"Nintendo 1DS" Spoof Site Lampoons the 2DS

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
"Nintendo 1DS" Spoof Site Lampoons the 2DS

A website has appeared poking fun at Nintendo with the fictional "1DS," a single screen version of the 3DS.

There are some arguably <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127299-Nintendo-Aiming-2DS-at-Young-Kids>good reasons for the Nintendo 2DS to exist. That being the case, we're going to go ahead and say that "2DS" is still a pretty silly name for a gaming system. We get what Nintendo was going for, but it kind of strikes as the sort of thing that will make gamers roll their eyes and confuse unknowledgeable parents when they venture into the gaming aisle at Wal-Mart to buy little Timmy the Nintendo thingy he's been begging for.

Perhaps feeling the same way we do on the subject, one enterprising soul has created a fairly brilliant website spoofing Nintendo and the 2DS. The website, which mimics Nintendo's own official sites and even links to official company pages, is a mock advertisement for the "1DS," a fictional single screen version of the 3DS that would have only one screen and offer "3 new ways to play."

These options would include one screen play, TV play and smartphone play. In the single screen mode, players would "easily" switch between the top and bottom screen content, presumably with a button push. The TV and smartphone play on the other hand would connect the imaginary handheld to a compatible mobile device which would then serve as a second screen. The Nintendo 1DS would play "all packaged and downloadable games designed for Nintendo 3DS in 2D" and retail for $99.

Again, we have to give some serious kudos to whoever did this. A clear amount of considerable work went into making this looking as authentic as possible. We wouldn't be surprised, in fact, if this actually managed to trick a few people. That being said, we can't help but wonder what you think of the 1DS. Would you consider buying this if it were real, or is it just for laughs?

Source: <a href=http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/weirdness_this_1ds_spoof_is_remarkably_well_done>Nintendo Life

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I honestly don't know why people are getting upset with the 2DS. It literally has no baring on the 3DS or the rest of our lives what so ever. It's like complaining that there are child-seats at a restaurant; because that's exactly what this is. Nintendo just wanted to make something for even younger children.

Just be happy they made a separate console for them rather then nerfing the original.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is flippin' brilliant and deserves the awardening of several internets.

As to "would I buy it?" I like the 3DS as-is, even if I'm not a fan of the 3D. I would also like to know more about its actual operation (if it existed) before making such a decision.

In short, I'm not against it. I'm just not sure I would purchase it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xPixelatedx said:
I honestly don't know why people are getting upset with the 2DS. It literally has no baring on the 3DS or the rest of our lives what so ever. It's like complaining that there are child-seats at a restaurant; because that's exactly what this is. Nintendo just wanted to make something for even younger children.

Just be happy they made a separate console for them rather then nerfing the original.
Are people complaining, though? Mostly I've just seen mockery.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
While there are some games where the two-screen thing is largely pointless, a number actually require it. I haven't played with the 3DS but think of the FPS for the normal DS. You actually need both the touchscreen and the viewscreen because the touchscreen functions as the makeshift-mouse and may also be used for inventory selection and stuff like that. So, no, if this were real I wouldn't buy it. I might actually buy a 2DS if it were "foldable", but I think I'll just wait until the 3DS becomes cheaper.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
xPixelatedx said:

Yes, I have seen people RAGE over it, passionately, like Nintendo has personally insulted them by doing this. I even have a friend who is pretty peeved, and I just sit silently and listen to him vent. It's really quite odd.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
xPixelatedx said:

Yes, I have seen people RAGE over it, passionately, like Nintendo has personally insulted them by doing this. I even have a friend who is pretty peeved, and I just sit silently and listen to him vent. It's really quite odd.
What I've noticed is exactly to your earlier point. Most people think that the it IS a nerf. They don't realize that they are being sold side by side. This is not going to replace the 3DS guys. It's just for the people who never want to play 3D EVER and didn't want to waste extra money on that feature. Everyone else complaining is just doing that because this is the internet and that is what people do here.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xPixelatedx said:
Huh. I suppose I'm not too surprised.

I mean, I think there's some dumb elements here. The fact that they boast it's fully compatible does indicate to me an admission that their new big gimmick was pointless, but I'm not mad at them. I play with the 3D turned off anyway.

I mean, it shouldn't piss people off because it doesn't affect them, but gamers often get pissed off over things that don't affect them.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I like the idea behind that thing, actually. And it wouldn't be too hard to make for Nintendo as the WiiU-Controller TO SOME DEGREE ALREADY does it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ironically, the spoof 1DS describes something functionally similar to the GBA-Gamecube connector, only wireless.

Deludedfool

Dec 21, 2010
When I first saw this it took me a few minutes to work out it was fake.

I would probably buy something like this if it actually existed and allowed for easy save transfers between a 3DS and 1DS though, playing 3DS games on a tv would be pretty good and it would just work like a mini Wii U.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
that's... pretty damn brilliant. I mean, if most people own a smartphone, why not make a 3DS that connects to it for a second screen? And with a smartphone, it solves the whole streetpass/wifi situation with 3G and 4G connections, and people can decide if they want the top or bottom to be the touchscreen. And it's even more portable than the 2DS!

I bet someone over at Nintendo is going "derp" right now...

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
As a new GBA replacement system I'd get it in an instant. As a NxDS replacement it would be DAO.
Just negates about everything that characterizes the NxDS.

Idea and execution is neat though.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Hey, at least one screen is better than Apple's bugdet devise: the zero-screen ipod shuffle. I wonder if this guy made a site about the shuffle were you had no way to control it and you just listened to all the music on it loop until the battery ran out.

I never really played a DS game that used the touch screen for anything more that a map and extra input, and all I can think of that would use 2 screens fully is Contra 4 and Brain Age. I know Nintendo would never drop the Dual Screen image because that's still their money printer and would ruin backwards compatibility, but that's one way to make a budget model.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That's a well made spoof. The website is really convincing. In fact if I didn't know better, I'd say it was official.
The device is clever too. Nintendo should actually make this thing. ...only don't call it the 1DS.

Sep 14, 2009
drthmik said:
Isn't this basically the WiiU but with a different game library?
edit: whoops the internet ate my post portion of this

I was going to say:

"that is exactly what i thought when i first saw it, it looks like the wiiU tablet

this is hilarious and awesome at the same time XD "

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
no 3D? play the games on a TV and still have the touch screen? cheaper?.

make the handheld more controller like and comfortable and Id buy this thing.