Nike Designer Claims Back to the Future Power Laces Coming in 2015

Alex Co

New member
Dec 11, 2013
1,183
0
0
Nike Designer Claims Back to the Future Power Laces Coming in 2015

According to Nike designer Tinker Hatfield, the self-tightening power laces shown in Back to the Future II will be out next year.

Even if we still don't have Back to the Future II's time-jumping DeLorean or hoverboards out now, there is one tech from the movie that we'll see next year, and that's Marty McFly's shoes with power laces in 'em. During an appearance at the Jordan Brand's Flight Lab, Nike designer Tinker Hatfield confirms that power laces are coming in 2015, stating, "Are we gonna see power laces in 2015? To that, I say YES!" Incidentally and in a bizarre coincidence, 2015 is also the year in the movie where Marty McFly wore the self-tying shoes.

For those who haven't seen the movie, power laces are self-tightening/self-tying laces that makes bending down to tie knots in sneakers a thing of the past. You can check how it works in the movie in the embedded video.

This isn't the first time Nike has used the Back to the Future film series as an inspiration for a shoe. Back in 2011, the shoe company released a limited run of the Nike MAGs, which had the futuristic design of McFly's shoes though it didn't have the most important element -- which, you've guessed it, the power laces.

In other Back to the Future news, a musical based on the movie will hit London next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131874-Back-to-the-Future-Musical-Hitting-London-Stage-Next-Year] to commemorate the film's 30th anniversary.

Now, bring on the time-travelling DeLorean, people. Heck, truth be told, I'd be content with an honest-to-goodness hoverboard.

Source: Gizmodo [http://solecollector.com/news/tinker-hatfield-confirms-nike-mag-will-release-with-power-laces-20151/]


Permalink
 

Bindal

New member
May 14, 2012
1,320
0
0
The shoes themselves came about two years ago, only missing the power laces... now the second half is coming, too.
Almost scary, how accurate BttF2 predicted 2015.
 

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
6,092
0
0
Bindal said:
The shoes themselves came about two years ago, only missing the power laces... now the second half is coming, too.
Almost scary, how accurate BttF2 predicted 2015.
Nah, it was hardly accurate. No-one uses fax these days.

OT: Honestly, self tying laces would be sweet, but if those are the shoes I have to wear then I will happily tie my laces for a few more years.
 

Bug MuIdoon

New member
Mar 28, 2013
285
0
0
I've wanted a pair of these since I was a kid, it's so rad they're finally coming to average Joe's.

The sneaker head in me is drooling, but the vegan in me is so sad that they'll be leather.
 

omega 616

New member
May 1, 2009
5,883
1
0
And we take another step closer to the fat people in wall-e ... I can't really talk, I have slip on boots.

This tech doesn't seem that hard though, little heavy but wouldn't you just need a small motor to pull it tight and something to stop it cheese wiring your foot?
 

Osaka117

New member
Feb 20, 2011
321
0
0
That's all well and good, but can we please get to work on the oven that cooks a tiny pizza into a large one in a few seconds? That's all I really want, hoverboards and weather control is just a bonus after that.
 
Aug 1, 2010
2,768
0
0
Ok, sweet.

Now where is my damn Jaws 19?

Hollywood is going to have to move pretty fast to get all those Jaws sequels out in time.

Also flying cars everywhere. Needs to happen.
 

Icehearted

New member
Jul 14, 2009
2,081
0
0
Yeah, still waiting on the pockets fad. I also hope that self-drying jackets don't sound like Stephen Hawking's speech synthesizer unless we can program it to say crude things, then it'll be my dinner jacket of choice.

I see the ridiculous footwear kids have these days, so power laces strike me as being pretty tame by comparison.
 

Alex Co

New member
Dec 11, 2013
1,183
0
0
Bug MuIdoon said:
I've wanted a pair of these since I was a kid, it's so rad they're finally coming to average Joe's.

The sneaker head in me is drooling, but the vegan in me is so sad that they'll be leather.
Same! Ditto with the self-drying jackets. :D

omega 616 said:
And we take another step closer to the fat people in wall-e ... I can't really talk, I have slip on boots.

This tech doesn't seem that hard though, little heavy but wouldn't you just need a small motor to pull it tight and something to stop it cheese wiring your foot?
But having a motor might mean people will get electrocuted if their shoes get submerged in water, which is equal to lawsuits. xD

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Ok, sweet.

Now where is my damn Jaws 19?

Hollywood is going to have to move pretty fast to get all those Jaws sequels out in time.

Also flying cars everywhere. Needs to happen.
Flying cars might be the main thing missing from "tEH Futurze" theme going on. Before, we never envisioned touchscreens, etc. But flying cars? Nope, not even close. :(
 

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
33,758
0
0
Yopaz said:
Nah, it was hardly accurate. No-one uses fax these days.
Actually fax machines are used extensively in Japanese businesses to this day, and at my job we still use fax machines, and I work for San Diego State University in California.

OT: Interesting, I'm wondering how much these shoes would cost actually.
 

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
4,286
0
0
Is it just me or will this 'labour saving' device just end up causing more trouble as we will most likely end up having to worry about batteries for our shoes, power levels, water damage; and it will make them heavier, bulkier, and more expensive.

Heck, I don't even bother tightening my laces at the moment, I just have fairly loose trainers that I can slip on and off without bothering the always tied laces!


Adam Jensen said:
And being the fan that I am I'll probably buy them instantly. I can't wait!
My trainers.... are augmented!
 

LazyAza

New member
May 28, 2008
716
0
0
Since I figure the only other thing from bttf2 that could be feasibly done is the self drying jacket I hope some clothes company has plans for that.
 

Alexander Kirby

New member
Mar 29, 2011
204
0
0
Or, ya know, velcro. I'd much rather have velcro due to the fact that you can adjust them so they're not too tight.

Oh well a gimmick like this would probably fly off the shelves.
 

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1,698
0
0
Hero in a half shell said:
Is it just me or will this 'labour saving' device just end up causing more trouble as we will most likely end up having to worry about batteries for our shoes, power levels, water damage; and it will make them heavier, bulkier, and more expensive.

Heck, I don't even bother tightening my laces at the moment, I just have fairly loose trainers that I can slip on and off without bothering the always tied laces!


Adam Jensen said:
And being the fan that I am I'll probably buy them instantly. I can't wait!
My trainers.... are augmented!
Dunno about making them waterproof, but I'm thinking solar-powered lithium ion for power. That would be an easy fix, and if used largely for outdoor athletic wear, they would never need a manual recharge.
 

LordLundar

New member
Apr 6, 2004
962
0
0
Bindal said:
The shoes themselves came about two years ago, only missing the power laces... now the second half is coming, too.
Almost scary, how accurate BttF2 predicted 2015.
Nope. Cubs are still nowhere near winning the World Series. :p
 

Ratty

New member
Jan 21, 2014
848
0
0
I'm predicting these'll be a limited edition tie-in that'll be around $200 minimum. Not that they'd make sense in any other context given how impractical they would be.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Ok, sweet.

Now where is my damn Jaws 19?
Well we've got 4 so far, make "Jaws 5: Cruel Jaws" canonical and Universal will be over a fourth of the way there. They'll need to hire 7 to 14 groups of shot-on-shitteo indie movie makers to film the rest on time but it can be done. Might have to start using old rejected titles though. "Jaws 18, Humans 0" anyone?

I wonder if Marty was just standing on the 3DS style sweet spot to see the 3D effects on that shark billboard?
 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
Yopaz said:
Bindal said:
The shoes themselves came about two years ago, only missing the power laces... now the second half is coming, too.
Almost scary, how accurate BttF2 predicted 2015.
Nah, it was hardly accurate. No-one uses fax these days.

OT: Honestly, self tying laces would be sweet, but if those are the shoes I have to wear then I will happily tie my laces for a few more years.
Actually many offices still use faxes (in the US), especially ones with international business because a lot of overseas partners or clients don't have great internet and faxing documents can be faster than e-mailing them. I think it was said Japan still runs on faxes and old PC's so its not so farfetched to think it would still be in effect next year. Also since Marty's boss was Asian (probably Japanese if I remember correctly by the last name) there's a huge social outlook there that one could say BTTF2 predicted that Japan would STILL be using fax machines by 2015. XD