Next Bond film to be called "Skyfall". Will Bethesda sue?

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, Bethesda was forced to sue otherwise they would have lost their copyright to The Elder Scrolls. They aren't suing everyone left, right and centre just because they feel like it. If it does infringe on the copyright then they will sue.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like how bethesda has become the dumb kid on the playground who always wants to fight "timmy just called you a moron, you should go punch him"

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
If Bethesda tried to sue I'd lose a lot of respect for them, if not all of it. Suing over shit like this is simply because of greed. Nobody is going to confuse a bond movie with skyrim.

In honesty I don't think they will sue though... I hope.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Yeah, Bethesda was forced to sue otherwise they would have lost their copyright to The Elder Scrolls. They aren't suing everyone left, right and centre just because they feel like it. If it does infringe on the copyright then they will sue.
I agree with this, they just need to be a little less paranoid with regards to copyright. Scrolls is too generic, Sky is too generic. I can understand suing for suspiciously named rip-offs such as "The Scroll of the Sky Dragons", though.

Or Elder Dragons: Sky Scrolls, or Falling Sky: Dragon Scrolls.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
I found the title and opening post rather funny.

But I do find the name of the next Bond film rather lacking. "James Bond in...Skyfall."

...?

What happened to classy titles like "The Man With the Golden Gun", or "Octopussy"--hell, "Goldfinger" alone is just such a great title.

I'm not sure I like the new Bond. Sure movies change with time, but this serious Bond is just...so...Bourne Identity like or whatnot. For me, while they still look like good movies--well presented, well developed, well produced and all that jazz--they just lack that action-movie style of the 90's, and Bond himself doesn't seem to have as much of that attractive man's-man persona anymore. He's just another secret agent in distress, getting the job done at all costs with less of the funny one liners and all that.

I guess what I'm saying is Bond seems to have gone from 'fun' to 'serious', kind of like the tone of video games seems to have gone from 'fun' to 'serious' to 'stupid'. Come on, I don't want to play a soldier in a war torn environment fighting to prevent the trade or destruction of nukes and/or the end of the world for the millionth time--I've done that in a dozen games already in the past four years alone!

Anywho, oh well for the new Bond. I guess I'll always hold Goldfinger, The Man With The Golden Gun, License To Kill, and Goldeneye as my top bond films.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Shouldn't the inventor of the scroll button sue Bethesta for the use of "Scrolls"?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Skyfall...Skyrim...yeahh that's confusing. time to sue!!

Sam Mendes? ah well it's not Martin Cambell, but at least it's not Marc Foster this time around

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Fail joke is fail.

Anyways, Bethesda's trademark covers videogames only, so they don't have a leg to stand on.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Yeah, that joke was never really that funny to begin with.
I give this thread about five posts until it becomes a desolate 'corporations are evil' wasteland.
Desolate wastelands are too similar to Fallout, so TC is likely to be sued for it. :D

UBERfionn said:
People keep jumping at Bethesda over this but they are just defending their trademarks. Win or lose they still need to defend it to prevent a "The Oldest Scrolls" game form coming out.
Because they're not defending their trademarks, they're just being bullies. Them saying you can't use the word "Scrolls" in anything because they have "The Elder Scrolls" is no better than Tim Langdell trying to stop everyone else in the universe from using the word "Edge". Remember what happened to him? He got his ass kicked when EA did the only good thing they have ever done and will ever do for this industry. It almost makes me wish that EA was publishing Mojang's game so they could kick Bethesda's sorry ass too.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Ha! I really hope so, and being fair - this is kind of true.
If they sued Mojang for a sing word, they'll surely get them for a single syllable. But of course they won't... because they'll probably have a ton of money and lawyers, whereas Mojang don't have half of that.
Although I swear to god if they do go ahead and sue them I swear I will be so happy - because you know, if you're going to be a douche - at least stick with it eh?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I recent news, God is suing all of these companies claiming he owns all the copyrights to the sky.

MrRetroSpectacles

Mar 6, 2011
No otherwise 'Skyline' would be toast. Which would also have benefited the film industry, it was ok until it turned out that Humanities situation would never be salvaged a la independence day, it just stayed with a really depressing tone of 'nothing we can do works'.

Puts me in mind of watching paint dry, badly.

Also, Bethesda wouldn't dare take on the Bond franchise, it's been a powerhouse since before videogames were even conceivable.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
rhizhim said:
wooty said:
Probably, it seems that these days lawsuits are the new in thing.
WHAT? lawsuits with ridiculous reasons for ludicrous amounts of money in AMERICA?

it never happened before!

2006, Allen Heckard sued Michael Jordan and Nike founder Phil Knight for $832 million. He claimed to suffer defamation, permanent injury, and emotional pain and suffering because people often mistook him for the basketball star.
2000, Cleanthi Peters sued Universal Studios for $15,000. She claimed to have suffered extreme fear, mental anguish, and emotional distress due to visiting Universal Studios? Halloween Horror Nights haunted house, which she said was too scary.
1995, Robert Lee Brock sued himself for $5 million. He claimed that he had violated his own civil rights and religious beliefs by allowing himself to get drunk and commit crimes which landed him in the Indian Creek Correctional Center in Virginia, serving a 23 year sentence for grand larceny and breaking and entering. What could he possibly have to gain by suing himself? Since being in prison prevented him from having an income, he expected the state to pay
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01/21/woman-who-fell-into-a-fountain-while-texting-mulls-legal-action/

http://brainz.org/14-most-ridiculous-lawsuits-filed-riaa-and-mpaa/

http://www.dumb-lawsuits.com/
------------------------------------------
no Bethesda knows that MGM has more money and therefore can endure a long courtrun easily...

edit:

A 27-year-old Michigan man was involved in a minor rear-end collision. Four years later, he sued the man who rear-ended him, claiming the accident caused a change in his sexuality. He no longer desired his wife and was unable to perform sexually. He claimed that the accident actually changed his entire personality, causing him to leave his wife, move in with his parents, and begin hanging out in gay bars. The worst part of this case? He actually won it! He was awarded $200,000 and his wife was awarded $25,000.
Seconded!

Most lawsuits should be thrown out before they get to court due to ridiculousness. I seriously question why Judges don't do it more often.

Just think...these lawsuits could be some of the more sane ones.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
the only reason they won't sue is because the people producing Bond have a hell of a legal team behind them.

If it was another game developer, they would definitely sue.

Dunkerloop

Aug 8, 2011
The Lugz said:
Dunkerloop said:
zipzod said:
Skyrim, Skyfall, Skyward Sword, Skyoshock - the list grows. This is why you shouldn't try to copyright a 3-letter word. They'd have to sue everybody.
The Fewer the letters, the more lawsuits. I think this is something a company should take into mind when copyrighting commonly used/short words.
reminds me of the search engine nexus.. where a result becomes so common that you cannot handle it

for example, Google generates

results for documents containing 'e'

that'd be a lot of lawsuits if someone copyrighted e right?
Let's see. How many lawsuits would a person have to file if they copyrighted the letters a, b, and c?
(How many results I get off of google)
A = 25,270,000,000 Lawsuits
B = 16,060,000,000 Lawsuits
C = 20,060,000,000 Lawsuits
Put that together, and that's 61,390,000,000 Lawsuits. And that's a very, VERY, large underestimate, because that's just the amount of pages that have the letter A, B, or C on it in the internet. It'd be Uncountable if you were suing for every use of the letters, and again, this is limited to the internet. I'd make a guess as to how many suits there'd be, but I'd likely be off by several hundred million.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
Haha. Very funny I found this amusing.

OT: I'm going to say... maybe....