Nintendo...2DS?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
So Nintendo has revealed a new model of the 3DS that will not be having the 3D aspect in it...and I have to say, while I don't use the 3D option often, that this is quite stupid for them to do. I mean I love the 3DS a lot and I love how sleek it is, but this new 2DS is really dumb if you ask me.
Why? Well to put it simply, it looks completely ugly. It loses the stereo speakers and replaces it with a mono one, and biggest of all it doesn't fold like how the GBA SP, all the Nintendo DS', and how the regular and 3DS XL were.

So what are your thoughts on the 2DS?
It will be available in stores on October 12th for only $130...or you could just save and get a regular 3DS or a comfy 3DS XL.

Source

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I'll probably buy an American version of this so I can play all the region locked games. It honestly looks more comfortable to use than even the XL

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
I'll probably buy an American version of this so I can play all the region locked games. It honestly looks more comfortable to use than even the XL
I would hope that they don't region lock the physical games on this one, but the chances of that being the case are really unlikely. Honestly I find this to be really dumb looking and doesn't seem that comfortable, and unfortunately I can see it being like how the Gameboy Micro was.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
So...it doesn't fold?

Dealbreaker for me. I have been relying on the folding feature since the GBA Sp came out. I would be lost without it. Plus, it sort of looks awkward to use the control stick with all that extra empty plastic under it.

But this news does remind me that I want to pick up a 3DS. Animal Crossing...it's calling to me again. :/

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
So Nintendo has revealed a new model of the 3DS that will not be having the 3D aspect in it...and I have to say, while I don't use the 3D option often, that this is quite stupid for them to do. I mean I love the 3DS a lot and I love how sleek it is, but this new 2DS is really dumb if you ask me.
Why? Well to put it simply, it looks completely ugly. It loses the stereo speakers and replaces it with a mono one, and biggest of all it doesn't fold like how the GBA SP, all the Nintendo DS', and how the regular and 3DS XL were.

So what are your thoughts on the 2DS?
It will be available in stores on October 12th for only $130...or you could just save and get a regular 3DS or a comfy 3DS XL.

Source
Personally I'm completely indifferent.
This model isn't a step up, nor was it meant to be.
The interviews regarding the system have already shown to me that the demographic wasn't us in the slightest.
It's to cater to a niche demographic of people who otherwise can't enjoy a 3DS due to financials, visual disabilities (stereo blindness), and children too young to understand the value of expensive tech.

It's simply a much cheaper alternative for the current two models for those that are on a tight budget. And conveniently it's going to be released when Pokemon X and Y comes out. So it's really going to nail the whole holiday savings on system and game combo.

Not something to get worried about, upset, aggravated, etc.
It's an alternative.
Just like the 3DS XL was an alternative to the regular 3DS.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I would hope that they don't region lock the physical games on this one, but the chances of that being the case are really unlikely. Honestly I find this to be really dumb looking and doesn't seem that comfortable, and unfortunately I can see it being like how the Gameboy Micro was.
The folks over at Kotaku have stated that it's actually surprisingly comfortable to hold, and the grip isn't all that different form a regular 3DS.
So I don't think that will be an issue.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
You made a thread? OUTSIDE OF FORUM GAMES?

Nero! What's happening to the world!?!?!?

OT: Yeah I thought the ergonomics of the design looked really bad. It's like nintendo is trying to make it uglier and less manageable :/

I mean seriously, it looks like it should be a prototype or something.

I can get behind the concept to some extent, but the execution of it seems less than stellar.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I'm not aggravated, but is this really something that's necessary right now? I can honestly see this model going the route of the Gameboy Micro. I mean the Micro was good, but really the other models, even the original, still were better. We'll see how it is, but I don't think it will sell as well as some might hope.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
I'm not aggravated, but is this really something that's necessary right now? I can honestly see this model going the route of the Gameboy Micro. I mean the Micro was good, but really the other models, even the original, still were better. We'll see how it is, but I don't think it will sell as well as some might hope.
I don't think they expect the thing to sell as much.
They probably shipped as many units as they think will sell for a niche demographic.

I mean, the thing is $130.00. That's cheap as bricks.
The reason for now is the holiday season.
Even now parents with younger kids are skeptical about the handheld and won't buy it.
With this model however, they can put their 3D eyesight fears to rest.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The fact it doesn't bend really makes it far less appealing. The system is much wider and harder to carry in something like your pocket. The distance between the buttons and the touch screen slows down reaction times, if you are required to quickly between the two control methods. However, it is really cheap, so that makes up for most of the problems.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Dragonbums said:
It's simply a much cheaper alternative for the current two models for those that are on a tight budget. And conveniently it's going to be released when Pokemon X and Y comes out. So it's really going to nail the whole holiday savings on system and game combo.
Yeah. 2DS + Pokemon is the same price as an XL, they'll make a killing