Nice Splice

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Jaredin said:
Shame the director of cube couldn't come up with the same gold he did previously...

A good attempt, but, that's all it was
QFT! I just wanted to say the same. The Cube was something different, but this Splice seems like an idea that has been washed and tumble-dried a hundred times...

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Awesome filmmaker is awesome.

I must find this film in a cinema nearby! I'm very exited for it now.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
Hearing that this is from the same guy that did Cube isn't a mark of favor in my book, but Bob's review makes the movie sound worth watching nonetheless.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
If there is one thing I can't stand about MovieBob is the fact that he hates on the whole "God" thing so much. Obviously they were conscious about not involving God in the story or else he, more likely than not, would've been involved in it.

Not everyone thinks that God is exactly a cop-out in stories. I particularly don't care either way.

Other than that, I enjoyed the interview.

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
I'm on the fence with a picket prong up my arse about this whole "playing God" and tampering with genetics thing as I haven't seen anything terribly good or bad come from it quite yet. So, I'll watch this movie and wonder...

Oh, and to the first question: I totally would.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I just saw this movie and I must, I enjoyed it very much. But it is not a movie for everyone. I recommend it if you are open minded about some fuck up stuff.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
An interesting interview. I think I'd just spend my whole time being morally outraged by the permise of 'splicing' human DNA with animal DNA to appricitate the film some how. (No prizes for guessing that I'm not going to see this film). But if hard Sci-Fi is getting a look in in the mainsteam film market that's all to the good.

nadesico33

It's tragically delicious!
Mar 10, 2010
solidstatemind said:
MovieBob said:
He was especially eager to talk about the "science part"; as a result, I've actually had to omit a few passages where we literally ceased talking about the movie and instead just mutually geeked out over a shared fascination with newsworthy biotech minutia.
Bob, any chance you could post what you omitted someplace? Maybe here in the comments? I'd love to read that, because, to be honest, you kind of lost me with the 'awakening junk genes' explanation: it is my understanding that the current thinking on the subject is still that those junk genes are just leftovers, and don't- couldn't- actually code for any functional proteins anymore; they're junk because they were rendered useless through mutation.

Of course, my knowledge is somewhat dated (a lot has happened in genetic science in the 15 years since I took my last graduate seminar), and I'm sure Mr. Natali consulted with experts in the field, so it'd be great to get the gory details of your conversation with him about it.
Agreed.

I'm actually curious about the gender-change occurences and how possible they are. I realize some organisms are capable of it, but my (admittedly limited) knowledge keeps with the idea that, when it does, it only occurs in single-gender populations. The things in the film aren't in that kind of environment though. Would this be attributed to the "junk-gene" explanation, faulty work by the scientists, or something else?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
For me, I'm all the way for stem cell research and genetics and what not. I don't remember reading anywhere in the bible that it said man can't alter DNA in any way shape or form. I just don't see why so many people are against it. Oh, and for the question: Oh I would hit it.... with a bolter pistol and chainsword.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
Oh, I brought a date, Movie Bob :)

This film rocked my world. I went into it knowing virtually nothing about it besides a trailer I only half-remembered. It didn't click with me what we were seeing until I was shown the movie poster after we bought the tickets. I expected some vapid, jump-scare creature-feature full of nonsense "soft science" and focused fully on over the top gore and special effects. What I got was a smart, subtle, and deeply disturbing venture into the depth of the human psyche, featuring a creature so well done that I found it simultaneously attractive and repulsive. Dren was so familiar to me yet so alien that I was on edge whenever she was on screen. "Discomforting" is the proper word for it. Deeply discomforting. You didn't know what she would do, how she would react, and her seeming humanity only made me distrust her all the more.

Out of everything in theaters this summer, this is the best yet.

Nemu said:
I actually didn't know that this was made by the director of Cube--a movie that I loved.

This one, however, just makes me uncomfortable, and not in a good way.

Not sure if I'll see it, but I AM more interested in it than I was as I'd written it off as yet another gorefest flick, but TY for the interview with him all the same! :D
Its not supposed too. Its supposed to make you uncomfortable on a level where your brain tells you "get out. This is very, very wrong." The whole thing feels twisted and dangerous.

Neumanoid

Jun 17, 2009
As a genetics major working in the field it's good to know that we aren't always portrayed as the demonish, forgetful, idiots the media and the zealots would make us out to be. Briliant movie with a great cast, can't wait to see it in... 2 months time when it comes out in Australia *sigh*

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Gotta say, Bob, I loved the movie. I wouldn't have seen it without your recommendation. Further than that, I loved the aspect that the whole moral choice of "do we have the right to play with god's design?" came up once, and was promptly dismissed with a resounding "yes, because he also gave us the ability to change his work". Moreso, I liked the metaphor of humanity in the monster and the monster in humanity. Very symbolic of that equality. Also, the development of the parental role, and the changing of focus as Dren matures from Elsa to Clive as a representation of the changing dynamic of humanity was very well laid out. A most excellent recommendation, man. Thanks.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
MovieBob...I love ya but you f'd up on this one. Splice was a boring, drawn out, overly predictable, and somewhat lame movie. Yes it was better than Species and yes I would've done the same as Adrien Brody but for the love of god would someone make characters that are believable or make sense? You nailed it when you said we know who wears the lab coat but there wasn't a man in sight in this flick...well at least until the end and we both know what I'm talking about there...ha ha.

I can't say that I saw the humanty/monster thing any more than I saw the Loch Ness monster in this film. What I did see were the beginnings of good sci-fi weighed down by the dredges of a Hollywood film. Had this been an indy film I think there may have been several iterations of Dren, a real lack of morality, and maybe just maybe some real substance. I'm not sorry I paid to see it, I'm just sorry you said it was good.

That's my $.02

Djed Moros

Jun 7, 2010
Thank you for the interview, Bob. I just returned from the theater and had quite the discussion on the way back. Usually, this is a good thing; this time it's a bit different.

I actually appreciate a movie that leaves something behind, even if it's discomfort. It shows me that the movie stirred something inside. "Splice" definitely succeeded in that matter. Still, ultimately the experience was ruined for me because of those completely botched last twenty minutes.
What the hell happened there?
We actually had a lively discussion whether it was a studio decision or they actually swapped the director. Those last twenty minutes felt like a full turn on everything they created beforehand. They did such a good job navigating around all the cliché-laden booby traps left behind by all those films who took the turn down Slasher Road just to arrive at ... this? I dunno, this is one of those times when I feel that the original script must have been horribly betrayed.

This is even more disappointing since the rest of the movie was indeed really, really good. It would have been truly masterful if it had ended just the moment the shovel hit the earth. Darn.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Great interview and FANTASTIC film. Very good, though I saw all the twists ahead of time, I still loved every second of it and where it dared to go. Ballsy is a word I would definitely use to describe it :)

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
Is it bad that I originally planned a date to go see a scary movie?
And chose splice?
Needless to say, it was awkward. Well, it would have been, but instead we went to see Toy Story 3 in 3D!
*Fist Pump*

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
I'm glad that this isn't a 'troll teh science!' type of film. As for a this year's District 9, I'm not entirely sold. However, it is good to know that some filmmakers acknowledge that the problem with science is human reactions and decisions after after we have messed around in GOD'S DOMAIN.