Nickelodeon Resurrecting Legends of the Hidden Temple as a TV Movie

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Nickelodeon Resurrecting Legends of the Hidden Temple as a TV Movie

As part of Nickelodeon's ongoing '90's revival, Legends of the Hidden Temple will be coming back, but not in the format you might expect.

Not content with being the most frustrating game show in human history, it looks like Nickelodeon's Legends of the Hidden Temple will be returning to the mainstream...as a TV movie.

According to Variety [http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/nickelodeon-legends-of-the-hidden-temple-hey-arnold-2016-tv-upfront-1201719422/], the popular kids network will be rebooting their highly-popular but short-lived game show, which ran from 1993 to 1995, as a TV movie starring Isabela Monae from Nick's 100 Things To Do Before High School.

In Hidden Temple, three siblings must conquer a series of obstacles to remain alive, mirroring the theme of the original game show. The TV movie, slated to appear in the fourth quarter of 2016, will nod to other elements from the original show, including Olmec, a talking head who knows the secrets behind the temple; The Steps of Knowledge, the entrance to the temple and launching pad for the mission; and cameos from a green monkey, red jaguar, and silver snakes, among others.

The move comes as part of a massive underhauling by Nickelodeon to revamp many of its popular 90's programs. In addition to a Legends of the Hidden Temple TV movie, the network has also an entire programming block [http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/hey-arnold-tv-movie-nickelodeon-reviving-shows-1201646666/] dedicated solely to reruns of programs like Clarissa Explains It All, Kenan & Kel, and The Angry Beavers.

So basically, if Fuller House hadn't already oversatiated your thirst for nostalgia, Nickelodeon will have you covered. Now if only they could bring back Double Dare...

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/nickelodeon-legends-of-the-hidden-temple-hey-arnold-2016-tv-upfront-1201719422/]

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I don't know if I'm intrigued at the potential trail of thought behind this idea or if I want to suggest that Nick takes itself behind the studio to end its suffering.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
I have never seen a headline kneecapped so hard by the last few words.

...as a TV movie.
Oh man, that one hurts. Nickelodeon has made like two good made-for-TV-movies. I really don't have high hopes. Here's hoping they eventually just straight-up reboot it as a gameshow again. I used to love all the old Nick gameshows. Legends of the Hidden Temple, Family Double-Dare, Nick Arcade, Nickelodeon Gutz. Man, those were goodtimes growing up.

Also, the Silver Snakes were the best team and I'll fight anyone who says different.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Gosh dang it, Nickelodeon! Why? Why bring it back like this?! This is going to be terrible! And I loved LotHT when Nickelodeon GaS existed.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
The movie has to end with no one able to solve a simple three piece puzzle involving a spraypainted fibreglass monkey statue. And then everyone dies as the temple guards get them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQvzoY9SaQY

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
I enjoyed the show as a kid, but I really can't see myself enjoy a TV movie starring children. The nostalgia-movie has potential in-general, but the older and more unknown the franchise, the more difficult of a sell it will be to the younger audience who did not watch the original product and who have no feelings towards it. It's the difference between Ninja Turtles and Godzilla (as we've seen multiple new bodies of work continuing from each franchise and reaching newer generations), and Jem and the Holograms, which had to rely on a very select audience to hype it. The danger lies behind altering the original feel and look of the show without alienating the older audience (as Jem did), because the risk of the property not being liked a younger audience is rather high.

I think it will likely emote a "meh" from children today, and a "no" to "meh" from the adults who grew up with the show. Now if they were bringing back the show, I'd be ecstatic.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
THE CHOICES ARE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE!

I don't know what to make of this. It's like if they turned DoubleDare into a live action TV series. I don't see how the two things relate.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
rcs619 said:
I have never seen a headline kneecapped so hard by the last few words.

...as a TV movie.
Oh man, that one hurts. Nickelodeon has made like two good made-for-TV-movies. I really don't have high hopes. Here's hoping they eventually just straight-up reboot it as a gameshow again. I used to love all the old Nick gameshows. Legends of the Hidden Temple, Family Double-Dare, Nick Arcade, Nickelodeon Gutz. Man, those were goodtimes growing up.

Also, the Silver Snakes were the best team and I'll fight anyone who says different.
I'd second a return of Gutz. The Aggro Crag was a freaking BEAST man!

Nov 28, 2007
I..I just...I can't, sorry. Words cannot describe how I feel about this. Castle, your input?

Yeah, I think that about sums it up, for me.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
...a TV movie.

Jesus bouncing on a waterbed, Nickelodeon- you could've announced that you were bringing it back as a butter sculpture and that would make more sense!

Are we just... out of ideas, as a society? Are we trapped in an endless loop of nonsensical reboots?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
I'd second a return of Gutz. The Aggro Crag was a freaking BEAST man!
DO, DO, DO YA HAVE IT!

I won't lie, I came in here almost exclusively to make that joke.
Anyway.
Mm, I don't really have an opinion on this, I'll probably see it anyway.
What do you bet there's going to be a half-hour scene spent exclusively trying to assemble the Silver-

Gildedtongue said:
The movie has to end with no one able to solve a simple three piece puzzle involving a spraypainted fibreglass monkey statue. And then everyone dies as the temple guards get them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQvzoY9SaQY
You bastard, *I* was gonna make that joke!
Seriously though, maybe those kids are younger than I thought or maybe it's harder than it looks but why does everybody fail at the Silver Monkey?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
rcs619 said:
Pffft, Green Monkeys were the best.

1: They're green.
2: They're monkeys.

I rest my case.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
I'd rather the game show itself gets rebooted and makes a return. I loved watching it at a kid.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh man, my brother and I dreamed of being on that show when we were kids! Loved it!

Um...not sure about the whole movie idea though. That's...that's kind of like making a movie out of Battleship is seems. Can we get "My Life As A Teenage Robot" back instead?

Nov 28, 2007
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh man, my brother and I dreamed of being on that show when we were kids! Loved it!

Um...not sure about the whole movie idea though. That's...that's kind of like making a movie out of Battleship is seems. Can we get "My Life As A Teenage Robot" back instead?
\

Holy crap, someone else who remembers that show! IIRC, it was a victim of the "65 episode" curse.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
thebobmaster said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

\

Holy crap, someone else who remembers that show! IIRC, it was a victim of the "65 episode" curse.
I loved this show more than Double Dare 2000.

Anyway.

I assume what they mean by TV movie is that basically they are gonna turn it into Raiders of the Lost Ark, "Kidz edition"

Were its a completely in-universe story where these Explorers in the South America found the Temple and met Olmec.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Will it also include puzzles and traps purposely designed in such a way that an average size 10 year old can't complete them?