Newell: Valve to Replace Single-Player With "Single-Player Plus"

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Gabe...
"Every gamer has a Facebook account."
Screw off. There is always the odd one out rule, and I happily make example of that rule, but I doubt I am not the only one seeing as half th posts are bitching about that comment FTW!

If you wanna waste potential hl3 development time then fine... you do that... just make sure there is an offline button so I don't have to pull my internet cable out as to avoid being pissed off by little pop-ups from random people, or advise that there is a head crab round the corner...

M_aureus

Aug 3, 2010
Dansrage said:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentance is everything that's wrong with gaming today.
I don't think there is anything wrong with gamers having Facebook accounts. And besides, gaming is becoming more and more social as the years go by.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
M_aureus said:
Dansrage said:
"Every gamer has facebook account"

That sentance is everything that's wrong with gaming today.
I don't think there is anything wrong with gamers having Facebook accounts. And besides, gaming is becoming more and more social as the years go by.
Gaming may be becoming more social or whatever but that doesn't mean that everyone has to like it. I hate the very idea of sharing personal information on the internet, so I don't use facebook or any other services like it. So if there is to be some sort of "social integration" in single player games you should be allowed to deactivate it completely without any negative effect on your single player experience.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Gabe, you don't know what you're talking about. I don't have a Facebook-account, and I'm a gamer.

clicketycrack

Apr 6, 2009
Well geez. More often than not, I play single player because I don't want to mess around with other people.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
More multiplayer bullshit.

I feel like a relic nowadays.
you and me both....

i had figured the point of...games really, but single player especially was to immerse yourself in an experience, and thats quite impossible when they keep reminding me of all random assholes online. i find it incredibly ironic how games just now become recognized as art when virtually no one seems to want to focus on the art part. immersion is seriously hurt when you remind me of reality, and outright murdered when you pester me about it. so seeing as id end up deactivating everything social as best i can, valve can only hamper their games with things i cant deactivate.

no one explicitly designs movies, music, or literature to involve assholes you know, just saying. really dont see why everyone wants to add some facebook knockoff to their games now, thats kinda what facebook is for (which i dont have).

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Ophiuchus said:
entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people."
No. No it isn't. At all.

Can someone please explain this thinking? What's wrong with a fully single-player experience?
It is for some people, personally I think multiplayer makes games better, as long as the single player experience is still good.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
itt angry sociopaths, hurt that the industry would rather cater to normal human beings than recluses

Just because you don't have a facebook account doesn't mean it's irrelevant. We live in a social world. We are a social species. If you don't want to associate with people in gaming because you're playing real life wrong, then don't, but don't try to justify yourself and besmirch the importance of social networks and communities just because you're not part of them - hint hint, that's why you're not the target market anymore. It's not even that hard to find immersion in multiplayer games. In fact, isn't the medium most known for immersion, tabletop RPGs, almost completely social?

I personally love a full singleplayer experience. I detest matchmaking type games, and public "facebook" games. I probably won't go anywhere near any sort of game with my fb account, just because I don't care. But that doesn't mean blurring the line between single player experiences and social interaction is a bad thing. I'm actually getting a lot of Demon's Souls vibes from this. That's a good thing.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Noble Cookie said:
Ophiuchus said:
entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people."
No. No it isn't. At all.

Can someone please explain this thinking? What's wrong with a fully single-player experience?
It is for some people, personally I think multiplayer makes games better, as long as the single player experience is still good.
No to 'it is for some people', by virtue of the fact that he said it's "inherently increased in value" by forcing us to get other people involved.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I have two problems with Multiplayer:

1. You need friends with the same games and roughly same time schedule and same mood
2. A Multiplayer experience is only as good as its community. Which in Co-Ops is reduced to only one partner of course, but the less players in the party, the more frustrating a single fuckup. It's a two-edged sword at all times.

With Singleplayer I can play it whenever I want without depending on someone else and I can make it a personal experience. It also allows me to just look around and appreciate the game without being dragged to the next checkpoint.

Mar 30, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
"Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and want to have that connected as well," Newell added. "It's not about giving up on single-player at all, we actually think that there are a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single-player games to recognize the socially-connected gamer. Every gamer is instant messaging, every gamer has a Facebook account. If you pretend this doesn't exist you're ignoring the problems you ought to be taking on, so it's 'single-player plus,' not 'no more single-player.'"
Apparently I'm not a gamer then. I never use instant messenger (and for some reason my XBL account hasn't been able to sign into Messenger for months; no great loss) and I've never had a Facebook account. This smacks a little of that Bethesda dev the other month claiming that anyone who said graphics didn't matter was a liar - devs throwing out blanket statements to justify the route they've taken in the industry irrespective of facts.

Sorry Gabe, but if you're going to basically force co-op play onto people in your future releases (which is what 'single player plus' with friends sounds like to me), then count me out.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Who put his fucking joker in charge anyways?? Look at this thread, I mean LOOK at it, these are the people that made Half-Life a success you IDIOT. Quit spitting in their faces and release Ep.3 already. Making announcements like this...sheesh, I'm at a loss for words. And I feel sorry for everyone here. He talks as if he's the big authority on what gamers want, but a glance at any single page here will tell you otherwise, regardless of the people trying to say it's "misinterpreted" (I give you credit for your nobility in trying to calm the flames, people, but 6 pages of "misinterpretation" is going to take a lot more)