NEWS: 6.5 ton NASA Satelite crashes on Argentina, 10 people killed

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
So, not only did NASA's satellite come down days ago (probably in the middle of the pacific), it's last ground track is nowhere near any part of south america, let alone argentina. It even says in the article that local authorities suspect a gas leak.

Way to go OP. your title isn't misleading, it's just completely wrong.

UARS last ground track, for those who care:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/591662main_UARS%20Map.pdf

sephthewind

Mar 30, 2011
Fostaar said:
usmarine4160 said:
So Starship Troopers was a documentary from the future?
no! it was an advertisement... from the future
Would you like to know more?

OT: Yoooou should definitely read the English link, and reconsider just about this entire post. The only links to a falling object and this story were a few reports and some guy with a fake photo, other than that it just seems to be a case of shoddy gas lines causing an accidental explosion.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
English Stew said:
snip
The fact is, nothing we make that isn't designed for re-entry would survive the immense deceleration caused by moving from vacuum to atmosphere. The reason NASA said not to worry about the satellite is that they knew it would just burn up just like everything that isn't hard as a rock and thick enough to with-stand having it's outer layers boiled off.
snip
Why else would the Shire of Esperance in Western Australia have fined NASA for littering when Skylab came down around Perth?

OK that has very little to do with the OP but the littering fine is just a classic bit of Australian cheekiness that often goes unheralded.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
I think I should feel a little bad for the fact that I am more upset at the idiocy of that OP than by the fact that a person was killed by an exploding pizza oven.

Then again, now I'm starting to get hungry, which seems even worse.

English Stew

Apr 23, 2011
ravensheart18 said:
English Stew said:
The fact is, nothing we make that isn't designed for re-entry would survive the immense deceleration caused by moving from vacuum to atmosphere. The reason NASA said not to worry about the satellite is that they knew it would just burn up just like everything that isn't hard as a rock and thick enough to with-stand having it's outer layers boiled off.
You really don't know what you are talking about do you? NASA detailed a list of parts on that particular bird that would probably survive reentry. More than one satalite has hit the earth with sizable pieces making it through the atmosphere.
Oh.

Sorry. :(

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Nouw said:
usmarine4160 said:
So Starship Troopers was a documentary from the future?
Paul Verhoeven is a time-traveler damn it!
Would you like to know more? About your own future that is?

OT: Read into it, doesn't look like the satellite caused it. Kind of a freaky coincidence.