NFT scammers use dead Stan Lee's Twitter account to promote New NFT

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Raises an interesting point, who inherits a social media account?

But yeah, c'mon, don't be doing that.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
NFTs are financial scams, if you have money to burn, and I mean real money to burn; you buy modern art made by a well-connected artist. Not NFTs.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Blockchain is a solution to the problem of scarcity. Meaning that the supporters of it want to inject scarcity into a space without it for the dumbest reasons and outcomes.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Blockchain is a solution to the problem of scarcity. Meaning that the supporters of it want to inject scarcity into a space without it for the dumbest reasons and outcomes.
The people selling them are profiteers looking to scam a fortune out of a new and very-poorly-understood system; the people buying them want a feeling of exclusivity in a realm where what they "own" can for all intents and purposes be perfectly copied infinitely.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The people selling them are profiteers looking to scam a fortune out of a new and very-poorly-understood system; the people buying them want a feeling of exclusivity in a realm where what they "own" can for all intents and purposes be perfectly copied infinitely.
I still don't get why anyone thinks an NFT is exclusive. Its a digital timestamp. It can be copied, and that just makes it not exclusive. I know in the NFT culture they call it right clicking, but its not wrong. It really is copying and pasting a digital picture or document. There is no inherent value in any of it, and the only exclusivity is people pinkie pie promising its exclusive.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
This is up there with the fucks that were trying to sell George Floyd NFTs. Like for all the shit I am seen on Twitter that is the first time I had to flag someone.

I also join in the chorus of saying fuck these ghouls

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure NFTs are just a new money laundering scheme.
I saw some guy sell about $70 million of his art via NFTs.

As far as I can see, he's not even a good artist. It's got some atmosphere, but struck me as fundamentally banal. Seems to me more like the sort of art you go to a local gallery where they showcase some local amateurs for a few hundred/thousand apiece.

I'm pretty sure NFTs are actually more like a stock bubble. They're boosted with hype and FOMO, people have got in there quick to crest the wave, and eventually people are going to realise they've bought nothing but some 0s and 1s on a blockchain that means the sum total of fuck all.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
NFTs are hilariously awful in so many ways.

1) competing services meaning people can and will just upload NFTs to other services to sell NFTs others supposedly "Own"
2) The entire worth of an NFT is the perception of market value so the truly up there scammers mint an NFT and put it for sale for $200,000. They then buy it with $200,000 in crypto currency. They pay the ~10% sales commission of $20K an now their NFT has been recorded as selling for $200,000 really only costing them $20K to do so and then they just sell the NFT for $80K paying $8K fees out and against they've sold it and covered costs they've just made off with $50K or more.
3) There's no ownership rights with them, none at all. You just own a certificate saying "I paid for this certificate saying I gave money toward this piece of art"

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
NFTs are hilariously awful in so many ways.

1) competing services meaning people can and will just upload NFTs to other services to sell NFTs others supposedly "Own"
2) The entire worth of an NFT is the perception of market value so the truly up there scammers mint an NFT and put it for sale for $200,000. They then buy it with $200,000 in crypto currency. They pay the ~10% sales commission of $20K an now their NFT has been recorded as selling for $200,000 really only costing them $20K to do so and then they just sell the NFT for $80K paying $8K fees out and against they've sold it and covered costs they've just made off with $50K or more.
3) There's no ownership rights with them, none at all. You just own a certificate saying "I paid for this certificate saying I gave money toward this piece of art"
I've heard owning NFTs described as owning the certificate of authenticity to a rolex.

When combined with a physical good being authenticated the certificate is worth money, and the physical good is worth less without the certificate, however the certificate itself is worth nothing without the physical good it corresponds to.

NFTs are like the certificate without a physical good. It's like owning the certificate for a rolex without actually owning a rolex, but trying to convince everyone else that you do. After all, why would you have the certificate for a rolex that you don't own?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
“Thank you. Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich. [...]

"But we have also," continued the management consultant, "run into a small inflation problem on account of the high level of leaf availability, which means that, I gather, the current going rate has something like three deciduous forests buying on ship's peanut." [...]

"So in order to obviate this problem," he continued, "and effectively revalue the leaf, we are about to embark on a massive defoliation campaign, and...er, burn down all the forests. I think you'll all agree that's a sensible move under the circumstances.”
Just Douglas Adams parodying NFTs in 1996

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble