NFL Player kills girlfriend, then self at practice facilty. Game still set for Sunday.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
they could play on sunday and win for their fallen teammate.
I'm not sure I'd want to win anything for a man who murdered his daughter's mother, and I'd be uncomfortable around any man who did.

Or any person who suggested it, for that matter.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Wing Dairu said:
I love the way this story is worded...It just kind of...glosses over the fact that HE MURDERED HIS GIRLFRIEND.
Yah that really bugged the hell out of me in the article. If he wanted to kill himself, fine, but why the hell kill his own girlfriend, especially with a young child. That's the most tragic part of the story - but god forbid we forget about what this means for football.

Ehhhhh the whole mentality around that sport irks me sometimes. Best wishes to all affected by this though.

darklilac

Nov 17, 2012
trty00 said:
darklilac said:
Wing Dairu said:
I love the way this story is worded...It just kind of...glosses over the fact that HE MURDERED HIS GIRLFRIEND.
This.
I care much more about the fact that he murdered his girlfriend and left a baby without a family. I can't even fathom how the game is more important than that.
I don't give a crap what they do with the game, and they sure shouldn't "honor" him. He's a monster.
Might as well go on with the game though, it's just entertainment. The team didn't do it. And he's gone now.
I love how casually you call the guy a "monster" without actually knowing WHY he might have killed her.

And, just to make sure no one thinks otherwise, I'm NOT excusing the mans actions.
Lol. Sorry but killing your girlfriend you have a child with? That makes a monster. There is no excuse for killing someone(unless you are being assaulted and defending yourself). The article states there was a witness, if his girlfriend somehow "deserved it" than I'm sure there will be more covered on it.

He ended up killing himself so really that makes it sound like he knew what he did was wrong.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
All the world's a stage and all that and the vox populi is always shouting for more games and sport.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Wing Dairu said:
Don't you read newspapers? This sort of thing isn't murder, it's a 'family tragedy'.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
LetalisK said:
$5 says that repeated head trauma is linked to this. It's been kind of a big issue in the NFL lately.
It's also what's linked to Chris Benoit killing his wife and kid. The only thing that makes me question it is his age.

Funny how a Pro Wrestler does the same fucking thing, he's vilified and portrayed as a 'roid rage freak, but when a football player does it the country mourns like it lost a national hero.
To be fair, it's only recently that publicity has been given to the brain damage that is caused during athletic events. Before you just sucked it up and moved on until you exploded. I think if Benoit did it now, there would be a similar reaction.

Putting aside pyschological damage...

AN ACTIVE NFL PLAYER JUST MURDERED SOMEONE.

That's not grave enough to post-pone a season by ONE game? like the NFL is going to lose so much money if they have to push back the super bowl a week? A PERSON WAS FUCKING KILLED BY THEIR EMPLOYEE!

Fucking even WWE cancelled it's programing when the Benoit shit happened.
I think the part that should cancel the game, if anything since I think it should ultimately be left up to the team, is the suicide part. Let's say this was just a murder. I think he should have been arrested and the team moves forward without him, basically distancing themselves from him and his actions and trying to send the message that they no longer consider him a part of the team in any way. Though I'd only really stand by this in the case that the murder was provoked by something other than brain damage(ie drug deal gone bad). If it was provoked by brain damage, I would personally want to still play if I were a player, but I would understand if the other players didn't want to.

Edit: Quoting failure, didn't mean to tag you Toaster.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's certainly a difficult situation, but I tend to think what would happen if it were here, and the only time I can think of relatively recently of a team getting a game delayed due to a death was when a Motherwell player (Phil O'Donnell) died on the pitch.

And even then, it was only the team of the player that died that received the delay.

So personally, I would say, play the game.

nexus

May 30, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
As they say "The show must go on"

It is what the victim would have wanted. To go out there and do what he loved rather than sit and mourn his death.
He is not a victim. He is a murderer.

Lots of people talking about "Honoring the Fallen Teammate" by playing and winning.. except um... he murdered someone.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
FelixG said:
He is most likely a victim of a mental disease caused by repeated head trauma.
Why? Lots of people commit murder without head traumas being involved. IIRC, a woman is more likely to be murdered by her husband/boyfriend that anyone else.

FelixG said:
So what? He is dead too.

Why fuck with everyone else just because you know HE WAS A MURDERER? Did the rest of the team plot in killing his girlfriend and him in some cult like conspiracy to get them to the superbowl or some silly shit like that?

No? Then why delay them because of what one ill person did?
Missing the point, I think. It's not whether the team (who, as you say, had nothing to do with it) should or shouldn't win, it's people saying they should win for him as the victim, which he clearly is not.

I don't see why the game should be cancelled. If he'd been injured or killed by a rampaging elephant en route to murder his girlfriend, presumably the game would go on. I'd imagine it'd fuck the team right up knowing that one of them was a murderer, but then very, very often people don't see that sort of thing coming and it's a total surprise.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
they could play on sunday and win for their fallen teammate.
An odd response, considering he murdered his girlfriend first.

It is what the victim would have wanted. To go out there and do what he loved rather than sit and mourn his death.
The fuck is going on? Yours is even worse.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I'm trying to work out a scenario in my mind where I'd want to kill the mother of my child and then myself. The only one I can come up with is one where I find out the kid isn't mine.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
Yes there is, money. Playing on Sunday means big bucks for the team, the NFL, and the Networks, and to not air a game on Sunday means they will lose revenue. There isn't much on on Sundays, which which is one reason football games draw so much ad dollars. If the game were on on a Tuesday, it wouldn't draw the same amount of money. Monday is out of the question because of the fact that they already have Monday night football, which is considered somewhat sacred. In addition, it would also mean screwing of the TV scheduled, with the networks hate.
I just figured the NFL could do the right thing for once and not exclusively be about the money. Swallowing the revenue loss for one Mid-November game between non-playoff teams wouldn't be that big of a deal

Signa said:
My question was rhetorical, but if you're going to quote me, at least try to answer it if it's that stupid of a suggestion to you.
It's not a matter of it being stupid, it's just incredibly insulting. You've probably never read anything about her before, but your first reaction is that she's a gold digger?

ForgottenPr0digy said:
junior seau killed himself yet the Chargers played in his honor
Garrett Reid(andy ried's son) died after drug overdose and Eagles played in his honor
Chris Henry from Bengals died after falling out back of pick up truck and Bengals played his honor Ocho Cinco wanted to wear his jersey to honor him.

We've seen stuff like this but its better to remember the good and not bad of each player.
All three of your examples don't really come that close though. Junior Seau was a former player who died over the offseason, and Garrett Reid, while probably being close to the team wasn't an actual player.

The closest one is Chris Henry, but even then the Bengals had a 4 day break from his accident to their first game

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Does anyone else feel it's incredibly disrespectful not only to the victim (girlfriend), but to this man's fellow team mates to continue on with the rest of the season, let alone play a game SUNDAY?

I mean this is someone who's fellow team mates played with him, probably joked around with, formed friendships with. There is probably some deep fucked psychological issues from this, especially from the players that watched him kill himself.... but then to have the audacity of saying "Well we can't reschedule the game... cause, ya know, FOOTBALL!"

Like really... Fuck the NFL. Anyone with commonsense would cancel the game, god forbid real life effect the timing of the damn super bowl.
Dude. Chill. How is it disrespectful?

I am from Kansas City, and I was at that game. At the beginning of the game, they talked about the what happened and held a moment of silence for all those who have been affected by domestic abuse and by this tragedy. It was very well done and respectful.
Hey [user]Apollo45[/user], thought you'd like to know about what they ended up doing at the game. I forget if they're doing anything specifically for the kid.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Prosis said:
First off, the title of this thread is misleading. They haven't decided whether to hold the game or not yet. They're still debating it.
Just so you know, the game happened. At the beginning of the game, they talked about the what happened and held a moment of silence for all those who have been affected by domestic abuse and by this tragedy. It was very well done and respectful.

mysecondlife said:
I hate the Chiefs (Raiders fan here)
GRR and stuff! *shakes fist*

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Lionsfan said:
Signa said:
My question was rhetorical, but if you're going to quote me, at least try to answer it if it's that stupid of a suggestion to you.
It's not a matter of it being stupid, it's just incredibly insulting. You've probably never read anything about her before, but your first reaction is that she's a gold digger?
So you're taking issue with the fact that I'm jumping to a less than flattering assumption. Ok, I can understand that. But have you read anything on her either? Here's what I know: She was murdered by her boyfriend. That right there sends red flags up to me, because it means she was more concerned for something about her boy friend than his personality. A person doesn't usually just murder someone in front of their parents without sending up some of their own red flags that she would have had to ignored. I don't buy for a minute that this was the first time he displayed any violent tendencies. If she had any sense about her, she would have broken it off the moment those signs showed. I don't know if it was actually money that she was interested in, but something overrode that common sense in her, and money is a good place to start pointing fingers. I'd be glad to be wrong on this, because besmirching her name is hardly my agenda, but I see patterns in situations like this, and money is the most likely answer with the facts as they are shown to me.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
nexus said:

He is not a victim. He is a murderer.

Lots of people talking about "Honoring the Fallen Teammate" by playing and winning.. except um... he murdered someone.
I don't know much about the case, but if it was a crime of passion, it isn't nearly the same as if he PLANNED to murder his girlfriend.

Just because he committed a crime doesn't (necessarily) mean that he isn't a victim too. He clearly had a lot going through his head if he thanked his coach personally before killing himself.

Hell, it was probably accidental. I'd imagine most cases just like this are accidental killings, or at least unintentional ones. Imagine accidentally killing someone in the middle of an argument, and then knowing that you'll be in prison for the rest of your life...

I'd say that the fact that he committed suicide means there was more going on then just "guy kills girl, then himself, because evil."

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Does anyone else feel it's incredibly disrespectful not only to the victim (girlfriend), but to this man's fellow team mates to continue on with the rest of the season, let alone play a game SUNDAY?

I mean this is someone who's fellow team mates played with him, probably joked around with, formed friendships with. There is probably some deep fucked psychological issues from this, especially from the players that watched him kill himself.... but then to have the audacity of saying "Well we can't reschedule the game... cause, ya know, FOOTBALL!"

Like really... Fuck the NFL. Anyone with commonsense would cancel the game, god forbid real life effect the timing of the damn super bowl.
Dude. Chill. How is it disrespectful?

I am from Kansas City, and I was at that game. At the beginning of the game, they talked about the what happened and held a moment of silence for all those who have been affected by domestic abuse and by this tragedy. It was very well done and respectful.
Hey [user]Apollo45[/user], thought you'd like to know about what they ended up doing at the game. I forget if they're doing anything specifically for the kid.
I've since calmed down about it.

It just bugs me, a people were freaking killed here but the big wheels of the machine keep turning with pure indifference. Superbowl is too big for any one tragedy to stop.

It just seems sick to me to say, "yeah it's a tragedy and were all really fucked up about but... ya know, MONEY! FOOTBALL!" Which it is.