New Zelda Title Confirmed for 3DS

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Zelda Title Confirmed for 3DS

Link's next outing after Skyward Sword will be an original Zelda tale in 3D.

Eiji Aonuma, the famed game designer most famous for his continuing work on the Zelda series, has revealed that Nintendo is hard at work on a new installment for the 3DS. He has also confirmed that game will be the next Zelda title available on the handheld, being prioritized over the possible Majora's Mask port the company has been eying as well.

"Recently, we released The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D as a remake," Aonuma told Portugese gaming site Nintendo Everything. [http://ez.mygames.pt/wii/accao/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/especial/entrevista-com-eiji-aonuma-e-koji-kondo-682/] "We are considering the idea [of porting Majora's Mask], but it didn't seem right to launch a remake one after another, so the next Zelda game on 3DS will be original."

Zelda games have a long history with quirky timelines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113948-Nintendo-Adds-More-Confusion-to-the-Zelda-Timeline], and while there are few true sequels in the series, some games were definitely meant to follows others, such as the Phantom Hourglass's continuation of Wind Waker. While this announcement is a bit light on the details, Aonuma did go on to confirm that the new game wouldn't be a direct continuation of either two previous DS titles Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, saying, "We are talking about a new game, but it takes much of what has been done on previous handhelds."

There's no further information regarding the premise of the game, whether it will be a spiritual tie-in to the upcoming Skyward Sword, or when Nintendo will be rolling it out, but at least we know it's next in line. It's hard to say if this was part of Nintendo president Satoru Iwata's recently announced purposeful game delaying tactic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113968-3DS-Titles-Delayed-to-Stay-Fresh], but these days most 3DS owners are likely to rejoice just knowing that some original, quality content for their console is on the way.

Source: Eurogamer [http://ez.mygames.pt/wii/accao/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/especial/entrevista-com-eiji-aonuma-e-koji-kondo-682/]

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
No Majora's Mask? SON OF A B****!!!!

Okay after this next game... there better be Majora's Mask, or ill go Skull Kid on Nintendo!!! I'LL BRING THE MOON DOWN MAAAN!!!

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
By the statement of;

Mike Kayatta said:
takes much of what has been done on previous handhelds.
can we assume that means it'll probably be a top down affair?

I would hope not, since the 3DS is so much more powerful, and can obviously handle a full 3D adventure.

It'll be fun to see what they come up with either way =)

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
If that's the style of the game, I may actually get it.

Wish I could say I was surprised about a Zelda 3DS game. At least it's new and original rather than just another port/remake.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope that this game uses Cell shading as the 3DS is much better equipped to make a portable game with the aesthetics of Wind Waker than the DS.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
TitanAtlas said:

Okay after this next game... there better be Majora's Mask, or ill go Skull Kid on Nintendo!!! I'LL BRING THE MOON DOWN MAAAN!!!
Especially since that appears to be the only way I'll ever be able to play the game, since no one I know owns a copy and I can't find it anywhere.

Excited for this, but I better get a Majora's Mask, damn it.

the spud

May 2, 2011
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I acnnot wait to see what they have got coming! I am a massive fanboy and anything Zelda related is an absolute good in my eyes.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
TitanAtlas said:

Well in an interview I read from one of the developers behind OoT3D(I read this in an issue of Nintendo Power a couple months back, btw), the next remake they'd do would be Majora's Mask and they said it's looking like it'll end up happening. So while it may not be next on the list of Zelda games coming out, it's still looking like we'll have a remake sooner or later.

OT: Well since it's not going follow in the footsteps of Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks then I'm excited. Even though I love Zelda, I honestly can't give either of those games better than an "okay at best"...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TitanAtlas said:

They only said it has priority, not that Majora's Mask isn't coming. Chill. Nintendo won't miss an opportunity to retread an old title to nostalgic fans.

LavaLampBamboo said:
I would hope not, since the 3DS is so much more powerful, and can obviously handle a full 3D adventure.
Damn. I might have played my last Zelda game, then. The portable titles were my last refuge.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ok, multiple things popped into my head:

#1: Stop the presses, a Zelda game for a Nintendo system! They didn't even announce when it would be coming or what it would be about. The only real thing we learned is the next game will not be a MM remake. Still, it will be awesome!

#2: Once again, I get the feeling that the impossible to please gaming community will be up in arms about this. Like so:
Gamers: WTF? Why you remake OoT? You Always just milk your franchises!
Nintendo: Ok, well if remakes bother you, the next one will be an original title.
Gamers: You fucking SUCK! Y U No remake Majora's Mask? Nintendo never listens!

#3: 3DS owners knew the good content is coming. It was just a long... loooong.....loooooooong wait. But soon... SOON... *sees Mario 3D Land and the new Paper Mario on the horizon.*

#4: Yes, I know the 3DS has more powerful hardware and all that good stuff... but I'd kinda like them try at one point to do a Zelda game with those crayon-drawings as the aesthetic. If only as a download title for lulz...

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I'd love direct sequel to Minish Cap, that and Link to the Past are my all time favorites (than Ocarina)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
original Zelda game? >.> so ... its not gonna use the same basic lay out they've been using (3 magic trinkets, eventy thing, 8 more magic doodads, final boss/dungeon) since LINK TO THE PAST