Nintendo Announces 3DS XL

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
Let's all stop giving Nintendo money. Maybe if we starve them long enough they'll do something original and right the first time, instead of rehashing the same few IP over and upgrading their hardware whenever sales slow.

"If you know it needs something something else, finish the fucking job! You don't buy a house and have the salesmen say 'Now, we could add a roof to it, but it'll cost you a little extra.'" - Arj Barker on leather protector for shoes.
Maybe you should start giving new ip's money before asking for them.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
For fucks sake, Nintendo, we have to talk!
1. NO FUCKING REGION LOCK!
2. Put the second analog on the damn thing!
3. No AC adapter? Fuck you, I don't have a DSi charger, the fuck am I supposed to do now?

Dammit, I want the nicer make and bigger screen, I was planning on getting a 3DS this year, I think I'll buy a vita, Nintendo cannot seem to make the fucking thing correctly.
Including the second analog would force people to buy it for the original.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
rolfwesselius said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Let's all stop giving Nintendo money. Maybe if we starve them long enough they'll do something original and right the first time, instead of rehashing the same few IP over and upgrading their hardware whenever sales slow.

"If you know it needs something something else, finish the fucking job! You don't buy a house and have the salesmen say 'Now, we could add a roof to it, but it'll cost you a little extra.'" - Arj Barker on leather protector for shoes.
Implying I don't support new IP that I like? Okay then o_O

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
For fucks sake, Nintendo, we have to talk!
1. NO FUCKING REGION LOCK!
2. Put the second analog on the damn thing!
3. No AC adapter? Fuck you, I don't have a DSi charger, the fuck am I supposed to do now?

Dammit, I want the nicer make and bigger screen, I was planning on getting a 3DS this year, I think I'll buy a vita, Nintendo cannot seem to make the fucking thing correctly.
Including the second analog would force people to buy it for the original.

And I don't think that would be that horrible. I was also waiting on buying a 3ds and this is going to make me wait a lot longer. I loved my upgrade from the original ds to the lite. I guess Nintendo won't be getting a sale out of me yet.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
rolfwesselius said:
Clearing the Eye said:

I didn't mean to insult you but think about it.
People complain endlessly about wanting new ip's but almost all new ip's flop miserably.
That is why we cant have nice things.
Nintendo will make new ip's if people buy new ip's.
Instead of whining to nintendo about not making them give them a reason to make them.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
rolfwesselius said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rolfwesselius said:
Clearing the Eye said:

I didn't mean to insult you but think about it.
People complain endlessly about wanting new ip's but almost all new ip's flop miserably.
That is why we cant have nice things.
Nintendo will make new ip's if people buy new ip's.
Instead of whining to nintendo about not making them give them a reason to make them.
New IP doesn't often flop miserably. Rather, they are less likely to be a massive success and therefore do not receive the same fanfare as long running fan favourites. Even if we only consider large releases and ignore indie games where most of the money is at, interestingly enough, new IP is all over this generation. There's a lot of sequels, but many of those started as an original game this very generation; The Witcher, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Gears of War, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Limbo, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, etc., etc.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Tanis said:
No 2nd Analog stick...when there's SO MUCH DAMN ROOM.

If this was Sony, the handheld would be DOA, but because it's Nintendo they're getting a free pass?

BAH!
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder...

I mean, I'll freely admit I'm a Nintendo fan (It's hard to say otherwise considering they're the only consoles I've owned really.)

But this is getting stupid.

a second analog stick on this device would be a no-brainer, and it worries me that they don't see that.

Furthermore, the battery life bothers me.
Because back in the day when the gameboy was new, one of the main reasons it survived, where pretty much every other handheld ever fell flat on it's face, was the battery life.

Gameboy - shit processor, bad quality 4 shades of green display. 20-30 hour battery life.
Game Gear - Full colour display, about as fast as an NES or Master System. battery life of maybe 2-3 hours.
Atari Lynx - Full colour screen, very powerful. again though, next to no battery life.

When did nintendo decide it could start copying the mistakes that killed nearly every handheld system that tried to compete with them in the past?

The pattern has been pretty consistent.
Technically superior but large, heavy and with no battery life loses every time to the seemingly massively inferior device that doesn't die as soon as you turn it on.

(OK, so there are exceptions. Games matter too. The Neo Geo Pocket was superior to the gameboy in every way imaginable, including battery life. Of course, that was right when pokemon became popular... The wonderswan was at least as good as a gameboy colour too. Probably better)

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Oh sweet christ...

It's both a good and a bad idea.

Good: Bigger screen! Yay!
Bad: 3DS.

torzath

Jun 29, 2010
The lack of higher resolution and a second analog stick makes this a no buy for me.

Although, no charger? What the crap, Nintendo? I hope you feel sorry for all the kiddies who get this thing for Christmas who haven't had a new system since the DS lite and have no charger for it. Why are you starting to assume your customers have bought every console you've made?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Now I'm seriously tempted to buy one of these and I don't care about the "no second analog stick for you" shenanigan.

Or, I'll simply buy a Vita, it seems a lot more compelling to play both Metal Gear 2 & 3 for the Vita, instead of just MGS3 on the 3DS.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The real question is if they have anything I would actually want to see on a larger screen, like a selection of really good games or movies... and nope. Call me when that happens.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
ThePS1Fan said:
I have to agree with the person who made this picture. It only makes sense.
blackdwarf said:
no ac-adapter, no buy. and bigger screen but no better resolution? Nintendo, don't you want to sell your stuff?
Daystar Clarion said:
So no second analog stick?

I swear to god, you couldn't make this shit up.
Tanis said:
No 2nd Analog stick...when there's SO MUCH DAMN ROOM.

If this was Sony, the handheld would be DOA, but because it's Nintendo they're getting a free pass?

BAH!
It's almost as if they have no sense of direction.
Is this going to be a trend to release XL versions of their new generation handhelds?
What's next, 3DS Lite and 3DS XL Lite!?
.... Mother of god, their gonna do it aren't they?

CookieDemons

Mar 21, 2010
See, I work in a second hand game store which sells consoles. When this is released, how many times a day am I going to have to explain to customers that this doesn't come with a charger? They'll think I'm ripping them off!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
MOST UPSETTING as I only recently got a 3DS. I bought a 3DS over the vita, buy the vita later to find I prefer it 10x over the 3DS, and then this adds salt to the wounds.

Not been my year for bad choices.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Wow, Appletendo re-releasing an updateed version of their portable hardware? What a shock!

I guess it's good for those who've held out. While it kind of sucks for those who've made recent purchases, they really shouldn't be surprised. You should have seen an update coming several miles away.
But so SOON? After the price cut they were selling the 3DS at a LOSS so I'm assuming that they have made adjustments to the components to already make a PROFIT per sale.

Nintendo really WANT their fans to needlessly spend a lot this year with this coming XL version (who knows if a "Lite" version isn't already in the works) and the upcoming Wii U, they're really pushing their luck.

Nintendo just keep pushing so much unnecessary hardware revisions, a crapload of accessories and not concentrating on software-NO I'm not referring to the rehash of Nintendo titles I mean NEW IPs that doesn't rely on nostalgia, let me see some of this so-called 'innovation' in your software and not just relying on 'unique' hardware because after this Wii U touch-pad controller you've hit a brick wall in terms of 'Fresh Ideas' on motion gaming that Sony and Microsoft have already explored.

My captcha entry word is "guinea pig" coincidence? I think not

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Buy one?

I think I'll buy a vita, Nintendo cannot seem to make the fucking thing correctly.
Sony had like 900 revisions of the PSP. I'm not sure the Vita is a safe bet either. I mean, if you really want a handheld, I guess it's the only option, but if this burns you, maybe you should steer clear of them altogether.

I'm not defending Nintendo. I'm just saying: Pattern Recognition, people.

Top Hat said:
OT: This seems a bit pointless. No second analogue stick, only slightly better battery life, no higher resolution.
You're not making a compelling case nintendo :/
It's possible it's not aimed at established users. I, like a lot of people, was holding out for a revision. As early adopters of the handheld, people should know Nintendo was going to do this, and due to the issues with the handheld's sales early on, probably sooner instead of later.

My DSLite was awesome, and it was acceptable even when the DSI versions came out. I own an XL now only because my DSL broke. My point being, knowing what's coming, buy the version you'll be content with.

FantomOmega said:
Is this going to be a trend to release XL versions of their new generation handhelds?
What's next, 3DS Lite and 3DS XL Lite!?
.... Mother of god, their gonna do it aren't they?
Uhhh...Duh? They've been doing this for ages. Who doesn't see this coming?

Terramax said:
MOST UPSETTING as I only recently got a 3DS. I bought a 3DS over the vita, buy the vita later to find I prefer it 10x over the 3DS, and then this adds salt to the wounds.

Just out of curiosity, how recently? Was it during E3 season? If so, why? There was ample speculation about a 3DSLite or XL coming out, and even reported 'leaks' on the matter. This would be the prime time for a new announcement, so...

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm kinda wondering. I passed up a few sales in recent months because I suspected we'd see one at E3. Even if I was wrong, I didn't lose anything for waiting.

Clearing the Eye said:
New IP doesn't often flop miserably. Rather, they are less likely to be a massive success and therefore do not receive the same fanfare as long running fan favourites.
They also are put to the same expectations as long-running favourites. New titles which sell damn well often still get shut down because the numbers look bad, but only compared to Modern warfare, Mario, or whatever.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Terramax said:

Just out of curiosity, how recently? Was it during E3 season? If so, why? There was ample speculation about a 3DSLite or XL coming out, and even reported 'leaks' on the matter. This would be the prime time for a new announcement, so...

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm kinda wondering. I passed up a few sales in recent months because I suspected we'd see one at E3. Even if I was wrong, I didn't lose anything for waiting.
No, I bought one about 2 months ago. I mean, I knew they would likely make a better version eventually, but not this quickly and not with a screen THAT much bigger. I mean, this isn't 5mm bigger, it's a screen about a 3rd bigger.

And considering there's only 2 DS games of the 15+ I played that I liked enough to actually buy, it really is a waste compared to my Vita which I'm already loving so much more.

Regarding the vita, yeah, that'll get updates too, but I've be surprised if the screen gets much bigger, if at all. I mean, it doesn't need to be bigger. And it's got a dual analog (which works really well btw). All the Vita needs is a better battery, and for someone to sell a decent pocket case to protect the screen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Terramax said:
No, I bought one about 2 months ago. I mean, I knew they would likely make a better version eventually, but not this quickly and not with a screen THAT much bigger. I mean, this isn't 5mm bigger, it's a screen about a 3rd bigger.

And considering there's only 2 DS games of the 15+ I played that I liked enough to actually buy, it really is a waste compared to my Vita which I'm already loving so much more.

Regarding the vita, yeah, that'll get updates too, but I've be surprised if the screen gets much bigger, if at all. I mean, it doesn't need to be bigger. And it's got a dual analog (which works really well btw). All the Vita needs is a better battery, and for someone to sell a decent pocket case to protect the screen.
Fair enough. On all points, really. I mean, I don't get much use out of my DSi right now, anyway. There are games I'll probably enjoy. It's funny, I tend to love Nintendo Handhelds and hate their consoles.

I had a PSP, and only really got use out of it playing Parappa and FFVII. As such, I've personally been hesitant to shell out for a Vita. With the 3DS, I can at least trade Pokémon between it and my old DS, have somethng to multiplayer with on some games when my GF is around, and catch some of the new titles. The one thing I don't much care fore is the 3D effect itself. I'd certainly like a second analogue stick, for the record, but I don't think many games will use it as it's optional and limits the base. Nintendo was really dumb on that one.

I suspect the PSV will update in different ways, since you're right, it doesn't need any additional buttons/nubs/screen size. I do suspect we'll play this game with them as well, though. There's just more imperative with the 3DS because Nintendo took a huge hit in terms of finance and confidence. Sony did abotu as well as people projected.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010

This video explains my thoughts on the matter quite nicely, but I'll steal a few relevant points from this video in case you don't want to spend 5 minutes watching a video.

If nintendo made the XL have higher res screens or a second thumbpad, it would objectively be better then the current 3DS. This would cause massive backlash with people who already own a 3DS. Right now the battery life increase isn't significant enough to make a whole lot of difference, and the larger screen does come at the price of slightly distorted image quality. Right now it isn't a better product, it is just a product that meets slightly different needs.

Not to mention making it high res would require making an XL version of a game and an ordinary version of the game. That might be a pain in the ass. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but it would change the way 3DS games are currently made.