Nintendo Announces a New Handheld - the New 2DS XL

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Announces a New Handheld - the New 2DS XL

In a move that was a bit unexpected, Nintendo has announced a new handheld that will launch this summer: the New 2DS XL.

In the wake of the Switch launch, most people expected Nintendo to begin moving away from its 3DS family of handhelds, instead focusing on the portable mode on the Switch. Those folks got a bit of a surprise today, as Nintendo announced a brand new handheld: the New Nintendo 2DS XL.

The 2DS XL returns to the folding clamshell design that has become synonymous with the DS line of handhelds. It's got the added processing power that was in the "New" 3DS XL, as well as the "C Stick" nub above the face buttons on the right. It also adds two new shoulder buttons, unsurprisingly called "ZL" and "ZR." There's also an NFC reader behind the screen so you can use all the amiibos that you've accumulated.

Nintendo says the New 2DS XL will play "all Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS, and most Nintendo DS games in 2D." The new handheld will be available July 28, and will carry a retail price of $149.99. You can find more info on the New 2DS XL over on Nintendo's website [http://www.nintendo.com/2ds/new-nintendo-2ds].

[gallery=7303]

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Basically, the appropriate sequel to the DS as the 3D in the 3DS is incredibly underused and not desired by most looking to keep battery power up during game session.s

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wouldn't this cheaper, equally handheld gaming system compete against (and decimate) the Switch? The Switch's big thing, going by every spot of marketing, is that you can take it everywhere with you. And here comes the New 2DS XL for half the price and with god knows how many more titles to its name. All that leaves for the Switch is "It plays BotW!", and even that has to be shared with the Wii U.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Johnny Novgorod said:
Wouldn't this cheaper, equally handheld gaming system compete against (and decimate) the Switch? The Switch's big thing, going by every spot of marketing, is that you can take it everywhere with you. And here comes the New 2DS XL for half the price and with god knows how many more titles to its name. All that leaves for the Switch is "It plays BotW!", and even that has to be shared with the Wii U.
Oh okay, now I see. I was browsing /v/ (I know, I know) and there were a couple threads and people seemed PISSED about this. I don't keep up on Nintendo and especially their handhelds so I couldn't decipher what the hubbub was about.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm mildly interested due to the fact they brought back the flip screen for it! I liked my compactability dammit!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I want this. I'd like to have one of the "new" 3DS models for full compatibility's sake, and since I don't care about 3D I'd be pretty happy to upgrade from my 2DS to this.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I never got why they didn't have the flip-screen for the first 2DS - the big size made it awkward for a handheld and as my brother found out the DS screens are not as resilient as say, the GBA given the scratches it accrued over the years. The whole folding thing has kinda made sense since the SP.

Ah well, good that they sorted it out at least. Not gonna get one since I've now got two New 3DS XLs, and even though I never use the 3D (do games even do anything with the 3D anymore? Pokemon Sun and Moon didn't have much) it feels kinda... unnecessary to get a 3rd handheld.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yeah, I'm still not buying all that talk of the Switch being a dedicated handheld-'no seriously'. Case in point. You'd think they'd want to give their new "handheld" some handheld love and open up the 3DS library to it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ProfMcStevie said:
Basically, the appropriate sequel to the DS as the 3D in the 3DS is incredibly underused and not desired by most looking to keep battery power up during game session.s
Personally though I found the 3D pretty cool because of the fact you don't need glasses.

I wish I had something like that for PC 1080p monitor

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I might get this. I currently have a old 3DS XL with a busted right hinge so I have to use a finger to prop it open, oddly I haven't missed using the R button in any of the games I play on it but use it mostly for Youtube in bed.

I never liked the 3D and it seems that even simplistic games these days require the NEW console version. Plus I'd get Super Metroid and Earthbound obviously.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
"Should it also be 3D?"
"NO, that's a stupid fucking gimmick and everyone knows it!"

In all seriousness I might buy one, I was going to with the 2DS but then noticed it didn't fold.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I've always perceived 2DS as this cheap and rugged brick you buy for your kids if you're afraid they'd break the 3DS's clamshell lid off. But this thing actually looks pretty sexy. I'd absolutely get it for myself if I didn't have an N3DS already.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
karloss01 said:
"Should it also be 3D?"

In all seriousness I might buy one, I was going to with the 2DS but then noticed it didn't fold.

Oh I love Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
seems to me that it makes sence to have the different versions.

old 2ds is good for giving to your toddlers and little kiddies (3-4 yr olds up to maybe 8 or so) because their eyes cant deal properly (or safely for long amounts of time) with the 3D.
plus its cheaper and sturdier. its your basic starter model. like 'babies first handheld'

i thought about getting the N3ds (New 3Ds) but i dont realy need it. there arent any games i want that require the N3Ds so i could wait. and now, here is a cheaper model. without the extra 3D that takes up extra power.
it looks sleeker and nicer, does everything i need since i have used my 3d about a couple of hours (zelda oot cutscenes) so why not?
infact its handy because the old 2ds now goes down in value a bit. friends that couldnt afford it before might be able to buy one 2nd hand now, meaning we can share games and play multiplayer together.

plus, i doubt that it will impact the switch, unless they add games with cross system play.
the switch may be nintendo, but i dont think its realy being targeted towards the kiddies (when i say kiddies, i mean the teenagers and below)
its being targeted to the young adult and adult age group that have disposable income, and not much time to game fulltime any more.
those who have to pause the game to change a nappy or pick someone up from school ect.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Nintendo is so weird with its hardware releases that I genuinely don't know what I want from them. I want a Nintendo console, that I know, but which one... Beats me, at this point.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Wouldn't this cheaper, equally handheld gaming system compete against (and decimate) the Switch?
Depends on the Switch's library. The big thing about the Switch is the under TV console power and presentation in a mobile package. Like a Nvidia Shield but with better ergonomics (if not build quality). It can potentially play games the 3DS can't, but they have to come out for it to be a factor.

If the games come out for the Switch this device won't be a problem, if it the games don't come out the enormous DS-3DS library will stall sales for the Switch.

I want one of these with Colors! on it, my DSlite was awesome until I foolishly gave it away. Also, mobile Starfox 64, again, twenty years of addiction....

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Another device we probably can't trust because they can brick it. They're defective by design.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I like the design of it. Probably the best of the 3DS family in terms of aesthetics. I also found out that they moved the micro-SD card slot to the bottom of the unit right next to the game card slot, so no more fiddling with the back cover. The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is the position of the speakers. They are on the outside corners of the bottom half, which doesn't seem like a good place compared to where they are on all the other models. Still, I think I'll get one myself.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I suppose the 3d gimmick era has finally come to an end. Good riddance if you ask me, but I will still miss Bravely Default's beautiful cut-out city panoramas. Probably the most beautiful implementation of 3ds' 3d functionality I have ever seen.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
karloss01 said:
"Should it also be 3D?"

Funny reference. I've been saying that since they brought 3D back with Journey to the Center of the Earth and Avatar (2009)

I see no need to get a "New" 2DSXL, when I already have my old 3DSXL. Everything works fine, including the hinges. Then again, I have not touch my 3DS in months. If I do buy it, it would just be for Hyrule Warriors Legend.