Next Fallout 4 Patch Improves Visuals on PS4 Pro, PC

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Next Fallout 4 Patch Improves Visuals on PS4 Pro, PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/969/969052.jpg

Update 1.9 will make the Wasteland look better than ever.

A new free update is coming to Fallout 4, and it will improve visuals for the game on both PlayStation 4 Pro and PC, Bethesda announced today [https://bethesda.net/en/article/52I2HyPCAowWG2ye8MKGU2/fallout-4-free-updates-high-resolution-texture-pack-and-ps4-pro-support].

Update 1.9 will add native 1440p resolution, improved draw distance for trees, grass, objects, and NPCs, and improved Godray effects when it arrives next week. On PC - where players will need another 58GB of storage space - Bethesda is promising a hefty high-resolution texture pack. You'll also want the following recommended specs:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7-5820K or better
GTX 1080 8GB
8GB+ Ram

"Consider this free download a love letter to our amazing PC fans that have supported us - not just with Fallout 4, but across multiple decades and games," the post reads. "If your system can handle it, the Commonwealth will look better than ever. Give it a shot and if you need to return to the original textures, you can disable them within the game's launcher menu."

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The engine is so poorly optimized to begin with that I'm assuming that the recommended requirements are so high out of necessity.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
FIFTY EIGHT GIGABYTES? Shit son. Thats a WHOLE game, in there.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
So basically what they're saying is that this a patch that includes the source textures used for high-poly models baked into textures ranging from 2048[sup]2[/sup] to 8192[sup]2[/sup], along with some INI tweaks anyone brave enough can do, topped off with some shader tweaks made to be more accurate at the cost of optimization.

Well, have fun with the complaints that you did nothing except break the game's performance even more!

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010

My lousy unreliable rural internet connection via 3G has a 50GB/month cap... *hops into settings to disable automatic updates* :p

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, if that's an enforced update that apparently TRIPLES the size of the current game (roughly and without DLCs), then I am safely going to scrap this game from my list of games I am going to be interested in.
If it's optional like the High-Res-Texture-Pack for Skyrim and the reason the update is overall so large, fine. But 58GB update for a 30GB game where I potentially not even going to use what's in said update... no, thank you.

Feb 7, 2016
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

*kneels to computer*

It's okay my precious 980ti...I know Fallout 4 makes you feel less powerful than you really are, but believe me, it's him, not you.

Does this bring optimization changes too? Because if not, I'm kind of scared what this will do to my hours of tweaking. I JUST BARELY managed ~60FPS when in the city and settlements

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I guess that'll put somewhat of a stop to people complaining that FO4 looks like shit. Honestly though, FO4 was more CPU intensive than GPU.

Apr 5, 2008
It can't seriously be 58gb. My game folder as it is all in is 41.3GB, but that includes 10GB of player made mods. There is no way hi res textures by themselves are an additional 58GB. Maaaybe worst case, it's 58GB altogether, but I find even that incredibly hard to believe. I suspect it's 5.8GB or thereabouts and a decimal point is missing. 6GB is about right for a hi res texture pack in a 30GB game, assuming it doesn't replace everything of course. AFAI can tell, the base game has 14GB of standard textures.

I hope the next Bethesda game has the ability to have many different/varied models for characters. ATM all men, women and children share the same model and it's a little sad that there are thin or fat, tall or short, curvy/beanpole people. I'd take that over Hi Res textures...admittedly only because I can download player made textures from Nexus myself :p

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I'm surprised Bethesda isn't simply re-releasing this as "Fallout 4: Special Edition" for twice the price as a standalone game.

Feb 7, 2016
Charcharo said:
On the one hand... I approve of this. On the other... I'd rather they actually continue FIXING the shitty excuse for a game.

DeliveryGodNoah said:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

*kneels to computer*

It's okay my precious 980ti...I know Fallout 4 makes you feel less powerful than you really are, but believe me, it's him, not you.

Does this bring optimization changes too? Because if not, I'm kind of scared what this will do to my hours of tweaking. I JUST BARELY managed ~60FPS when in the city and settlements
The city is CPU limited. Your Gimperon 980 Ti is fine, dont worry.
What the hell does gimperon mean?

And I'm aware. It's why I said the game makes it feel less powerful than it is. Thanks anyway though.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Maybe in 2 years or so, when I get the DLCs for 10 Euros and have a reasonable-priced beast of a machine. When the stars are right. When AMD, IF AMD becomes competitive again and decreases the prices...

Maybe by then someone will have made a mod that makes the base-building worth the while. And then, maybe, I will touch that game again with those textures.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
pookie101 said:
58 gb... mmmm lots of pretties for my 1778 hour game :)
You should feel horrible about that because so many people HATE this game! ;D

Please tell me that is with multiple characters and/or with mods? I don't have as much time as I'd like and only have one character, but about 150 hours with him.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
SmugFrog said:
pookie101 said:
58 gb... mmmm lots of pretties for my 1778 hour game :)
You should feel horrible about that because so many people HATE this game! ;D

Please tell me that is with multiple characters and/or with mods? I don't have as much time as I'd like and only have one character, but about 150 hours with him.
lots and lots of characters and i love building in the settlement system.. while alot of people hate fallout 4 for introducing the ability to build settlements i suspect that like me the people who do love it put in more time because of it compared to previous games.

personally ive loved all the games and have 1000+ hours in fallout 3 for instance but yeah i definitely love fallout 4 more. i do find it funny that all the complaints about fallout 3 seem to of vanished now FO4 is out.. have people forgotten how bad mothership zeta was?