Nintendo adds fast travel to Skyward Sword.... if you buy the amiibo

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Link is able to use designated save points to travel from the surface to the sky and his trusty Loftwing. By using this new amiibo, which will release alongside the game on July 16, you can return to the sky whenever and wherever you wish.

Once you are done flying through the clouds or visiting Skyloft, you can use the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo again to return to the spot on the surface where you previously used it.

This new feature even works in dungeons on the surface and from within buildings in the sky

I mean, not the first gameplay thing they've put behind their microtransaction disguised as collectibles. But at least its usually been bonus stuff and not basic QoL measures.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's bad enough there's a paywall at all, but because it's an Amiibo you have to add scalpers and artificial scarcity on top.
I'll tick these off for old times sake since all the Ninty fanboys have been banned by now.

"I like Amiibos"
"Who cares, It's an old game"
"You can still enjoy the original experience"
"Skyward Sword doesn't need fast travel anyway"

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It's bad enough there's a paywall at all, but because it's an Amiibo you have to add scalpers and artificial scarcity on top.
I'll tick these off for old times sake since all the Ninty fanboys have been banned by now.

"I like Amiibos"
Eh, playing with a controller is enough for me. Though I'm not buying this game full price.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Once again, Nintendo screws up and makes a pointless mechanic no one asked for. It's literally a glorified DLC for past travel. I never thought I'd see the day where Nintendo sells fast travels as dlc. Just wait till every dick in the western AAA industry jumps on it and some of the Japanese ones.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

"I like Amiibos"
I'd have to imagine Amiibos would either be cheaper to make without the NFC tech in them, or substatiantlly sturdier/solid when you aren't pmeant to be picking them up and tapping them on your console.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
My favorite accessory for the switch is the sxos adapter.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Nothing new from Nintendo. If you actually look at all this kind of stuff they've done over the years, I'd say Nintendo is more anti-consumer than Microsoft and that's a pretty high fucking bar.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nothing new from Nintendo. If you actually look at all this kind of stuff they've done over the years, I'd say Nintendo is more anti-consumer than Microsoft and that's a pretty high fucking bar.
I mean....kinda. Nintendo gets a lot of praise but most of the time they sell people the same shit they've already bought 100 times over. Even their "new" games are basically level packs for the previous entry in whatever series.

Luckily the core experiences they offer are good enough that people dont mind buying new versions of the same shit. But really Nintendo is extremely overrated and unwhelming 99% of the time.

Add to that their fucking amibo and other false scarcity events like NES minis and you have one of the shittest AAA developers around. But they always get a past.

Games cant have microtransactions if the microtransaction exists outside of the game. Technically is doesnt count right?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, I wasn't really planning on getting Skyward Sword anyways....and also, Amibos are still a thing? I totally forgot they existed.

But goddamn it with your fucking gimmicks and shitty customer treatment, Nintendo

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe Nintendo thought nobody'd notice since it's Skyward Sword. ;)

"I like Amiibos"
Can one feel nostalgic for Nintendo fanboys? I think I'm feeling something.