Nicolas Flamel, Immortality and the Philosopher's Stone

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
effilctar said:
Adaephon Delat said:
I was under the impression that the philosopher's stone turned metals into gold.
It's multi-purpose. the most know purpose is the transmutation of metals, but when combined with the power of the Elixir of Life, it can grant prolonged life.
I thought it was a metaphor for the ultimate knowledge?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
effilctar said:
What do you think of the story then? I'm sceptic, but to be honest, I would sooner believe that a man achieved prolonged life through science, than the theory of Creationism.
I believe neither, to be honest. Alchemy was a bunch of superstition, too.

But I like that Rowling made all kinds of references to actual legends and researched this stuff to work it into her stories. Gives her books a kind of... depth I didn't realize they had before.

AC1izm

Sep 10, 2009
i think it's possible & would be more believable if we used the unknown percentage of the brain we don't/can't(whatever) use, in my opinion ofcourse

Goatlemon

Jan 15, 2009
Haunted Serenity said:
how many games and movies are based on myth and fairy tales. One can assume that the human imagination has to create ideas for them right? "What ifs" should be talked about so people can see if it's real or not.
I never said there is no use for fairy tales, just that they should be recognised as such and kept where they belong; in the fiction section of the book store.

This story is just a fairy tale for adults. Nothing more.