Newell: Apple is Steam Box's Biggest Threat

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Tanakh said:
iniudan said:
No to wich part?
To your first paragraph, has you seem to have thought it was just a console that can interact with a PC, while what they are working on is a PC, which the software have been configured to offer a more console/htpc like experience out of the box (but you are free to scrap that experience and make it work like a desktop PC, with the OS of your choice), for hardware we will have to wait and see for official announcement, before knowing if can upgrade it or not, and to what extend, if yes.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
=( Clicked quote instead of edit on my own post sorry. Delete this one if you can please.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
So this is it Valve? You have been amassing armies of fanboys and even making games for Apple so they would not expect anything. And now? Apple must die for us to see a Steam Box? Die it will then, because there can be only one winner in GAME OF COUCHES!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm actually starting to really like Gabe Newell just on his comments and his business practices, and it feels like it might be possible to have the steam box become the super NES of the next generation. I remember what Nintendo and Sony were like in their glory days, and in many ways Valve is sharing a lot of the good traits those companies previously had. Also, the mass discount sales that steam started appear to be the answer to the disappearance of the local video game rental system: instead of renting games we don't know anything about, we just buy them up when they are 50-75% off. Only now, we get to keep the rentals instead of having to send them back or pay late fees.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
As much as I want to agree with Gabe, calling Apple and MS the biggest competitors seems a bit off to me. They already have so many issues that it's not even funny. At this point, it's a joke for them to be competing in the market unless they bring something new and fresh. Something which I can guarantee will not happen soon.

rhizhim said:
great job.

this only made your nightmare become more real since you just gave apple the idea to compete with you now, idiot.
Yeah; that's if Apple gets their head out of their ass and actually thinks for a bit. At this point, Apple's idea of gaming is Angry Birds. Not the console/PC experiences that us gamers are used to. So I'm not worried about Apple being a major competitor, especially since they are very, very hostile to developers in general...

Griffolion said:
Nope, their biggest threat is Microsoft, the people that have been successfully in the living room for 7 years now. Apple TV is quaint, and works well with other Apple products, but Xbox's evolution has turned into an extensible media center. And that will only improve with whatever consoles are next out (and when they actually make SmartGlass usable).
Their biggest threat is MS?

Can I have what you're having? It seems rather good.

I don't see MS ruling the living room at all. Did you by chance read Jim Sterling's look on Playstation+? That should explain why.

If you haven't, allow me to paraphrase: GOLD IS FREAKING EXPENSIVE, AND NO WORTHY EXCLUSIVES. And the fact that they seem to be pushing ads (ON GOLD) like crazy, I don't see them as a threat at this point.

iniudan said:
No he didn't speak of console, he spoke of living room platform, which involve more then video game, through it is indeed one of component, and for that Apple got a major advantage compared to Microsoft, has their mobile platform is way more popular, while Android is more popular it is way more disparate, which can cause it to lag behind on integration side, has to have to take in consideration way more product that are on the market.
I'm confused. First you say that Apple's good at the living room platform, but now you then say that they have a good advantage in the mobile sector. It doesn't guarantee anything. Look at Windows Phone/Mobile. Windows is on "90% of all PCs!" which is bullshit, due to the difficulty there is figuring out Linux installs. But Windows on PCs is king for now. Didn't stop Windows Mobile from not having that same market share. Android wins in there.

Basically you have to think in the future, you TV will just be a big screen streaming device, into which multiple device seamlessly connected, right now he just trying to get a foothold with a PC based console, to at least have a living room based hub, later will most likely likely have preconfigured server that can take care of a whole house, if first step is successful. If you consider other product be developed around the steambox, I think it to be a reasonable guess.
It's called a PC. Which can be done off the shelf with the Internet. I don't understand why people are going nuts over a unified media center when one can be made without that much effort. The most you have to do is probably sign up for some services and attach cables, both of which consoles make us do anyway.

Most of those thing can already be done it just that it require someone who can provide and build such system, he just trying to have an off the shelf solution that can support PC gaming [and thus Valve/Steam without any possible hindrance, especially if betting on Linux work], has OEM didn't come up with a product that can fill such task yet, which he is cooperating with, has I don't think Valve will manufacture anything under their own brand, beyond maybe a Google Nexus like reference product, but I think think it will be more severe then Google with Android, has to what can be marketed under Steambox, has a good PC gaming experience is more demanding then a general use product like Android.
The problem with off the shelf PC gaming is that it'll be way too expensive. Now, of course, we know that most gaming PCs don't cost a fortune, AKA building your own. But, having to keep up with technology to support such games is going to be a PC gaming-like feat in itself. Valve should time this just right to avoid stagnation in the market, which is what's happening now. Unfortunately, it's very, very easy to mess this up, which is why I'm being so skeptical about this whole shebang.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
rhizhim said:
I understand the point your making but if this gave apple the Idea of making a console then with the long LONG time it takes to get a console on the market from Idea to shelf then they would be 2-3 years late to the next console generation.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I for one welcome our new steam overlo-- what? too early? aww...

Seriously, though, I really do hope Valve can kick the closed console practice out of business. Apple is even noticing the shift right now with their smartphones. People (both retailers and consumers) are slowly getting fed up with Apples bullshit over the iPhone and starting to favor other alternatives, like Samsung (from whom, funnily enough, Apple buys tonnes of stuff from).

For the last 4 months, I've been working in a store that sells and repairs used iPhones (among other things), and have come to realize what a terrible deal the customer is actually signing up for when they buy one new. No, really, people are only buying the things because they're iPhones. Not because they think they're good, useful or powerful. They're buying them just because they're iPhones. It's a god damned fashion thing, and every time we repair yet another broken display I almost can't help but feel sorry for the poor sods who got themselves brainwashed into buying one.
And don't even get me started on the accessories...

I find it disconcerting that they're going after the console market now, as well. What if they somehow also manage to brainwash the console gamers into thinking that their particular brand of "exclusive" overpriced box is teh shit? I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone, not even the unwashed console peasants ;).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'd buy an apple console over a steam console actually. i like apple more then Valve.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
thesilentman said:
You are forgetting the common user in a lot in thing you are suggesting. Also Linux is not hard, is just an illusion that the intermediate user have, has most help available will come in the form of command line, even if they are graphic tool available, know why, because advanced user don't want to have to deal with giving instruction for the GUI utility that will do the task, has you are likely to make or they to induce error with all the GUI variation possible, while the CLI is mostly universal.

Apple already got their product in the living room, Apple TV, currently it limited to media streaming, but if they open that thing to their app store and release model with better hardware, you gonna start seeing why Gabe consider them the main competition for the living room.

Also with more and more people having a capable general purpose mobile device on their person, of which the hardware performance have highly improved over the years, you can easily see why a central hub get increasingly interesting for additional people. Has you basically would just need to be in proximity to a terminal or hub connection and your device could become the client or server of the session. In a few years most people will no longer need desktop or laptop, has they would just need to connect a task appropriate device to their phone, basically most desktop and laptop will become thin client terminal, actual desktop or laptop are for those that will still require brute force, but those has year will go by they become easier to replace with remote access server for an increasing number of task.

Also about any modern general user aimed Linux distro are has easy to install then Windows, if the system doesn't have secure boot, this one, which is mostly a problem with OEM build system, that Microsoft has create with their windows 8 certification requirement.

Has for the part where you "It called a PC, it can be done off the shelf with the internet" I think your forgetting something in that paragraph, for the general user that not much effort is still too much. Gabe want to give them a solution that not too much, while still flexible and open for advanced user, which Apple will never do, and which Microsoft cannot be relied to do, has Windows might be open for anyone, willing to pay, to use, and it work well, but the thing is their software are made in a way to keep you locked into their grasp. (I admit they become more open over the last few years, but with some of the thing they are pulling with their newest clients OS iteration, it hard to guess if they will continue that way or try to eat the forbidden Apple)

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
rhizhim said:
great job.

this only made your nightmare become more real since you just gave apple the idea to compete with you now, idiot.
Just... No...

Really... If Apple were to ONLY JUST start developing a console because Gabe Newell said that they could be a threat, then it would take them a few years to actually get it to a good and respectable standard... By that time, they wouldn't really be a threat since the console would have already made its place in the console generation.
Apple already got their console in people home, they just need to activate the app store on it and boom, Apple TV, become Apple console (Ok I admit in the current state of App store game selection, the competition is mostly thing like Ouya, XBLA and indie on Steam). But been Apple, they will most likely release a new model to do that. =p

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Evil Smurf said:
I'd buy an apple console over a steam console actually. i like apple more then Valve.
I knew it! I will not be disarmed by the cute cat avatar! You are the face of true evil!

ALL APPLE USERS MUST BUUUUURN! HAIL GABE! KING OF ALL INTERNETZ!
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsndojXxo4yBnI6yV9mfl5SUFtPPmJod-_T5aCznB_M_gxEusE
Come at me bro!

I just find apple software easier to use and their style sexier then the competition. IOS is better then android user-friendly wise and windows has only ever made me frustrated. That's not to say I don't like valve. They have made gaming for me a reality for me and embrace open source environments, like Linux which I also run alongside OSX. Besides an apple console would work well with the apple ecosystem I have at home.

I am evil though, I am a communist.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
VanQQisH said:
I think the biggest threat Apple poses is releasing a console and then patenting several key feature that have been standard long before they ever entered the market. Thus, causing all sorts of trouble and further stagnation in the market. Apple have proven to be the worst kind of patent trolls in the past and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again.

But seriously, forget consoles and living rooms Gabe! Hurry up and get that VR device you're funding up and running. Just think about it, you can have double the amount of money pools to swim in once you release that bad boy onto the market!
Hell yeah they would.

A VR headset with head tracking, eye tracking, augmented reality rendering, AND biometric sensing and feedback?

Sign me the hell up!

[and queue the standard "shut up and take my money" pic from Futurama]

erttheking said:
Did you have to be so freaking inflammatory? You act like you're trying to start something
Does that really surprise you?

It's standard procedure around here:
> Thread or news item started on the topic of Valve, Steam, Half-Life, or Gabe Newell.
> First few comments; pages even; see the usual suspects chime in with irrational, confrontational "Valve hate". Both for the company and it's fans. Often insinuating, in an insulting fashion, that the thread will be filled with nothing but blind "fanboy" praise.
> Hateful comments are often followed by primarily calm, well mannered comments from posters simply posting their thoughts on the topic at hand or making humorous quips about the topic, Mr. Newells weight, or Half-Life 3 being delayed.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Evil Smurf said:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsndojXxo4yBnI6yV9mfl5SUFtPPmJod-_T5aCznB_M_gxEusE
Come at me bro!

I just find apple software easier to use and their style sexier then the competition. IOS is better then android user-friendly wise and windows has only ever made me frustrated. That's not to say I don't like valve. They have made gaming for me a reality for me and embrace open source environments, like Linux which I also run alongside OSX. Besides an apple console would work well with the apple ecosystem I have at home.

I am evil though, I am a communist.
COMMUNIST! BURN HIM! BURN HIM! DEATH TO THE COMMIE! DEATH TO THE FASCIST! DEA...

Wait, what were we talking about? My mind's drifted off again.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
iniudan said:
To your first paragraph, has you seem to have thought it was just a console that can interact with a PC, while what they are working on is a PC, which the software have been configured to offer a more console/htpc like experience out of the box (but you are free to scrap that experience and make it work like a desktop PC, with the OS of your choice), for hardware we will have to wait and see for official announcement, before knowing if can upgrade it or not, and to what extend, if yes.
I still don't understand whats the magical diference between a console and a PC. You can literally do anything you can do on a PC on a PS2 with linux (barring system specs of course) and there is no technical limitation preventing you to do the same with a PS3 or Xbox360; you can also run any console OS as a program on a PC and it's common practice to have PCs emulating future consoles for the devs to explore them.

I know the same argument can be done for every hardware that has transistors or something capable of processing info, but a console this generation is preciesly just a kind HTPC (gimped in the sense of it having less freedom with the software than some, great in the sense of game library); if you disagree i would request a technical definition of console that differentiates em from a HTPC.

Then again... dunno, maybe i am wrong, this forums seems to take the "consoles are not PCs and PCs are not consoles" as serious buinsess when the only physical difference was consoles not having hard drives and that changes a long time ago.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Tanakh said:
I still don't understand whats the magical diference between a console and a PC. You can literally do anything you can do on a PC on a PS2 with linux (barring system specs of course) and there is no technical limitation preventing you to do the same with a PS3 or Xbox360; you can also run any console OS as a program on a PC and it's common practice to have PCs emulating future consoles for the devs to explore them.

I know the same argument can be done for every hardware that has transistors or something capable of processing info, but a console this generation is preciesly just a kind HTPC (gimped in the sense of it having less freedom with the software than some, great in the sense of game library); if you disagree i would request a technical definition of console that differentiates em from a HTPC.

Then again... dunno, maybe i am wrong, this forums seems to take the "consoles are not PCs and PCs are not consoles" as serious buinsess when the only physical difference was consoles not having hard drives and that changes a long time ago.
One is a closed system and the other one isn't.

You were right in that you could install Linux onto a console, the US Airforce used 1,730 PS3's to create a supercomputer using it.

Unfortunately Sony closed that option, screwing the Airforce out.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100513/0113129410.shtml

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Ed130 said:
One is a closed system and the other one isn't.
Last time I checked a mac mini is among the best HTPC you can get and popular brands like AMD's Trinity come with windows and don't offer support for anything else (any other thing should run, but since they are APUs I am not sure about it)... so I am still confused which one is supposed to be closed and what do you mean by closed.

Also, while you can, I don't think defining a hardware by the kind of software released for it, not the one it's capable for, it's appropiate, but that's just me.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Can the steambox install an update in less than 3 hours? Because my Apple TV thing takes 3 hours. Even though it runs off my internet connection, it's still so incredibly, molasses-in-an-igloo-in-January-slow. If Steambox can beat that, they've got my vote.