been on rails.
Wha.... what?? The only "real" Sonic game that came close to being on rails was Sonic 3. Go back and play S1, S2, S&K, and SCD and tell me that these games are on rails and are all about speed (ignore SCD for the latter). Those games were full of multiple paths and puzzles.

This pisses me off to no end when all the reviewers keep saying "Oh, Sonic is basically all about speed and going really fast." This can be seen the best in the reviews of Sonic Unleashed where they praised the day time levels as being Classic Sonic (TM). No, no they weren't. They were on-rails blinding rollercoasters. There wasn't a single part of that game that was Classic Sonic (TM).

tidus_mi2 said:
Making Link talk would be blasphemy, he's mute for a reason, people make up their own minds about what kind of character Link is, giving him a voice could ruin it for people.
All RPGs claim to do this, but Zelda (Yes, to all the "purists", it's an RPG, deal with it) is the only one that has ever done it well. It is the only RPG I've ever played (along with Arcanum) that your character wasn't forced into doing something stupid just for the plot. All the actions Link takes during cutscenes and whatnot are stuff you would probably do anyways. (Well, actually, Windwaker deviated from this classic immersion quite a bit, giving us the worst, most thick-headed Link that Hyrule has ever seen... good thing it excelled in the gameplay and visual/auditory department).

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I have an idea. Come up with a new story Nintendo!

Also voice acting? Seriously?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
AhhARealMonster said:
All RPGs claim to do this, but Zelda (Yes, to all the "purists", it's an RPG, deal with it) is the only one that has ever done it well. It is the only RPG I've ever played (along with Arcanum) that your character wasn't forced into doing something stupid just for the plot. All the actions Link takes during cutscenes and whatnot are stuff you would probably do anyways. (Well, actually, Windwaker deviated from this classic immersion quite a bit, giving us the worst, most thick-headed Link that Hyrule has ever seen... good thing it excelled in the gameplay and visual/auditory department).
How is Twilight Princess an RPG?

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Fanboy said:
Not saying your ideas aren't good, just that I don't think they fit in a Zelda game. Take those ideas and apply them to a completely different title, because Zelda does not need to change its formula.
Exactly.

1. The lack of voice actors is some of the more charming points about the Zelda games. I know I'd be frightened if some NPC in the game actually talked to me.
2. Ganondorf doesn't need to be more evil, just make him as evil as he was in Ocarina of Time. He made the castle float over a pool of lava! I mean, come on! That's evil for you, right there.
3. Erm.. I don't think Zelda looks that bad? Right? Anyone?
4. Blood, fine. Tits, no. I don't need the game to be more mature. If I'd want gore I'd play Gears.
5. Dungeons are the essence of Zelda games, quit being stupid. It's good to know that your brain works properly, and the satisfaction of making it through said dungeons without a walkthrough is pure gold.
6. WTF? No, just no. No future-Link, that would be stupid.

What I'd like to see in the next Zelda titles is more challenging bosses. Twilight Princess' were incredibly easy. I only enjoyed the skeleton-head-spin-on-walls-thing. And that one was awesome!

Tullio

Dec 12, 2008
Frankly, to claim that all Zelda games are the same is like saying all shooters are the same. Yes, they follow a similar structure, and similar mechanics, but so do shooters. And strategies. And RPG's.

However, I do agree that some more thought as far as story is concerned will do wonders for the series. Twilight Princess has already started with that - the quest is altogether smoother than in previous games (Ie, you end up saving the world because saving your village requires it. Since Link in this case is a farmboy in a tight-knit community this makes perfect sense), and the motivations (Even Link's) are altogether more believable.

The other thing which will never change, but in my opinion would be nice to see, is the aforementioned design for Link. Toon Link appeals to me mostly because he actually expresses himself - say what you like about cell-shading, but at least he does more than stare-scowl-soppy smile. Frankly "adult" Link gets on my nerves, saved only by his low involvement in the plot (No speekee, hero).

Insofar as Zelda is concerned, Twilight Princess almost got it spot on. She acts as her own woman (Bloody well should do as the reigning monarch) and speaks like she is a monarch. Her design needs no alteration. Why should be be a hot princess? It says nothing about her character whatsoever.

The themeing, I feel, can get quite adult. I don't see any need for it to be much more adult per se - thoughtful, maybe, thinking of how humans think and react, but monsters are just fine with me. Monsters who explode into dust, fine (Who said they're natural creatures, anyway?). Sexual themes, well, do we really need them? Link is a downright terrible character who still remains out of tradition, no other reason, and he certainly wouldn't be improved by any kind of sexual interaction.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that many gamers seem to get offended by a game that isn't designed to be a combat game (It's a puzzle series, really, with a combat element), or by a fantasy that refuses to adhere to the high-fantasy of World of Warcraft. There's no reason to be so, just because the game isn't designed for you. The fact that this series still sells tells you that a lot of people like playing this kind of thing. And have FUN. Remember FUN? What games used to be before it was all a competition?

I like FUN

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
AhhARealMonster said:
Vlane said:
Yes, I made that entire post just so I can get into an argument about what constitutes an RPG. Thank you for understanding.
Could you please answer my question? You are very rude.

nmmoore13

Jun 17, 2008
I think there should be voice actors for everyone EXCEPT Link. Link is a character that the player is supposed to project themselves on.

What about a first person Link? That could be interesting. I wouldn't want it to be Oblivion like, they'd have to keep all of the cool acrobatic swordsmanship that Link always does. Imagine if it even had some Mirror's Edge like platforming in their. (Like is the key word in that sentence, LoZ is not a platformer).

Futuristic doesn't have to be laser swords by the way. Steampunk anyone? Maybe some muskets or something.

Zoron

Feb 7, 2009
I don't see why so many have to post sarcastic remarks about this guys ideas, sure i don't approve of them all but let the guy have his thoughts.

As a LoZ fan i have to say that i don't think the games should be changed, maybe some new awesome items and other lands besides Hyrule (maybe a new game in Termina, after the whole Majora's Mask thing?), but the dungeons are the very heart of every Zelda game. Link should absolutely not have any voice acting, the only thing we should hear from his are the various shouts and yells, and a LoZ game in the future can only result in an very epic fail.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
TP zelda is very elegant, that's all she needs to be. The speak of wars ect. have a really great potential. Imagine the Gorons (clad in armour, like the biggoron in TP's caves, the sub-boss), the Zora (like the one that MM Link turns into, dual fin blades/boomerangs). The 'epic war scene', if done correctly...
You all remember helms deep, right? Of course you do.
Gorons never get to show their true power. Hell the best TP had them as were dim witted JCB/Springboards. Since MM the zora have just milled about paddling. Also, bring back the Gerudo please.
The more open hyrule field set up -- isn't it just waiting for a large battle?

*EDIT*:
nmmoore13 said:
Steampunk anyone? Maybe some muskets or something.
Barnes needs to weld some cumbersome bomb throwing device...

AhhARealMonster

Feb 4, 2009
Vlane said:
AhhARealMonster said:
Vlane said:
Yes, I made that entire post just so I can get into an argument about what constitutes an RPG. Thank you for understanding.
Could you please answer my question? You are very rude.
Fine. It's not an RPG. Now, did you want to comment on something meaningful that I said?

.... RPG: huge world, dungeons and puzzles, upgrading your gear, characters that don't and a storyline that doesn't pigeonhole your imagination

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Jonatron said:
MrEco said:
1. Give all the characters voice actors. except Link!
2. Make Ganon less of a pansy
3. Make Zelda alot more atractive. She looked... alright, didn't she?
4. Give enemies blood when you stab them. And instead of them falling to the ground and exploding into dust there bodies should just be left there, only until you leave the room though. This, them vanishing in a puff of evil black smoke makes no sense Also, tits! Add tits! Im not saying they should put nudity in the game. But it would definately improve the experience if along the way Link was distracted from his adventure by some big-busted women. Telma would like to have a word with you
5. Quit being so dungeon reliant. Dungeons are fine here and there. But its boring when the main part of a game is nothing but dungeons. It wouldn't be Legend of Zelda without them, although the action segments in TP were certainly exciting and mixed things up a bit -- More of these, please!
6. Alternatively, I once heard a rumor that the next LoZ would be set in the future. I think thats a great idea! Giving Link a sword with electricity running down it to make it burning hot. Allowing the sword to cut through almost everything. Giving Link gadgets that acted like magic would be cool. Freezing time, or moving objects with the flick of a hand. It would all be awesome! < This, also, PoP style time recall *damn ledges*
A futuristic LoZ could be awesome, But they have to be careful not to butcher it...

CastaliaMoirae

Oct 22, 2008
xtreme_phoenix said:
oh, and as you may have noticed, okami is based in JAPANESE mythology, where as zelda is based in western mythology. Japanese mythology is innately more raunchy than that of the whimsical western tales, mostly because early shintoists weren't as uptight and twattish as the early christians.
Amen to that. Though I could see Zelda perhaps managing a tad more raunchiness, if it's to continue in the vein of Twilight Princess.

TsunamiWombat said:
To be fair I see what MrEco is aiming for. I'd like to see a more... epic fantasy take on Zelda. I want to see Link as the last hope for Hyrule, leading a last ditch effort with the Hylian military to defend against the unstoppable armies of Ganon. The series needs to touch on the triforce more as well.
I would actually buy this game. Coupled with the big long idea brought up by BrynThomas, it could work. I'm really not down with the futuristic take, no matter who came up with it, but a game involving a war, a very involved plot and some actual use of the triforce would be excellent. Also, it could be interesting to see the many races interact with each other more. We all know how the each react with Hylians, but I don't think I've ever seen a Zora and a Goron really interact before.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
I was going to say something snarky but Milkatron said it all for me, including the "you're full of shit" part.

John_Doe_Damnit said:
OP wants to make Zelda boring, and is a stupid kid who doesn't know nothin' about' nothin' when it comes to games design.

Personally I loved the smoke effects

The last Zelda game I enjoyed was "The Legend of Princess", an indie game by Konjak, which is really fucking good.

All your suggestions are ways to make zelda more boring. Look! Tits! We're a MATURE game, we appeal to 13 yr olds who can't legally buy fucking NUTS magazines.

Go and buy Beyond Good and Evil, which is a GOOD game.

And could we PLEASE move away from the Ice/Fire/Electricity? A little fucking innovation please, like the Bee-Shooting BioShock arm?

Link should be able to ride a giant fucking insect. Yeah, that'd be cool. And have blue hair, inexplicably. And get out of fucking hyrule. And lets have more cats in armour, they rock. Some more interesting graphics aswell, like the wind waker. More mature plot that DOESNT have Ganon in it, and DOESNT have Zelda in it, except as Links Mom or something totally non-old-Zelda.

No more fucking volcanoes, no more fucking endless trawling in oceans, no more fucking gorons, no more fucking boomerang. No more fucking push-the-block puzzles (ENOUGH PUSHING BLOCK PUZZLES, GAME DEVS EVERYWHERE).

More big, sprawling dungeons with cool shit (Like the rails spinner sections. They were NEW and INTERESTING). Let's have the ability to have a hookshot you can use a swinging rope, LIKE IT ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN, like the wind waker, which was pretty decent.

Link should be black/and/or/female.

Actaully, yes, that's what I want. A black female link with a pleasant lilting accent in green garb who carries the MYSTERY sword, not the master sword, which has been destroyed in the past, but the MYSTERY sword, which has purple smoke coming off it, and fights the wind waker giant cat knights in armour, and flies around on a giant flying mantis called Poena.

Tits and swearing make a game immature not mature
Someone's been listening to Yahtzee haven't they?
The only thing I listened to there was the big-sprawling dungeons part.

I want a Zelda with all the staples of the series but incredibly different from the others. I know Nintendo can do this. Leave it to them and keep your retarded ideas to yourselves.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
MrEco said:
1. Give all the characters voice actors. Including Link!
2. Make Ganon alot more evil! Kidnapping a single person over and over again isnt what I would call evil. He needs to start thinking bigger. Along the ways of becoming the next Napoleon Boneparte.
3. Make Zelda alot more atractive. I dont know a single real life person that finds Zelda attractive. If she actualy was as hot as Link thinks her to be it would be a great incentive to go and save her.
4. Make the game alot more mature. Give enemie's blood when you stab them. And instead of them falling to the ground and exploding into dust there bodies should just be left there, only until you leave the room though. Also, tits! Add tits! Im not saying they should put nudity in the game. But it would definately improve the experience if along the way Link was distracted from his adventure by some big-busted women. And things of the sort.
5. Quit being so dungeon reliant. Dungeons are fine here and there. But its boring when the main part of a game is nothing but dungeons.

6. Alternatively, I once heard a rumor that the next LoZ would be set in the future. I think thats a great idea! Giving Link a sword with electricity running down it to make it burning hot. Allowing the sword to cut through almost everything. Giving Link gadgets that acted like magic would be cool. Freezing time, or moving objects with the flick of a hand. It would all be awesome!

1.Okay, they can give lines to everyone they want to. Just not Link, if they do, it won't be a LoZ game.
2.I kinda agree with you on this one here. It's not really that evil just to kidnap the same person, over and over again. But what else can they make him do?
3.I don't think they should, she's a princess. Focus more on saving her then her being attractive.
4.I do agree here as well, make it a little more mature. Blood, yes, would be nice to see it from here and there. Just not gallons and gallons of it, that would ruin the idea. I also agree with the enemies staying there until you leave the room. I do like that idea. But, cmon...tits? Oh for god sakes, that has to be a terrible idea.(Not saying I'm gay) I just think that is going a little to far.
5.Ok, it's LoZ. It would not be LoZ without dungeons, I do agree, they can add a lot. But the dungeons are extremely fun and challenging(In my opinion at least) I love the dungeons(OoT Master Quest had the best by far)
6.No, no, no, no, no, and just no. That has to be the stupidest idea I have ever heard for a LoZ game. EVER. If they were gonna do that, then make a whole new game.

Epicfail

Sep 18, 2008
Nintendo needs to change their formula for EVERY GAME now. I'm a nintendo fan and im bored of this shit....