Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm always confused when people say stuff like this. Because how many games do you need before you consider that a console "has" games? Playstation came out the gate with 5 total exclusive games, while having an additional 23 enhanced or shared games like Godfall and DMC5 Special Ed.

So 28 titles day 1.

How many titles does a console need Day 1 for you to consider it "having games"?

More then Demons Souls, which is the only PS5 game I'm remotely interested in that I can't play on anything else(and technically I have the OG game on PS3 so If I'm really needing a new Souls before Elden Ring drops.....someday...then I can default to that).

So more then one, I guess?

Maybe if Horizon: Forbidden West is Amazing that'll be 2 but I still need to be able to get the damn PS5 by then.

I guess if there's a Bloodborne 2 exclusive to the PS5 then that will be something but right now there's really nothing compelling me to go hunt down a PS5 and thus I'm more then happy waiting for a year or 3 until there's a couple "Oh, that looks really cool! I guess I can pay out for one now" games out there.

Wait, I just checked and Horizon: Forbidden west will be available for the PS4, so back to 1 then.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's coming out on PS4 as well from what I heard.
Yeah, I literally just realized that because I went looking for the release date.

2 years and 5 months I guess, but personally I think 2020 should have 1.25 multiplier.

Okay now I'm thinking it should be 2 years and 6 months and I am also now doubting my ability to count.
2020 felt like it lasted like a decade in itself so don't feel bad if your count is off.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I guess if there's a Bloodborne 2 exclusive to the PS5 then that will be something but right now there's really nothing compelling me to go hunt down a PS5 and thus I'm more then happy waiting for a year or 3 until there's a couple "Oh, that looks really cool! I guess I can pay out for one now" games out there.
For the longest time I had hope but Sony all but completely shut down Japan Studio so not gonna happen. Their focus seem to be exclusively on mainstream, western AAA games now.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Still kinda salty I need a ps5 to play the Yuffie DLC but at least they put ffviiR on ps+ so I won't have to buy the game twice due to getting a physical LE for ps4. Other than that, the best thing next gen has to offer is a ps3 game's remake lol. (DS)
You know the upgrade is free if you have a physical copy right?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
You know the upgrade is free if you have a physical copy right?
Not sure how that would even work, do you put the ps4 disk on a ps5 and it upgrades it or something?

I don't have a ps5 yet so no idea on such matters.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not sure how that would even work, do you put the ps4 disk on a ps5 and it upgrades it or something?

Pretty much exactly that.

The game doesn't actually run from the disk. It runs from whatever is installed on the PS5's/Xbox's internal SSD.

All the physical disk does these days, is work as the initial installation media, and then acts as the game's DRM.

I would expect there to be some kind of pretty hefty download for the next-gen update, though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Pretty much exactly that.

The game doesn't actually run from the disk. It runs from whatever is installed on the PS5's/Xbox's internal SSD.

All the physical disk does these days, is work as the initial installation media, and then acts as the game's DRM.

I would expect there to be some kind of pretty hefty download for the next-gen update, though.
Yeah the part about the install I figured out the moment I got a ps4 and compared the install of a game's physical and digital versions and found them to be identical, also the sound it makes when the disk spins is very loud during installation but it's super quiet outside that so it's pretty clear it's reading from the hard drive. Just wasn't sure how you'd go about upgrading a ps4 game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Yes, The PS5 will read the disc and then give you an option to install the Ps5 version. You can still install the Ps4 version if you ever need too for some reason as well.

It depends on the game. For example my spider-man read the disc and then offered me the upgrade (because I bought the ps4 disc by accident from amazon). Then it took me to the PSN store and made me "buy" the Ps5 version for $0.00. Once bought the Ps5 version was in my library and I just downloaded and played that. You still need to have the ps4 disc in the system to verify the license though.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I got a PC at the tail end of last generation and I never want to buy a console again, PC's openness and flexibility suits me far more. I'm kicking around the idea of building a new one for next gen, but that's not happening until we get out of The Great GPU Famine.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Nothing really. Just enjoying the games I do have or are coming out on PS4 or Switch. I getting a PS5, because of the bc and I'll be playing games and exclusives worthwhile. Especially the Japanese games. I don't plan on getting a PS5 until 2.5 years later. It's what I did for the PS4, and I got all the time in the world. Most exclusives don't come until mid or late 2022 any way.
Yeah I have no strong drive to get one right now. I did, for a short time last year, when some of the titles they were promoting that looked tasty, like Stray, and Kena Bridge of Spirits, and I was like "ok yeah, I definitely want to play those. let's start saving up spare money from the budget to afford the PS5 later when it releases....oh....global plague....oh...scalpers cornering the market....oh, the titles I want are being pushed back, understandably due to plague....ok well, guess it's back to my usual routine of wait 1 year + for the hype to die down, and the price to drop."

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So far I have yet to register that there really is a next gen. There isn't any exiting launch line up and most games can be played on old hardware too.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I am seriously considering getting a PS5 for my birthday (April 17th) with a scalper :( but the only games that really interest me as of now are only available for pre-order. I really want spider man, ratchet and clank, final fantasy remake, and grand Turismo. I think the only game in those that are currently available is spider man, If I am mistaking please correct me.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am seriously considering getting a PS5 for my birthday (April 17th) with a scalper :( but the only games that really interest me as of now are only available for pre-order. I really want spider man, ratchet and clank, final fantasy remake, and grand Turismo. I think the only game in those that are currently available is spider man, If I am mistaking please correct me.
I mean technically the FF7Remake is available now. So two games. And on monday that new Abe's game is out and free is you get PS+

Reactions: Alienware

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I gotta agree with most in saying next-gen has barely even started and there's no reason to have either of the consoles. If a remake of a PS3 game is the best thing out there in a "genre" of games that have been milked to death already, then that's a pretty shit argument for next-gen. The same thing happened with PS4/Xbone gen too, it wasn't until Dishonored 2 in 2016 that I even gave a PS4 game an 8+/10 and I'm pretty sure that game didn't need better hardware anyway as Dishonored 1 was a PS3 game. The AAA landscape is probably the worst it's ever been so what's the point of getting new hardware when all the good games can be played easily on last-gen systems or on just a Ryzen APU anyway? The most interesting looking new game since next-gen started is Narita Boy for me and it totally doesn't require next-gen hardware to play.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Prettymuch in the same boat as everyone else. I'd struggle to name a game that I'd need the PS5 (Xbox is off the table cause of the controler layout) to play. Godfall looked interesting but came out and looking at it seems dull as dishwater. Most everything else is on PS4 as well and the minor upticks in graphics have never concerned me (Hell I don't even own a 4k TV, and can't tell the diff when I am somewhere with one).

Everything that was properly developed or this gen is probably delayed well and proper by pandemics. So its unlikely the situation is gonna change much. To say nothing of the troubles getting a hold of one.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
I have the same mindset that it seems a lot of other posters have. Nothing really jumps out to me as a reason to need a ps5 right away. The games I want to play all have ps4 releases and as someone who doesn’t really put a premium on super fancy graphics I don’t need those games to look super shiny or anything.

That being said if my PS4 ever craps out I will try to replace it with a PS5, my PS4 is my main steaming platform (heck havn’t even plugged in my cable box for 6 months).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I mean technically the FF7Remake is available now. So two games. And on monday that new Abe's game is out and free is you get PS+
Listen up, I just ordered a 65-inch Samsung tv today with a new a tv stand and all that cost me like near 2000$ and next weekend I am going to start looking on Facebook market place for a PS5 from a dam skalper :( SO If I do manage to get a PS5 disc edition next weekend, guess I'll get Spiderman and Final fantasy remake.