News show fails at life - Monkey Island style!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
pneuma08 said:
"What could possibly be SCUMM? I Googled it, and it's an alcohol delivery service"

What? But...how? I don't - maybe it's a language discrepancy. But what could he possibly be referring to?
SCUMM was the game engine that Monkey Island ran on and the name of the bar where Guybrush meets the pirates.

When the dude googled it up it probably came SCUMM as the Pirate bar. A bar is a place where alcohol is sold. The doctor isn't very smart.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
144 said:
O hohohoho. There's no better form of comedy than reality.
There is no truer sentence out there. You can find comedy in almost any situation.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Neonbob said:
That...that was special.
As in the short bus.

Actually, you know what?
I think that's beyond the short bus.
Perhaps a clown car.
If that makes any sense.
Oh, it does. A very sad clown car. That was driven by pranksters right over the short bus. And the news agency decided to take the clown car to replace the short bus and drive off with it. How the fuck do you even look at the list and not just say "Next story!"

And I thought Fox was bad....

/facepalm

EDIT: Gov't run or not, as the head of the agency how the hell do you not walk in and say:
Everybody is fired! Get out, all of you! No news tonight, we start again tomorrow with a whole new crew! That's right, all of you! I don't give a fuck if it's not the janitor's fault, get the fuck out! And take your kerosene with you!

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
oliveira8 said:
pneuma08 said:
"What could possibly be SCUMM? I Googled it, and it's an alcohol delivery service"

What? But...how? I don't - maybe it's a language discrepancy. But what could he possibly be referring to?
SCUMM was the game engine that Monkey Island ran on and the name of the bar where Guybrush meets the pirates.

When the dude googled it up it probably came SCUMM as the Pirate bar. A bar is a place where alcohol is sold. The doctor isn't very smart.
Hm, an interesting theory. Still, I don't know if I would ever describe a bar as "an alcohol delivery service". It's more of a seller and less of a service.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
pneuma08 said:
oliveira8 said:
pneuma08 said:

Hm, an interesting theory. Still, I don't know if I would ever describe a bar as "an alcohol delivery service". It's more of a seller and less of a service.
It's the translator's fault and the doctor's fault. The man says first a place..then grumbles and says something like service(In spanish of course).

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
pneuma08 said:

Google Argentina's first hit for SCUMM is ScummVM (the SCUMM emulator), then tons of hits for Lucasarts, the Wiki article for SCUMM, etc. I don't know what he googled up to come up with a bar.

Googling scumm delivery comes up with the drink delivery service he was referring to, though: http://www.scummdelivery.com.ar/index2.html

oliveira8 said:
pneuma08 said:
oliveira8 said:
pneuma08 said:

It's the translator's fault and the doctor's fault. The man says first a place..then grumbles and says something like service(In spanish of course).
What he says "It's a.. a... delivery of alcoholic drinks in the West zone (of Buenos Aires)". But still, I don't know he came accross it (look just above)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Almost like an American News station reporting on the graphic child sex you can have in Sims.

Lord knows that little incident was foxy.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Wish they had made it themselves as research.

But obviously they didn't research the story at all, I'm sure if you googled the ingredients together you would get a Monkey Island site... brb.

Well right now you get a load of sites showing this news bit, but I'm sure before it would have been a MI site.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
LOL.

Seriously, I wish I had more to contribute to this thread, but all I can say is one massive LOL.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
What's funny is that a number of people would be busting up laughing at that story and others would be horrified. I bet they call got a call in the next day explaining things and making them look really dumb.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Were the clips from Monkey Island in the original newscast or were they added by the guy who put it on youtube?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Holy crap, has anyone written this news station and told them the drink in question is the monkey island grog? I mean holy hell doesn't anyone over there know how to use google?.

This is like soopah mega ultra fail on a level that just surpasses anything I've ever seen.

I mean seriously? They really think people would put battery acid in a drink hahaha. I'm going to go play monkey island now and laugh the entire time.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I think the most worrying part is that the height of their journalistic abilities is to "google it".