Next Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive

Steroyd

Aug 12, 2014
Square Enix can go kiss my arse.

I'm laying the s**t stain squarely on Square Enix's door on this, I've come to expect Microsoft to throw money at a problem till it sticks and it stuck to Square Enix in this case, it's all been said about the business practices of these big companies, but no, NO, NO, you DO NOT weep to your f**king shareholders saying 3.4 million sales within the 1st month of the first game isn't enough then sign an exclusivity deal for the sequel to a console which we expect to have sold around half as many console's as their competitors as a best case scenario,

I mean if 3.4m isn't enough, then are shareholders commiting suicide to the projections an exclusive to the Xbox One will bring? Did MS compensate enough for SE's unrealistically high expectation for the franchise? Either way it's a whole carnival of stupid and part of me wants to see Square Enix in particular get burned for this.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Yes... For about 6 months, until they realized that the game is not meeting expected sales and releases it on PC.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Congrats on taking away what little interest I had in the next Tomb Raider, Square.

I'll look forward to you bitching about lack of sales in about a year.

MrSir231

Oct 24, 2013
While I hate that Microsoft and Square did this, it does show that Microsoft is trying way harder than they did when they first released the console. Sony needs to step their game up with the PS4. I for one don't mind exclusives so long as they make sense. This one does not, especially given that Tomb Raider has been on Playstation since the beginning.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ya and so was Ryse son of Rome, Dead Rising 2, etc etc. I fully expect a PC release but I honestly don't care. The last tomb raider was pretty shit, so I don't expect the next one to be any better.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sure. Just like TitanFall, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse: Son of Rome. Tomb Raider was already announced for PS4 and PC which means that it was already in development for those systems too. Of course it's a timed exclusive.

A fuckin' sleazy move by Microsoft and Square-Enix. This shit won't make me buy the fuckin' Xbone. Everybody knows that it won't stay exclusive for long. Only a profoundly stupid person would think otherwise. Square-Enix made a pathetic choice accepting Microsoft's pathetic bribe. Fuck them. I'll buy this game when it comes out on PC and only on Steam Sale for like $7.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Can't say I care. Bought Tomb Raider 2013 on a Steam sale and thought it was garbage. A mess of bad storytelling (Laura is a fucking obnoxious moron along with most of the cast), QTEs, 'push a button puzzles', lack-lustre combat with a dull, linear campaign, and pointless upgrades.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
[link]http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28754858[/link]

If my pc can run it (hopefully) I guess there's no sweat off my back, but considering Lara's history it really puts things into perspective, especially since its only immature folks going to war over consoles, and some sites feeding the flames, when in reality all these executives from Sony to MS to Nintendo are all close buddies anyways.

So like BF/CoD are we going to have a 3rd person manufactured media war on top? Naughty Dog vs. Crystal Dynamics? SMH. If they start one, just remember folks its all BS.

These games are all great in different ways, and while I used to strongly believe in exclusives to make consoles stand out, the way this industry is going. Screw it, its another tactic to make people spend more to see what they want to see. Cross platform everything. I used to be console over pc because of accessibility. Now it looks like the tables are turning

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
You know what game won't make me buy an Xbox One?

Tomb Raider.

You know what game I would play on PC, because I enjoyed its previous entry well enough?

Tomb Raider.

And the sales numbers don't lie, either, Tomb Raider 2013 sold far better on Playstation than it did on Xbox, so GG Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics. Thanks for proving to me once again that you don't want my money, it certainly helps me out.
This man speaks wisdom.

Or rather, he speaks my exact thought. Which pretty much comes to the same thing.

Seriously though, I can't imagine what led them to think that this is a good business move.

"Hey guys, you know that sequel we're making to the really expensive game that we only recently admitted was profitable? Yeah, that one. Well, I've been thinking we should massively restrict the potential instal base! Like, cut it down by about 75%. We'll start by making it exclusive to the next-gen console that is being hilariously outsold by the competition!"

"Fuck yes!"

"Let's do this shit!
"

I'm not even mad. I mean, I liked the previous game well enough and I'd like to play this next one at some point, but mostly I'm just flabbergasted that they thought this was a good idea in any way, shape, or form.

Hopefully it's just one of those weaksauce timed exclusive deals.

j4c0b1

Jun 9, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Everybody knows that it won't stay exclusive for long. Only a profoundly stupid person would think otherwise.
This is the games industry, and square-enix in particular it wouldn't surprise me. Their are some supremely stupid people in the industry

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zhukov said:
Seriously though, I can't imagine what led them to think that this is a good business move.
Because it is. It's obviously a timed exclusive. Which means they get the money from Microsoft, they get money from sales, and then when they announce it for PS4 and PC they'll get that money too. Because gamers, as history has shown, are weak willed creatures. Give them a few extra trinkets to play with and they'll forget all about your evil past.

Last game sold twice as much on PS4. God knows how much they sold on the PS3. Which means that Tomb Raider fans are mostly in the other tent. Square-Enix knows that. They know that there's no chance in hell that all of those fans will suddenly form a line to get the Xbone. And I doubt that Microsoft has enough money dedicated to buying exclusive titles to pay them off for more than a timed exclusive. They couldn't even get Dead Rising 3 to stay on the Xbone. How the fuck are they gonna afford Lara freakin' Croft? They're already losing money. This is a desperate move and it's nothing to worry about.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Zhukov said:
Because it is. It's obviously a timed exclusive. Which means they get the money from Microsoft, they get money from sales, and then when they announce it for PS4 and PC they'll get that money too. Because gamers, as history has shown, are weak willed creatures. Give them a few extra trinkets to play with and they'll forget all about your evil past.
"Evil deeds"?

Yeah, if it does turn out to be one of those timed deals then I'm not remotely upset.

I mean, I might have to wait, what 3-6 months? For a game that I might have waited for a price drop on anyway? I'm a big boy, I think I can handle that trauma.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
It's going to be a timed exclusive no doubt, But the good side is, Yay I get a game thats made with the xbone in mind and it'll be done quicker since it isn't coming to at least 5 platforms at the same time.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Let me get this strait. After selling 5 million copies (I know it has sold more now but at the time they said it it was 5) Square Enix declared the game still did not meet sales targets and now they are making the sequal an exclusive to the games console that has achived only hafe the bussiness sucsess of it's main competitor. When you also factor in the fact that Tomb Raider sold better on Playstation than Xbox it makes me ask a very simple question.

Is Square Enix run by retarded monkeys? because if it is that would explain alot.

I only hope that this will turn out to be a timed exclusive because I really enjoyed Tomb Raider and I am never going to buy an Xbone.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
People said Microsoft needed to secure some exclusives to help the Xbox One. Microsoft secures an exclusive title, people lose their shit.

It is baffling.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
kaioshade said:
People said Microsoft needed to secure some exclusives to help the Xbox One. Microsoft secures an exclusive title, people lose their shit.

It is baffling.
People usually mean they get an exclusive by way of a first party studio, or at the least a third party game which will remain exclusive no doubt. Not an "exclusive" that is redoubtably timed.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
kaioshade said:

It is baffling.
People usually mean they get an exclusive by way of a first party studio, or at the least a third party game which will remain exclusive no doubt. Not an "exclusive" that is redoubtably timed.
A lot of people are saying timed exclusivity only because of Ryse and Dead Rising 3. There is no absolute certainty that Tomb Raider will be timed, it may never leave the Xbox One. I could also be dead wrong, no one knows. As risky as the move may be, i think it was an interesting one. I will buy it when it is available. I am fortunate enough to have both consoles.

Since PS4 has the larger market share, i wonder if the vitriol would be as fierce if it was announced as a PS4 exclusive instead?