Nickelodeon's TMNT: Are they going to address that Donatello and April can't be together?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I've only been casually watching this series since I first watched it (didn't even know about it, my nephew just suddenly became a turtle fan)

So... they gave Donatello a really creepy crush on April. Like neck beard nice guy kinda crush. From what I've seen anyway, it's completely unrequited and creepy and April never addresses it.

They can't possibly have these two characters ever be together, right?

I mean sure, consenting adults and all that, but he's a fucking TURTLE.

This show is clearly in need of a little Adventure Time style real romance.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The day I see those two being together is the day when Spike and Rarity are also together.

Ok serious answer, I see it more as maybe Donatello learning to let it go seeing how they are possibly going the same route as the 2003 version as in April will probably hitch with Casey at the end.

Also technically April is mutant in the new show per say, well being genetically made by the Kraang but none the less she is human apperance wise.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I may be remembering things wrong, but I do recall there being a bit of a suggested romantic angle in the first TMNT live action movie as well.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Hey it could work out. Elisa Maza had no problem with being in love with Goliath the Gargoyle and vice versa. If a human and a flying statue can fall in love then I see no reason why a turtle and a mutant girl can.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
They pulled Liz and Hellboy fairly well, I always thought they looked cute together.

It's not a human-anthro relationship problem per se, I just think the turtles look fucking stupid in the movie.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
They pulled Liz and Hellboy fairly well, I always thought they looked cute together.

It's not a human-anthro relationship problem per se, I just think the turtles look fucking stupid in the movie.
Dalek Caan said:
Hey it could work out. Elisa Maza had no problem with being in love with Goliath the Gargoyle and vice versa. If a human and a flying statue can fall in love then I see no reason why a turtle and a mutant girl can.
My problem with it and not those, is because both of the characters you guys listed are Mythical beings. Like an angel.

Donatello is a mutated Turtle. He's a BEAST and animal. It would be like a relationship between a human and a my little pony.

and that well... Look I like to think I'm a pretty liberal dude but theres a line and bestiality is it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:
My problem with it and not those, is because both of the characters you guys listed are Mythical beings. Like an angel.

Donatello is a mutated Turtle. He's a BEAST and animal. It would be like a relationship between a human and a my little pony.

and that well... Look I like to think I'm a pretty liberal dude but theres a line and bestiality is it.
Weren't the turtles aliens in the new movie?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:

mythical being with Horns and possibly a tail is somehow totally different to a anthromorphic turtle?

and here I was thinking the message might be that somtimes "people just want to be freinds?"....silly me
Johnny Novgorod said:

there wasn't actually a romance between them in the original comic was there? blegh....hollywood...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vault101 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

there wasn't actually a romance between them in the original comic was there? blegh....hollywood...
Yup, in the movies they hit it off and

she's pregnant with twins by the end of the second one. Is that spoiler-worthy?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
delta4062 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:

Nope, they changed that awhile ago also he's talking about the Nickelodeon show.
Does the human-anthro romantic subplot in Ted count in that case? Or the Little family adopting a mouse as their son? I dunno you don't have to make a big deal about race if you don't want to.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
delta4062 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
delta4062 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:

Nope, they changed that awhile ago also he's talking about the Nickelodeon show.
Does the human-anthro romantic subplot in Ted count in that case? Or the Little family adopting a mouse as their son? I dunno you don't have to make a big deal about race if you don't want to.
I don't see the point in asking me, I was simply correcting you on what TMNT the OP was on about.
Replies got mixed :p Anyway the "you" in the phrase was more of a hypothetical figuration.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Vault101 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

mythical being with Horns and possibly a tail is somehow totally different to a anthromorphic turtle?

and here I was thinking the message might be that somtimes "people just want to be freinds?"....silly me
Well that too.

I get kinda annoyed when I look at all the kids show I watched and how they portrayed relationships, because a lot of how expected things to be came from that and haaaaaaa obviously didn't go so well. That's why I like Adventure Time showing real relationships and how a person is suppose to deal with breaking up and stuff not working out.

And I think it's fair enough. I mean what are the chances April is one of those people that would be up for finding a anthropomorphic turtle sexually attractive? Baboom, theres your listens to teach to kids yo. A situation where, hey, it's really not Donny's fault, he's good guy she's simply not attracted to him. That's real, kids (especially little boys) gotta learn that.

Also, look Vault I'm aware I'm arguing absurdities here, but in my mind theres a world of difference in being willing to sleep with a Demon/Angel/Elf/whatever and being willing to sleep with something that, if it wasn't for some chemical Ooze, probably would of content to live out it's days in a 1st grade classroom munching on lettuce.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
delta4062 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:

I'd say Ted's case is different. He's a stuffed animal. He doesn't have a penis, so any sex with him is basically going to be glorified masturbation.

EDIT: Stuart Little isn't a romantic connection, it's a platonic one. This doesn't seem like a stretch at all. In nature sometimes some animal adopts the baby of another species. Gorilla's raising kittens, hell just read about an elephant matriarch to a heard of Buffalo.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:

Its not Bestiality, that would be with a non-sentient creature. This is xenophilia as their both sentient organisms. Just because he has turtle DNA doesn't make it bestiality since he has a developed brain like Humans.

As for it being weird yea I agree with ya there, I remember a few clips and the relationship is heavily one sided from what I remember.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Orks da best said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:

Its not Bestiality, that would be with a non-sentient creature. This is xenophilia as their both sentient organisms. Just because he has turtle DNA doesn't make it bestiality since he has a developed brain like Humans.

As for it being weird yea I agree with ya there, I remember a few clips and the relationship is heavily one sided from what I remember.
Fair enough, bestiality isn't the right word. They can both consent.

Someone on Twitter said to me "Well she's the first human girl they've ever seen" to which I responded "Totally doesn't make it any less creepy!"

In one episode, Donny knows the how far away they are from April's to the mile. Thankfully his brothers call him out on it being creepy, but it's still creepy. He's totally the guy thats going to blow up if she ever tells him no...

Someone said Leo's crush on Karai was more creepy, but I haven't gotten to binge watching the show yet.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:

uughhh REALLY?....I know I'm showing my bia's here but it irritates me when they neuter a female charachter with "Babez"
SaneAmongInsane said:
Also, look Vault I'm aware I'm arguing absurdities here, but in my mind theres a world of difference in being willing to sleep with a Demon/Angel/Elf/whatever and being willing to sleep with something that, if it wasn't for some chemical Ooze, probably would of content to live out it's days in a 1st grade classroom munching on lettuce.
but but but but but but but but but but....

...you know BOTH are essentially based in Beastiality? or as somone above pointed out Xenophelia...like those ancient (greek? roman?) wet nursed by a wolf or (I totally forgot their name even though I know it) the half man/half hoarse things...you know in mythology they rape a lot...[sub/]actually theres this interpretation that in Harry potter Umbridge got raped by them[/sub]

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
delta4062 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Dalek Caan said:

I'd say Ted's case is different. He's a stuffed animal. He doesn't have a penis, so any sex with him is basically going to be glorified masturbation.
Is that supposed to make it any less awkward? A teenage mutant ninja turtle is weird but a magically alive stuffed creature is ok? He does have sex with (lots of) women in the film. Movie just doesn't go into particulars. Family Guy does this a LOT with Brian as well. I know it's played mostly for laughs but... what I'm saying is, if you want April to date a ninja turtle, you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vault101 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

uughhh REALLY?....I know I'm showing my bia's here but it irritates me when they neuter a female charachter with "Babez"
The pregnancy doesn't really get in the way of anything she can and will do in the movie, it's just a footnote at the end of it.