Nier: Automata Impressions

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
So I'm sorry guys, I have a family emergency this weekend and I was not able to put in enough time to fully review Nier: Automata for you this week. But I did play enough to give you guys some early impressions of the game.

For reference I got about 3 hours into the game, defeated three bosses, and collected a bunch of random items and upgrades. Also I played this on PC, so some things don't count on the PS4 version.

So the first thing I noticed is the jarring nature of the game. The game's optimization is wonky to say the least. Gameplay is buttery smooth at 60fps, yet the cutscenes are not only capped at 30fps they seem to struggle with that. I was getting cut scenes barely hitting 20 fps and it really hurt my experience with the story so far as the jarring nature of it took me right out of the game. This isn't my system either as the 60 fps gameplay sections never falter, I never end got a slight 59.9 dip. So the struggle to run the cut scenes is clearly a problem with the game and not the system running it.

That being said the graphics confuse the fucking hell out of me. I mean our female robot character 2B is beautifully rendered and full of detail from her looks, to her animations. She moves through the world like a hot knife through butter, it's wonderful. Combat animations are badass, even her idle animations are full of life, which is weird because she isn't...alive. The world and the enemies so far are just horrible though. While the textures of the boring grey robots and boring grey metal industrial areas, ruined cities, and empty deserts are very good textures....it's still just a bunch of boring, uninteresting areas and enemies.

Combat is also not what I expected from a Platinum game. I went into Nier expecting a Bayonetta freakshow of awesomeness with robot parts flying all over the place. What I got, was a much slower game than I expected. Melee combat seems much more focused on whiff punishing than the brutal offense of other games from the developer. 2B takes a LOT of damage when she is hit, even on normal. And her best method of combat is to time your dodges to trigger counter attack combos on enemies. You also have a robot that will fire in the direction your character is facing so long as you hold down the button for it.

Which leads me to the controls. Let me start by saying I always play games for review using the default control scheme. I want to play the game the way the developers thought it best laid out to play. Yet someone over there at Platinum made the choice of putting the ever-important dodge button on the Right Trigger. In a game like this dodging needs to be a lightning fast reflex, and the right trigger is not only unintuitive but also the slowest button on the controller to push. I can't tell you how much damage I've taken because I'm trying to dodge using a button that makes more sense like "B".

Overall it isn't a bad game though, it is just different from what I expected. The game loves to shift perspectives from 3rd person action game, to side scroller, to bullet hell, to twin stick shooter, and maybe that's the problem. Nier is a game trying to do SOOO much, that it doesn't do any of the things particularly well so far.

As it stands I'm a little bit put off on Nier. But I'll continue through to get a better view of the title as a whole. I just wanted to get something up for you guys who love listening to be ***** about games.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Bayonetta also had dodge on the right trigger.

Looking forward to try Nier myself later today.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
beat the desert level and the "boring" areas end, you are literally at the start of the game, as for the frame rate, idk I played on PS4 with no issues maybe optimize your card for the game? Get new video card? IDK PC isn't something I'm knowledgeable in.

as for the game itself yes the game is incredible and the action is top notch, the enemy designs while simplistic go very well with the overall story.
Are you familiar with the Drakengard series or the previous Nier? While not necessary it helps flesh out the story.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
GZGoten said:
beat the desert level and the "boring" areas end, you are literally at the start of the game, as for the frame rate, idk I played on PS4 with no issues maybe optimize your card for the game? Get new video card? IDK PC isn't something I'm knowledgeable in.

as for the game itself yes the game is incredible and the action is top notch, the enemy designs while simplistic go very well with the overall story.
Are you familiar with the Drakengard series or the previous Nier? While not necessary it helps flesh out the story.
I have a GTX 1070 8gb card. It isn't my system. The cut scene frame rates are a widely reported issue. PS4 is locked to 30 fps so it wont be noticable there.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm having so much fun with Automata. I'm 11 hours in and let's just say that the City Ruins are the least interesting environment in the game. I still can't get over the Amusement Park and how creepy yet charming it is. They do go places with the simplistic enemy designs later, you're literally at the start of the game.

The controls are a bit weird yes but you'll get used to them after a while. The combat is very Bayonetta which can only be a good thing and I like how for once the gun you have is actually more effective than a pea shooter unlike every other character action game released since Devil May Cry.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I'm glad to hear it gets better. I look forward to seeing how things develop. Like I said, I wanted to put some thoughts out there for you guys.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CritialGaming said:
Combat is also not what I expected from a Platinum game. I went into Nier expecting a Bayonetta freakshow of awesomeness with robot parts flying all over the place. What I got, was a much slower game than I expected. Melee combat seems much more focused on whiff punishing than the brutal offense of other games from the developer. 2B takes a LOT of damage when she is hit, even on normal. And her best method of combat is to time your dodges to trigger counter attack combos on enemies.

In a game like this dodging needs to be a lightning fast reflex, and the right trigger is not only unintuitive but also the slowest button on the controller to push. I can't tell you how much damage I've taken because I'm trying to dodge using a button that makes more sense like "B".
I don't really consider this a Platinum game. The way I saw it even before playing the demo was that Platinum was basically coming in to spruce up Nier's combat. And, from playing the demo, that's exactly what they did. Automata is still a Nier game with the same director. Expecting a full-fledged Platinum combat system like Bayonetta wasn't going to happen.

Speaking of Bayonetta and as someone already mentioned, Bayonetta used "R2" for its dodge. I never had issue with that. I imagine you can remap the dodge to another button especially on PC and on PS4 you can remap all buttons for any game as well. I never have to use L3 for sprint again, I'm using R2 for sprint in Horizon for example.

My main concern for Automata is whether the characters will be good. The 1st game was carried by Kaine and Weiss and the main androids don't come off as interesting at all in Automata. Nier's story has some issues even more so after watching Super Bunnyhop's recent Nier video. Hopefully, you don't have to play Automata multiple times to reveal the whole story like the original, which wasn't near (pun unintended) that amazing enough to lock details behind multiple playthroughs.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I've just entered what you would call late game. I can't give a full review right now, but I'll say this: the game is incredible.

The thing that needs to be understood is that the game is divided into thirds. Route 1, route 2, and route 3. I suspect a lot of reviewers will finish route 1, and think they've finished. They're actually only 1/3rd of the way through the game. Each route becomes increasingly different. The final route is essentially the second half of the story. The game starts off slow, but it absolutely explodes during the ending of route two, and route three. This game is weird and experimental, but it's very good.

In terms of game play it switches around a lot. From moment to moment it can be a bullet hell, a twin stick shooter, a third person action game, a top down action game, and a side scroller. It changes genres fluidly, and frequently. It may not be for everyone, but if you want to try something experimental and different, then I think this is an excellent title.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
For the record, I find the dodge to be awkward as well, but I believe that the game will allow you to rebind it even on controller. (Maybe? I thought that was what I saw, but I didn't look too closely and it's been a few days since I last played.) I know you said you like to play with the default control scheme, but honestly, sometimes you just need to accept that the developer's standard control scheme is a bit arcane.

But yeah, on PC the optimization is... less than ideal. In fact, I'd dare say it's embarrassing, considering that it takes a special sort of mistake to get pre-rendered cutscenes to run poorly.

Aside from that, I'd also second the question as to whether you're familiar with Drakengard/the first Nier or not, because Automata is most definitely Nier by way of Platinum rather than a *Platinum* game, if that makes sense. I've enjoyed it so far, but I really hope that the performance gets ironed out a bit because right now it's not in a state that I feel excited to come back to. And that's a shame, because I feel like the game is one I'll have a lot of fun with; Nier was a game that I intensely wanted to like, but just couldn't really gel with the gameplay, at least at the time that I tried to play it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Hmm. I'll have to politely disagree with the dodge button complaint, but I suppose that's subjective. I find that the enemies have built in tells to let you know you need to dodge. For instance, the robots eyes flash red before every attack. If you bare that in mind, it does become easier to dodge. The back bumper dodge button worked seamlessly flor me, and I never had a single issue with it. It's especially easy when compared to dark souls, which requires timing mastery.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Fox12 said:
If you bare that in mind, it does become easier to dodge. The back bumper dodge button worked seamlessly flor me, and I never had a single issue with it. It's especially easy when compared to dark souls, which requires timing mastery.
It's not so much that the dodging itself is awkward as it is that the button placement doesn't gel with the rest of the control scheme of the game for me. It's particularly bad during the shmup sequences, but any time I want to keep firing with the pod while dodging is an exercise in how strangely I can contort my fingers around the controller. And yes, I could just not have the pod be firing, but that's kinda counterintuitive considering that the pod does chip damage and never runs out of ammo. It's just wasted damage if you don't.

Dodging in NieR: Automata requires actively managing four different systems, which means four different inputs: the pod (R1), the camera (right stick), your melee (face buttons), and the dodge itself (R2). Contrast with Dark Souls, which only requires three, removing the conflicting use of both trigger buttons simultaneously with either the analog stick or a face button.

Now, hey, maybe this is just a problem for me because I use my index finger for both of the triggers. But man is it just uncomfortable and fucking weird for me to have two fingers on the triggers at the same time.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
CritialGaming said:
Combat is also not what I expected from a Platinum game. I went into Nier expecting a Bayonetta freakshow of awesomeness with robot parts flying all over the place. What I got, was a much slower game than I expected. Melee combat seems much more focused on whiff punishing than the brutal offense of other games from the developer. 2B takes a LOT of damage when she is hit, even on normal. And her best method of combat is to time your dodges to trigger counter attack combos on enemies. You also have a robot that will fire in the direction your character is facing so long as you hold down the button for it.
Now I may have to reconsider getting the game, I dont really like the flashiness of most Platinum games, it always feels like for every button press the character does a shit ton of unnecessary moves, making the action feel shallow and disconnected. Something like Ninja Gaiden worked better for me, you press a button and a slash happens, just that (although some weapons are flashier like the nunchucks).

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Is the game design trying to be too many things at once? It sounds like performance suffers and the differences between PS4 and Pro are pretty pronounced. It doesn't even run at 1080p on the standard version, and there are some noticeable aliasing issues. I haven't played it, but seeing that it changes game styles so much I wonder if they didn't optimize any of them. PC version is also a port of the standard PS4 and not Pro, so that's where the cutscene issues probably stem from.

Regarding the game's visual style, yeah, B2 is definitely the highlight and exquisitely designed. Kinda ironic how they sexualize her looks though when she's a robot. Designed to lure horny humans?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Dodging in NieR: Automata requires actively managing four different systems, which means four different inputs: the pod (R1), the camera (right stick), your melee (face buttons), and the dodge itself (R2). Contrast with Dark Souls, which only requires three, removing the conflicting use of both trigger buttons simultaneously with either the analog stick or a face button.
This is my biggest issue with the control scheme (though it was temporary for me and I just got used to it). It definitely took a while to get accustomed to juggling four different kinds of inputs at once.

Phoenixmgs said:
My main concern for Automata is whether the characters will be good. The 1st game was carried by Kaine and Weiss and the main androids don't come off as interesting at all in Automata. Nier's story has some issues even more so after watching Super Bunnyhop's recent Nier video. Hopefully, you don't have to play Automata multiple times to reveal the whole story like the original, which wasn't near (pun unintended) that amazing enough to lock details behind multiple playthroughs.
You do have to play through the game twice in similar playthroughs as 2B first and then 9S. You get a few significant story bits in 9S's playthrough that you don't get in 2B's. When you load your file after completing the second playthrough, everything following that is entirely new content (your "third" playthrough which comprises the last 50-60% of the game begins at this point). At the very least you can beeline to the ending in 9S's playthrough, but I do consider it the weakest part of the game, though it's still enjoyable. Just a warning. The characters without a doubt have discernible personalities, especially 9S, and I think the story does a good job of fleshing most of the main characters out and making them relatable or at least tolerable.
OP: I think your complaints are all legitimate to some degree, but I can't say they bother me as much. Dodging is pretty dang easy and it doesn't have to be anywhere near as precise in this game compared to other Platinum games. And I enjoy the genre shifts particularly because all of the ones they borrow from are some of my favorites, but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.

In any case I hope they make sure to fix the PC version's cutscenes and improve its performance. Seems like it's leaving a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths; there's no reason to have pre-rendered cutscenes be running in some weird 15 FPS state. Or to have some of the pop-in I've been seeing.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im currently in the process of going for 100% completion on a second save file.

Why a second file? Wouldnt want to spoil it.

So yes i rather like the game.

Also after you unlock ending C or D youll unlock a chapter select so dont feel giulty about missing any sidequests.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I just recently started the third playthrough and so far the game has been absolutely amazing, which isn't too much of a surprise. While the main characters haven't quite gripped me as much as the first game's, the gameplay is much better.

And damn, that scene where you visit that particular place, with that particular character while [/i]that[/i] particular music track starts playing really got to me.