Nier: Automata Impressions

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I just beat a robot that tried to kill me with opera and the game has completely fucking STALLED for me. I'm just sort of running around now. Trying to figure out if there is a fast travel but i can't seem to find it. Jackass is also an accurate name for her stupid "challenges"

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
The first Nier was an intentional genre-salad, with action RPG, shooter, and even survival horror.

This game has much better combat and more interesting character customization, so compared to the original I'm liking it more. Also I dig the music. But I'm not far enough to talk about the story.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
CritialGaming said:
I just beat a robot that tried to kill me with opera and the game has completely fucking STALLED for me. I'm just sort of running around now. Trying to figure out if there is a fast travel but i can't seem to find it. Jackass is also an accurate name for her stupid "challenges"
As you progress through the main story you'll eventually unlock fast travel.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Ezekiel said:
This is absurdly stupid. I just failed the last part again because I didn't know that I was supposed to prevent the enemies from passing the pod. I skipped the cutscenes this second time. It takes like twenty minutes to get back to this sequence. Dumb!
hanselthecaretaker said:
Is the game design trying to be too many things at once? It sounds like performance suffers and the differences between PS4 and Pro are pretty pronounced. It doesn't even run at 1080p on the standard version, and there are some noticeable aliasing issues. I haven't played it, but seeing that it changes game styles so much I wonder if they didn't optimize any of them. PC version is also a port of the standard PS4 and not Pro, so that's where the cutscene issues probably stem from.

Regarding the game's visual style, yeah, B2 is definitely the highlight and exquisitely designed. Kinda ironic how they sexualize her looks though when she's a robot. Designed to lure horny humans?
I wanna know why 9S is wearing a designer purse. I haven't seen any humans yet. I'm guessing it's just vanity. The androids are vain.
I had that exact problem. I only died once though, the game doesn't tell you that you can move the pod around like the character. So just get up in enemies faces and blast em. Prioritise flyers. Also if you have healing items, you can use them without going into the inventory screen.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Broderick said:
Ezekiel said:
This is absurdly stupid. I just failed the last part again because I didn't know that I was supposed to prevent the enemies from passing the pod. I skipped the cutscenes this second time. It takes like twenty minutes to get back to this sequence. Dumb!
hanselthecaretaker said:
Is the game design trying to be too many things at once? It sounds like performance suffers and the differences between PS4 and Pro are pretty pronounced. It doesn't even run at 1080p on the standard version, and there are some noticeable aliasing issues. I haven't played it, but seeing that it changes game styles so much I wonder if they didn't optimize any of them. PC version is also a port of the standard PS4 and not Pro, so that's where the cutscene issues probably stem from.

Regarding the game's visual style, yeah, B2 is definitely the highlight and exquisitely designed. Kinda ironic how they sexualize her looks though when she's a robot. Designed to lure horny humans?
I wanna know why 9S is wearing a designer purse. I haven't seen any humans yet. I'm guessing it's just vanity. The androids are vain.
I had that exact problem. I only died once though, the game doesn't tell you that you can move the pod around like the character. So just get up in enemies faces and blast em. Prioritise flyers. Also if you have healing items, you can use them without going into the inventory screen.
I passed it a few hours ago. I preferred 2B over 9S. His gameplay involves too much hacking, which is just more shoot 'em up segments. I hack so frequently (because there's no point in using melee attacks) that I can't even hear his conversations with 2B.
I'm getting the same impression, although I only just got done with the desert section. At least I know how to open those chests now
the ones that require hacking

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Same reason why 2b has upskirt city going on and can even explode the dress off her butt: the devs liked it so that's how they decided their puppets should look like.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Shouldn't the hacking mini-games be, like, you know, puzzles?
Why should it? Because most games do?

How does more shoot 'em up gameplay represent hacking?
I don't think I've ever played a game where the hacking represented real world hacking. Not to mention, this game is more than ten millennia in the future, and technology is obviously a lot different then than it is now.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Well, first of all, 3 hours isn't really that far in, so a bit early to judge but hey.

First a few things.

On PC it is locked to 60fps, and the cutscenes to 30. Why? Fuck knows, but that's how they did it and not much you can do about that. Personally, while the 30 part sucks and I wish it all was 60, it is not enough to break the otherwise lovely experience I am having with the game.

While I understand your desire to play the game "the way it was meant", complaining about the control setup when it is one of the few games that allows you to reconfigure it to whatever you'd like seems a bit silly. Take advantage of that option and change it if it bothers you too much.
I for one love the standard setup, as it feels natural to me. It may be because I haven't played with a controller in ages and have no idea what "standard" setup should be, but it works for me.

As for the general style and graphics, it's weird as hell but I like it. Some areas are sorta boring yes, but others are quite stunning. The amusement park was really something special but wish it was longer.

Now let me give you my impressions, you didn't ask for it but I'll do it anyway.

I went into the game with no expectations at all, just wanted to try a new game I knew nothing about, and so far I god damn love it. Decided to go straight into hard, and even though I sorta regretted that decision after re-doing the whole intro part about 4-5 times, I stuck to it. It forced me to get good, much like in Dark Souls, and it gave me the same feeling of just being a beast once you start tearing stuff up. In fact, it has A LOT in common with the Souls games in terms of mechanics.
However, when playing on hard, the road from feeling invincible to getting absolutely recked is not long. Things hurt, and bosses straight up one-shots you.

I also love the whole skill system and the way they designed it to work, as there is tons of customization to be made there depending on how you play and what you are doing. It allows you to do silly stuff as well, like the idea I am playing with which is basically just going full on glass cannon. Thing's more or less one shots you anyway on hard, so why not just go on very hard, stack "perfect" damage up % in all slots, including slots meant for core systems, and then just go nuts.

If I have to fault it at something it has to be that it can get a bit too spammy at times. Like the sections where you have the flying suit, and as long as you just spam melee attack nothing can touch you. And not to mention the damn shooting thing you can do, where you are basically meant to just hold the button down constantly whenever you are in combat as there is no reason not to. After trying different things like taping it down or macroing it, I just said "fuck it!" and stopped using it, the damage it does isn't worth the hassle at the later stages anyways. Melee combat is a lot more fun, and without the constant shooting sound and the added visuals it's far easier to tell what the hell is going on as well.

The last thing I also wanna point out is the music, as it needs a mention too. It has been a long time since I've even noticed the music in a game, it's good. The track during the Opera boss fight is just epic, and the theme in Pascal's village is just so damn cute and lovely. In many ways it reminds me of the good old days playing Final Fantasy.

As for the story.. Well it's no masterpiece but it's good enough. It is different at least. As long as it keeps leading me from one awesome place with spectacular fights to the next, I don't really care though.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
I only got to play up to the first save point because my girlfriend was getting annoyed by 2B's "tseh" noise but I had a lot of fun. I have no issues with the control scheme besides the fact that the dodge button is on the opposite side of the controllers from Bayonetta which confused the utter shit out of me for most of the prologue.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Personally, I had alot of fun with the demo, but when I got the full game, I wasn't exactly in awe.
I don't hate the game, and will try to get myself to finish it when I do go back, but it's unfortunatly not a 10/10 game.

Outside that, my bigest problem is the standard control scheme, but changing it up makes it even more awkward. Possibly thanks to muscle memory, and i'm not sure if I can chalk it up to the game completely.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Just got the last major ending last night. Don't be a purist about controls, just switch them.

As to gameplay, I've been a fan of the Drakengard games since the first one when they had shit gameplay, this game is a huge step up. You do feel good when you get a bosses pattern down.

Finally I'll say, game of the year. Pack it up 2017, we already have a winner.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I'm at the point now where, even though I am leveling up, I don't feel stronger. There is this mission where I have to kill like 8 enemies with shields in 30 seconds and I simply don't do enough damage. No amount of comboing melee with the little robot companion thing helps. I fail by 5 seconds everytime. I even came back and tried it 3 levels "stronger" and nothing changes. I've tried installing increased attack damage chips, but that doesn't help because I don't have anything powerful enough to make a difference. Not to mention I have no room to install shit. I can put in 2 chips, just 2, and it doesn't matter.

The more I play the more shit just gets in my fucking way. It's like playing Zelda again but with a shitty color pallet.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
CritialGaming said:
I'm at the point now where, even though I am leveling up, I don't feel stronger. There is this mission where I have to kill like 8 enemies with shields in 30 seconds and I simply don't do enough damage. No amount of comboing melee with the little robot companion thing helps. I fail by 5 seconds everytime. I even came back and tried it 3 levels "stronger" and nothing changes. I've tried installing increased attack damage chips, but that doesn't help because I don't have anything powerful enough to make a difference. Not to mention I have no room to install shit. I can put in 2 chips, just 2, and it doesn't matter.

The more I play the more shit just gets in my fucking way. It's like playing Zelda again but with a shitty color pallet.
Not all quests are meant to be completed as soon as they are available. That said, with the right amount of chip combinations and enhancement items those quests can be completed. If you're still having trouble after that just leave the quest until later.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
CritialGaming said:

Upgrading your weapons is a bigger damage buff than chips and leveling. You can literally double your damage output with a single upgrade to your sword.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
CritialGaming said:

That particular quest (as well as some others) are more or less intended to be beaten in the B storyline.