NFL Caught Discriminating Against Black Players

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

As a kid, I was asked why I never did sports. I was decently tall. Even though as you all know I'm a complete geek, I was into anime so I did martial arts. So I was fairly athletic. And the obvious reason.

Basketball, Football, even soccer. A lot of the higher course level teachers were the coaches, so I had a few offers.

Even as a teen, I never saw the appeal of doing sports for someone else's entertainment. It's my body on the line. It's my health. A two hour game takes up weeks of my life. And I'll be subjected to more judgment than just being a moody teen who was way into Absolutely Fabulous*.

Seeing how a 'career' of this plays out... yeah, I made the right call.

I'm also glad I don't enjoy watching sports because I would hate the NFL even more than I do now.

*"Lacroix, sweety"

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
No way! I can't believe the sport that often uses on race-coded language would take racist actions!

For those who don't follow football much, here's a short intro.

White player (can apply to any position but particularly quarterbacks): 'bring a lunch pail type of guy', 'coach's son', 'student of the game', 'gym rat', 'high football iq', 'not a 9-to-5er', `first one in, last one out', 'deceptively fast', 'more substance than style'

Black player (mostly applies to quarterbacks): 'dual-threat', 'flashy', 'runner not a thrower'

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As a kid, I was asked why I never did sports. I was decently tall. Even though as you all know I'm a complete geek, I was into anime so I did martial arts. So I was fairly athletic. And the obvious reason.

Basketball, Football, even soccer. A lot of the higher course level teachers were the coaches, so I had a few offers.

Even as a teen, I never saw the appeal of doing sports for someone else's entertainment.

Yeah I was never a fan of sports either, though my parents made me participate as a kid, due to my general agility, height and coordination. I actively hated doing them, but my dad wanted me to be some kind of sports hero, so I was pushed into it. I remember, as a kid, it being one of my first memories of a time when "the world doesn't care what you think." I was sitting on the floor, watching cartoons or something after school, and my mom was in a chair behind me. School year was almost done, and summer was coming up, so it was almost time to sign up for baseball. My mom asked me if I wanted to do it. I told her no. And she, matter of factly said "Well, you're doing it anyway." I remember thinking "Well shit, I guess I have no real say in the course of my life." Followed quickly with "Well why the fuck did you even ask me for my opinion if it didn't matter?"

Martial arts was my one physical activity that I enjoyed back then, that was organized at least.

The idea that it's also a "secret" hive of racism and bigotry, as well as just overall shitty dudebro behavior, well, I for one am shocked, absolutely SHOCKED! :p

But yeah, fuck sports. It's a meat grinder for the youth, while milking them for every penny they are worth, and then kicks them out when they are now too old to take the damage, that they now have for life. Not surprising it preys upon the disenfranchised. I think the part I find most disturbing, is how much the US society at least, lionizes those who take part in it, so a lot of minority youth, see it as "a ticket out", but they end up just being meat puppets to make billions for the team/stadium owners.

Nothing I've cared to participate in myself.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I used to hate sports as I saw it as needlessly tribal, but I would rather people do sports than go to war. I would say we need more sports particularly international sports. Let Pakistan, and Inda do Cricket, let Japan, and the US fight over Baseball, South Korea, and the rest of the world with esports, and so on.

Also, the NFL is the least of our problems look at US college sports, and of course FIFA. Much bigger problems indeed.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Yeah, I saw that too all I xan say is that it's really gross, especially doing it over something as important as insurance in a contact sport, but it's hardly surprising, honestly I just wish people stopped pretending systematic racial discrimination isn't a thing when it so very clealy is, it shouldn't really be a debate.