New Zelda Will Use Wii Motion Plus For Swordplay

the_cookiewolf

Nov 5, 2009
Thats the major thing i hate about the wii. you have bought the console, the remotes the nunchucks, the crappy games and the add on's, then its wii balance board and now motion plus!

In all honesty iv never been a fan of zelda but LOVE twilight princess for wii. was a real nerd with my sword and shield add on's lol. suppose ill ahve to but stupid motion plus now and revive my wii from the dusty corners of my closet....

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
ZeroMachine said:
Is it bad that all I'm thinking is how lame it is that Link is now right-handed?
Garbage. One of the few lefties we had (the only one I can think of now is Marth) and now he's defected. Bastard righties.
I thought Marth was a righty?

Still sucks to see Link be converted to a lefty, but then again, he was ambidextrous in the first few Zelda games.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
ZeroMachine said:
Is it bad that all I'm thinking is how lame it is that Link is now right-handed?
Garbage. One of the few lefties we had (the only one I can think of now is Marth) and now he's defected. Bastard righties.

Still sucks to see Link be converted to a lefty, but then again, he was ambidextrous in the first few Zelda games.
O_O. Mother fu-

So we have no one, smashing, thanks for that. Oh wait we have Hector, and he's a beast. :D

The entire game was mirrored though (TP) which is why, and I guess they're sticking with it, because ever since the first game he's been a leftie, I can't think of a game where he wasn't.
cball11 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
cball11 said:
Well, that's one more game I won't be buying. I wish these franchises were in the hands of people who didn't create the Wii. As long as motion sensitivity and touch screens are the norm, Nintendo is going to push utter crap out the door.
I don't understand. Please explain.
It's simple. As long as I would have to put up with the obnoxious motion sensitive control scheme of the Wii, or stylus control for the DS, I won't be getting either. I won't be playing Nintendo games until they get their shit together. Nintendo's first party games have never been about story elements, only good and engaging gameplay. (and artful music) The controls on their current generation systems are awful and incoherent. I will simply not put up with them when Sony and Microsoft have perfectly normal and dependable control schemes and better games on their systems. I have a job, a college, and a dick that all need time and attention. I can't spend a lot of time on games. When I do spend the time, they have to be the best games that can be found and they can't waste my time with gimmicky shit. That's that.
That still doesn't explain how the game is going to be utter crap though. If you're not a fan of motion sensing, even the prospect of highly accurate motion sensing (which is what people expect this to be) then that's a completely different kettle of fish. Super Mario Galaxy was a quality game, practically everyone knows that.

Even Mario Kart, while somewhat watered down in comparison to the last two titles was a good game, and I'm having trouble thinking of a motion sensing first party game that was poorly done. So really I'm not sure if they have to get their shit together or you just have to get the motion-sensing stick out of your ass, which I mean in the least offensive way possible.

P.S. I didn't get a notification of that quote, did you edit it in? Because apparently if you're going to quote someone it's best to just double post so they know you are quoting them.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
cball11 said:
Well, that's one more game I won't be buying. I wish these franchises were in the hands of people who didn't create the Wii. As long as motion sensitivity and touch screens are the norm, Nintendo is going to push utter crap out the door.
I know you didn't actually quote me here but I felt the need to give my 2 cents.

For me I feel that wii motes and touch screen only work if they are the main mode of play, and not a shoehorned addition. For example in Super Mario Galaxy you have to shake the controller to do the spin attack, which is the primary means of attack in that game. There is no reason this couldn't be a button, so it feels like they did that just because they had to put it in somehow.

In contrast, the mini-games in SMG (like where you balance on a ball or race bloopers), are primarily motion controls, and work much better than mostly regular controls with a few waggles thrown in.

So really this could work. But for it to work they would have to totally redesign the 3D Zelda control scheme. But I'm getting the feeling that all it's going to be is the old control scheme with vertical and sidewards swipes taking the place of buttons.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
cball11 said:
I know you didn't actually quote me here but I felt the need to give my 2 cents.

For me I feel that wii motes and touch screen only work if they are the main mode of play, and not a shoehorned addition. For example in Super Mario Galaxy you have to shake the controller to do the spin attack, which is the primary means of attack in that game. There is no reason this couldn't be a button, so it feels like they did that just because they had to put it in somehow.

In contrast, the mini-games in SMG (like where you balance on a ball or race bloopers), are primarily motion controls, and work much better than mostly regular controls with a few waggles thrown in.

So really this could work. But for it to work they would have to totally redesign the 3D Zelda control scheme. But I'm getting the feeling that all it's going to be is the old control scheme with vertical and sidewards swipes taking the place of buttons.
I completely agree, and do think that motion controls shouldn't be shoehorned into play. If classic control (which people seem to want) is included, there's no way motion control couldn't be shoehorned in, it just couldn't work IMO, they're worlds apart.

Do you think it could be second person then? Could TP not have worked as it was with Motion Plus? I don't think the mechanics will be just vertical and horizontal swipes replacing buttons, because that's what Twilight Princess was, when it lacked MP. I look more towards Wii Sports Resort when I think motion Plus Swordplay.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Eric the Orange said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
cball11 said:

I completely agree, and do think that motion controls shouldn't be shoehorned into play. If classic control (which people seem to want) is included, there's no way motion control couldn't be shoehorned in, it just couldn't work IMO, they're worlds apart.

Do you think it could be second person then? Could TP not have worked as it was with Motion Plus? I don't think the mechanics will be just vertical and horizontal swipes replacing buttons, because that's what Twilight Princess was, when it lacked MP. I look more towards Wii Sports Resort when I think motion Plus Swordplay.
Er, I don't understand what second person means in that context. And I got TP for Gamecube, so I can't really comment on it's Wii controls.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
cball11 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
ZeroMachine said:

O_O. Mother fu-

So we have no one, smashing, thanks for that. Oh wait we have Hector, and he's a beast. :D

The entire game was mirrored though (TP) which is why, and I guess they're sticking with it, because ever since the first game he's been a leftie, I can't think of a game where he wasn't.
cball11 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
cball11 said:
It's simple. As long as I would have to put up with the obnoxious motion sensitive control scheme of the Wii, or stylus control for the DS, I won't be getting either. I won't be playing Nintendo games until they get their shit together. Nintendo's first party games have never been about story elements, only good and engaging gameplay. (and artful music) The controls on their current generation systems are awful and incoherent. I will simply not put up with them when Sony and Microsoft have perfectly normal and dependable control schemes and better games on their systems. I have a job, a college, and a dick that all need time and attention. I can't spend a lot of time on games. When I do spend the time, they have to be the best games that can be found and they can't waste my time with gimmicky shit. That's that.
That still doesn't explain how the game is going to be utter crap though. If you're not a fan of motion sensing, even the prospect of highly accurate motion sensing (which is what people expect this to be) then that's a completely different kettle of fish. Super Mario Galaxy was a quality game, practically everyone knows that.

Even Mario Kart, while somewhat watered down in comparison to the last two titles was a good game, and I'm having trouble thinking of a motion sensing first party game that was poorly done. So really I'm not sure if they have to get their shit together or you just have to get the motion-sensing stick out of your ass, which I mean in the least offensive way possible.

P.S. I didn't get a notification of that quote, did you edit it in? Because apparently if you're going to quote someone it's best to just double post so they know you are quoting them.
I kinda like that stick right where it is, it saves me time, money, and frustration. Back when I heard the Wii was going to be motion sensitive, I took comfort in the Classic Controller, expecting most, if not all games, would have an option. But no. Of course not. It isn't innovation in my opinion, it's a step backwards. It doesn't matter how much money they make or how "quality" their games are. The control system is unforgivably silly. There's nothing redeeming enough to make me put up with it.

Hahaha, I didn't realize editing in a quote wouldn't send you the notification. I fucked up the quote part the first time around and double posting gets other people flamed into the ground, so I didn't bother.
Weren't you the guy, who when people were being offended by what you were saying, you told them to "grow thicker skin"? I didn't think you would care. ;)

We seem to be the polar opposite. I think motion controls have done some good, and are now spearheading a movement into more motion controlled games, which I think is a good thing, it gives the potential for more immersive games from a more tangible standpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I've played some motion controlled trash in my day, but I've also played some great titles where the controls work well. I'll be interested to see your views on the other two control schemes, but for now it is what it is.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Excuse me one minute.

*walks out room*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*walks back in*

Day 1 purchase for me!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Eric the Orange said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
cball11 said:

Er, I don't understand what second person means in that context. And I got TP for Gamecube, so I can't really comment on it's Wii controls.
Sorry, that was wrong. I mean over the shoulder, kind of like Z-Targeting in Ocarina of Time, only more zoomed in. That's how I would imagine it, but it's only because I keep using bloody Wii Sports Resort as a point of reference.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Sorry, that was wrong. I mean over the shoulder, kind of like Z-Targeting in Ocarina of Time, only more zoomed in. That's how I would imagine it, but it's only because I keep using bloody Wii Sports Resort as a point of reference.
Possibly, but if it's only the sword work that is motion controls it may still feel out of place with the other regular controls. So they would have totally reinvent how you interact with things, use items, move around, ect. And while Nintendo dose have a good track record with reinventing game mechanics (most of there 3D-ifying of there old 2D franchises went pretty well despite having radically different controls), I'm still weary. Definitely rent first.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Im having a hard time believing that it will be anything more than just random waggling.

EDIT: That statue is master sword, right?

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
No, not at all.

Chaotic Neutral said:
This just in: Nintendo finally puts forth slight effort to make the Wii do what it was always supposed to do! Thousands of Zelda fanboys weep in joy!

Seriously, it's taken them this long to get around to fixing the selling point of the console, and that ticks me off. If it weren't for No More Heroes, I'd sell mine for half price and count myself lucky to get that much back. Maybe this will trigger the creation of other games that are worth my money though. One can hope.
Lets hope.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Possibly, but if it's only the sword work that is motion controls it may still feel out of place with the other regular controls. So they would have totally reinvent how you interact with things, use items, move around, ect. And while Nintendo dose have a good track record with reinventing game mechanics (most of there 3D-ifying of there old 2D franchises went pretty well despite having radically different controls), I'm still weary. Definitely rent first.
Seems fair.

McOrdinaryish said:
Im having a hard time believing that it will be anything more than just random waggling.
Red Steel 2 says hi, and that Ubisoft claims to have killed waggle. It registers stronger and weaker swings, among other things. I think it'll be fine.

ElDee

Oct 3, 2009
MotionPlus is what we should have been using from day one. If the new Zelda controls are like the Archery and Swordplay events in Wii Sports Resort then it's going to be fantastic. 1:1 motion control is so much better than the pointless waggle.

Day one purchase.

Also, for those complaining about Link being right handed, that was because of the Wii controls. If you're going to hold the Wii Remote in your right hand, as the majority of players are, then Link has to hold his sword in that hand. I expect the option to make Link a lefty (though you'll have to be left handed too) in the new game.