Next-Gen Kinect is Coming to Windows PCs

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Nowhere Man said:
Colt47 said:
Microsoft: Oh, you don't like the Kinect on Xbox One? That's okay! We'll bring the Kinect to the PC!

Windows Users: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo~!

Linux and Mac users point and laugh.
I wouldn't be to surprised if Apple had something up their sleeve too. And this is coming from a Mac user.
I wouldn't worry too much about Apple. They'll just have a version of Hal 9000 that makes use of existing camera set ups.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
devotedsniper said:
Was the original Kinect even usable for anything other than a webcam on pc? I never saw any content for it but either way i wont be buying one and a warning to others theres small print stating once plugged in it can never be removed, you have been warned.
Yeah, people made a lot of amazing stuff using Kinect, from Minecraft mods to letting robots see.
While Kinect on Xbox wasn't very exciting, there was a huge amount of great things people made with its SDK.

I'm actually excited by this news. I have no idea what makes the Kinect 2 better than the first, but I do think it'll spark some really cool things (admittedly, cool things I will never actually use myself, but still ... )

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Interested in the next generation Kinect
WHAHAHAHA, who could possibly be interested in that piece of big brother crap.

Us PC master race have a mouse for precise control. We don't need a motion sensor that only was introduced because you finally figured out your controllers were inferior.

There is no way in hell that thing will enter my house.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
So wait I won't even need the stupid Xbox to get the kinect? Microsoft does understand that exclusivity generates desire for the console,right? So in the small chance that Microsoft creates a good kinect game, I don't even need to buy their console to get it. I like this.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Microsoft makes a console with features no one asked for or wants.

Microsoft tries to make a gadget for PC that no one asked for or wants.

Is this their new business plan?
WE HAVE RUN OUT OF IDEAS TO IMPROVE CONVENIENCE AND INNOVATE AND ARE SEEKING NOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS THAT DO NOT EXIST.

PERFECT STRATEGY!

- Quote from the Microsoft Master Brain

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Oh boy! I'm so tired of the precision of a mouse and the versatility of a keyboard, I can't wait for the flailing, randomness of the Kinect!

Seriously though, the only thing this glorified web cam is good for is dancing games.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Eppy (Bored) said:
The glorious PC Gaming Master Race rejects your worthless motion sensor and Orwellian spy device. Why would I want motion controls? I have more keys than God on this thing.
Not to mention the fact that my friggin mouse has more buttons on it than a controller.

Eppy (Bored) said:
I used to love Microsoft when it was the benevolent, galumphy giant that just crapped out a new OS every few years and called it good. Now it's trying to take over my living room AND my internet space. Games need to introduce Linux compatibility...
I agree. I was really glad when Steam started moving to Linux, but not everyone is there yet. I bet they will be in a couple of years though, from what I've heard from people like Gaben and Notch.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
So wait... they release the Kinect 2 for PC but don't actually bother releasing games on PC... That sure is a interesting business strategy you have there Microsoft.

Also why would a PC gamer want a clumsy ass motion controller when you can use a Mouse+KB or a controller anyway which are all far better?

Bring back Bill Gates, seriously at least that guy had common fucking sense.

rheianna

Mar 23, 2009
Dear Microsoft. Thanks but no thanks. I prefer not being monitored 24/7. My keyboard and mouse get by just fine too.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Zipa said:
So wait... they release the Kinect 2 for PC but don't actually bother releasing games on PC... That sure is a interesting business strategy you have there Microsoft.

Also why would a PC gamer want a clumsy ass motion controller when you can use a Mouse+KB or a controller anyway which are all far better?

Bring back Bill Gates, seriously at least that guy had common fucking sense.
I've watched plenty of coverage from people that have gotten to test the new Kinect out, and it is galaxies away from the clumsy ass stuff of the first Kinect.

Also, I hate to break it too you, but Bill Gates was like the first face they showed in the reveal special video compilation of all the people that are a part of supporting the XBox One.

The man has absolutely no need of money, so that isn't why he appeared in the video, so the only explanation is that he doesn't see anything wrong with what Microsoft is doing with the new XBox or on PC and actually supports it.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I am not interested in your motion control gimmicks Microsoft so this news is rather irrelevant to me.

With Microsoft wanting to get into my living room, too bad, I use a monitor not a TV to play my games. Also, why would I need motion controls when I barely use my controller anyway (there are some exceptions like platformers and Dark Souls). Mouse and Keyboard combo will remain the best combination because of keybindings and precision.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Firstly, this better not lead to 'Windows 9, requires Kinect to operate'

Secondly, I don't really see the practicality of this. Kinect needs space, An X-box is typically in the middle of your living room but your P.C. is usually in an office or study connected to a relatively small monitor which makes standing a few feet away from it rather impractical. Unless they expect people to completely change how they use their computer to accommodate their tech (which is rather ambitious) I don't expect this to be very successful.

The only thing I really see this being used extensively for are new programs or applications such as interfaces for disabled people or robotic controllers or maybe even for interactive ads in public places. It'll end up useful for niche things but not the average computer user.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
Well to add with all the other idea's people have for this thing, why not turn it into a scanner of sorts, i remember someone mentioning real-estate agents using it for 3d environment scanning for business purposes, why not have it be able to scan objects and use that scanned image for 3D modeling, might save some time rather than just creating some 3D objects from scratch (I say some because there are some objects that cannot be scanned, like say a unique dragon design).

So just curious, will this gadget download some type of spy-ware program onto my computer without my knowledge, cause I can't help but feel this thing would hijack my computer and start developing sentience...... to kill all humans.

Captcha: Remain calm...... oh the irony.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
This would be kinda nice. Im just wondering how good it will support other languages then english...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"The glorious PC Gaming Master Race rejects your worthless motion sensor and Orwellian spy device. Why would I want motion controls? I have more keys than God on this thing."
Basically this. i cant think of a situation i would ever ever need a kinect. if i wanted voice commands i already got programs that do that, better.

RatherDull said:
"Windows 9 will require Kinect to function."

Calling it now.
yu know a year ago i woudlhave thught your joking. then windows 8 came out and now i think your not.

Capcha: Wild and woolly
No, im not fuckig goats dam it.

Sonic Doctor said:
Also, I hate to break it too you, but Bill Gates was like the first face they showed in the reveal special video compilation of all the people that are a part of supporting the XBox One.
I guess by now its no secret that Bill Gates is mad. It has helped him in the past, but now it does not seem to apply any longer.