Nintendo Announces Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL, Game Not Included

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Announces Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL, Game Not Included

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1257/1257888.png

DLC details also revealed.

In a press release today, Nintendo announced a new special edition Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL. The system will cost $199.99, and will launch alongside Fire Emblem Fates on February 19. However, it will not include a copy of the game.

Fire Emblem Fates will include two different versions of the game, Birthright and Conquest. They are each $39.99, but you can purchase the second for $19.99 via download. A third DLC story, Revelation, will be available digitally on March 10 for $19.99 for anyone who already owns a copy of the game. A special edition will also be available that includes all three games on a single game card, an artbook and a Nintendo 3DS XL pouch for $79.99.

"In Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, players battle a corrupted king. And in Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, a misguided kingdom must be changed from within," the post reads. "Each path is a complete story and a complete game. Playing both will show players two different sides of one brutal conflict."

Nintendo also highlighted the game's future DLC, which will come in the form of new maps, "released on a regular basis."

"When the game launches, further downloadable content in the form of new maps will also be released on a regular basis, with the first map launching on Feb. 19," Nintendo said in a press release today. "Players can choose to buy each of these maps individually, or purchase Map Pack 1 for $17.99 to get access to them all at a discount once they are released."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/689603881094008832]

Nintendo also promises that fans of role-playing games can expect a continued trend of "high-quality RPGs."

"Fans of role-playing games have just received a boost to their excitement stat," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. "Nintendo platforms have always been home to high-quality RPGs, and with even more games launching in 2016, this trend is set to continue in a big way."

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
For the love of Naga, just give us a release date for the game in the EU/UK, I don't want this ending up like SMT IV and being released a year after everyone else, without the option of importing due to the region lock.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Its a New 3DS XL. I make that distinction since supposedly there are going to be titles for that model and not a regular 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS.
Nintendo is worse at naming things then Square-Enix. Is the 3ds XL a different platform from the 3ds, or is it the same console with a few small improvements? You see, it's hard to know, because they always have three different versions of one handheld.

The whole thing rubs me the wrong way. I loved Awakening, but if they think I'm spending twice the amount of money to get one full game, they're high. Between this, Pokemon, and Atlus raising their prices to $50, handheld gaming is almost as expensive as console gaming! Every title worth having is very expensive, and the prices never seem to go down. So what's the point of carrying around a handheld anymore?

I seriously think that the 3ds is the last handheld device I will ever buy.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Finally! Nintendo is catering to the "I want my console to look like a specific game but I hate that game" crowd. A demo that has been ignored for far too long...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
This was all revealed during an RPG showcase Nintendo had for the press. Some other big tidbits were that DQ VII is expected this summer and has made tons of changes to the game such as NO RANDOM ENCOUNTERS and that Bravely Second will be out in the States on April 15 with a Collector's Edition and will have a special demo before release just like with Bravely Default.

As for FE Fates, it's looking to be one of the most interesting entries in the franchise to date due to the branching paths that drastically changes the narrative and even the style of game (Birthright being more like Awakening or Sacred Stones while Conquest is more like Path of Radiance or Shadow Dragon). That's something I find lacking in most games who push "moral choices" as they don't really do much for the game. The last time I saw a game do something like this where the story line is drastically different was Tactics Ogre (one of Yasumi Matsuno's many masterpieces) which was something I thought I'd never see repeated due to so many devs missing the freaking obvious. DLC should be fine as Awakening's DLC did interesting things and provided the player with new goodies from skills to weapons to just fun challenges. I fully expect another home run like with Awakening.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Wow, that's a lot to think about for a single game, and I'm familiar with (older generations of) Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda Oracle games.
Fox12 said:
MarsAtlas said:
Its a New 3DS XL. I make that distinction since supposedly there are going to be titles for that model and not a regular 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS.
Nintendo is worse at naming things then Square-Enix. Is the 3ds XL a different platform from the 3ds, or is it the same console with a few small improvements? You see, it's hard to know, because they always have three different versions of one handheld.
I agree. I've had to tell people in stores that 3DS games will work on their kids' 2DS systems. [small]It would help if the newer game boxes said something more informative than "Plays on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems," and the print was larger.[/small] Nintendo has a big problem in that department. They need some sort of therapy (or possibly the Japan offices listening to their regional offices about names being dumb as hell and confusing in the local languages)
tippy2k2 said:
Finally! Nintendo is catering to the "I want my console to look like a specific game but I hate that game" crowd. A demo that has been ignored for far too long...
Yeah, this is a really strange move. They should really have added a download code to the package that redeems the buyer's choice of version, or offered both versions. That way fans can buy this special edition handheld without an unhappy surprise if they didn't read the fine print (and FE haters can sell the card, I guess).

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Im curious to see if this is just Nintendo of America, they did the same thing with Majoras Mask and Nintendo UK ended up realising the game with the special edition console. Regardless its stupid, why not make the console a little more expensive and include the game, Fire Emblem Fates is already broken up into enough pieces, dont try and carve it up into even more

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Wow, that's a lot to think about for a single game, and I'm familiar with (older generations of) Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda Oracle games.
Fox12 said:
MarsAtlas said:
I agree. I've had to tell people in stores that 3DS games will work on their kids' 2DS systems. [small]It would help if the newer game boxes said something more informative than "Plays on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems," and the print was larger.[/small] Nintendo has a big problem in that department. They need some sort of therapy (or possibly the Japan offices listening to their regional offices about names being dumb as hell and confusing in the local languages)
tippy2k2 said:
Yeah, this is a really strange move. They should really have added a download code to the package that redeems the buyer's choice of version, or offered both versions. That way fans can buy this special edition handheld without an unhappy surprise if they didn't read the fine print (and FE haters can sell the card, I guess).
They have put the software on the system with some previous packages...of course, all this really ends up doing is adding the price of the game to the system.

I think they do this based on which games have special editions, so that they have the choice of picking what they want to get without having to buy the game twice if they opt to go for the special edition.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
weirdee said:
They have put the software on the system with some previous packages...of course, all this really ends up doing is adding the price of the game to the system.

I think they do this based on which games have special editions, so that they have the choice of picking what they want to get without having to buy the game twice if they opt to go for the special edition.
I never noticed the special edition console not getting the game if a special edition of the game is available separately. It certainly makes sense in that case and is actually pro-consumer move. I'm sure collectors appreciate the option to get a physical copy without paying twice.

It still seems weird to not have the game come with the limited edition system that has its artwork across it. Although, over the years Nintendo has thrown out a lot of special edition consoles long after the games that inspired them were released. I guess it's nothing new then.

Mr.Savage

Apr 18, 2013
Umm...Why was piscian permanently banned for that post? It seems pretty harmless to me.

OT:

You'd think for $200 you'd be able to get a digital copy included. At least having one part gives you a discount for the other, but overall a strange practice indeed.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Mr.Savage said:
Umm...Why was piscian permanently banned for that post? It seems pretty harmless to me.

OT:

You'd think for $200 you'd be able to get a digital copy included. At least having one part gives you a discount for the other, but overall a strange practice indeed.
I think mods are trying to avoid letting the comment sections turn into a Reddit/Imgur 'Post two words and a gif' memefest. Pure speculation, though, and permanent seems harsh in this case. GMod works in mysterious ways.

And yup, for that price I'd expect both versions of the game and all future DLC. I can find a 3DS on ebay for 1/3 of that price. A shame this whole game is turning out to be so expensive. I don't know if IS or Nintendo are behind the content-splitting and the pricing, but I fear that they're a bit power-crazed after Awakening sold better than they expected.

I was looking forward to the themed-3DS release because I figured it'd come with the game and I could bypass all the dicking-about with versions and whatever. But alas! I'll probably just wait for the bundle-edition in a year's time, or at least a price cut.