Nintendo Admits 3DS Sales Are "Below Expectations"

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
You guys expected your re(lite)-re(Dsi)-re(dsiXL)-re(3ds)hash,(that's rerererehash) of the DS, was going to sell well.

I got the ds lite a few weeks before they announced the Dsi, and that pissed me off, then the xl came out and now the 3ds I stopped caring. Hell this was even worse than when I saved up all my money as a child to get my very own gameboy advance, only for a much better version the sp to come out a few months later at full price.

Stop selling me the same repackaged shit over and over Nintendo, because you guys just keep rehashing it and selling it again. The only chance Ill ever have to enjoy the full range of the ds is when you jump ship and make the next non ds mobile platform.

tldr. everyone owns the game system already in one form or another and you cant get customers if they are just waiting for your next one up obsoleting this one.(waitin on 3dslite xl)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
they launched it with a rather weak line up and without all the functionality working so its really no wonder but its still a damn cool lil system, I have a feeling it will do really well this holiday season tho

the 3d on it is pretty awesome and games that use it well look fantastic, like street fighter 4

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
However, in spite of the slower sales, Iwata doesn't seem too worried. He thinks sales will pick up once more heavily-anticipated games - like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - are released, as well as when the Nintendo eShop and 3D video services come online.
No...really? And here's me thinking that a shoddy line up which doesn't do the gimmeck your trying to push any favors was the best thing to do. How are you still making money Nintendo? Seriously?

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Yeah it could be the shitty release titles, or it could be the total lack of any original titles in the near future, or it could be that portable 3D doesn't work when you have to hold your head at just the right angle to actually see the so called "3D". There is so much working against the 3DS I am shocked it hasn't began following in the Virtual Boy's foot steps. Just another example of Nintendo no longer being capable of competing based on the quality of their product but rather relying spiffy gimmicked out smoke and mirrors to get their products over.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Yes, that is because you have NOT RELEASED ANY GOOD GAMES.
Admittedly though the future line up looks pretty decent, and OOT comes out in a few days. You want expectations? Just wait until that game is released in a 3DS bundle, you'll never see such a flux in the sales chart.
I'll be buying one at that time too, might as well get a game I WANT with my console purchase.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
XT inc said:
You guys expected your re(lite)-re(Dsi)-re(dsiXL)-re(3ds)hash,(that's rerererehash) of the DS, was going to sell well.

I got the ds lite a few weeks before they announced the Dsi, and that pissed me off, then the xl came out and now the 3ds I stopped caring. Hell this was even worse than when I saved up all my money as a child to get my very own gameboy advance, only for a much better version the sp to come out a few months later at full price.

Stop selling me the same repackaged shit over and over Nintendo, because you guys just keep rehashing it and selling it again. The only chance Ill ever have to enjoy the full range of the ds is when you jump ship and make the next non ds mobile platform.

tldr. everyone owns the game system already in one form or another and you cant get customers if they are just waiting for your next one up obsoleting this one.(waitin on 3dslite xl)
This was pretty much the reason why I only ever owned 3 of their handhelds (GBC, SP, and DSLite)

What BOGGLES my mind is I have friends who had DSlites, go and shell out for the DSi...only for the 3DS to be sold a year later. What did they do? They went and bought the 3DS as well. I only ever upgraded my handheld when the specs and new games really attracted my attention and even then, I bought it on the cheap. Nintendo has been screwing people out of their money for years.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Well maybe if they didn't release the platform with only like 8 games it would have done a little bit better lol.

I probably will buy me a 3DS down the road, but not until the price drops and we see some more good games on it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, it's sorta/kinda happening exactly the same as the original DS. It had lots and lots of re-releases and less than stellar launch games. Fast forward and it's the best selling handheld around, beating the crap out of the PSP.

I still have faith on the 3DS, but I just don't think it's still time to buy one yet.
I'll wait for OoT, Star Fox and Metal Gear 3D, then I may consider getting one.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I'll be reluctantly buying the 3DS so I can play kingdom hearts 3ds(it's said that there would be a 3ds release somewhere in the future) and after that I would give the icarus game a try and probably after that it will kinda be a mistake with the only upside being that I can give my half sister my dsi and not worry about my main ds being wonked. The normal ds as it is I find so very few reasons to play it after i've played through the story mode of the game I bought it for.