Nintendo Announces First 12 Amiibo Figures, Now Available for Pre-Order

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Nintendo Announces First 12 Amiibo Figures, Now Available for Pre-Order

The initial set of the Skylanders-style figures includes Nintendo mainstays such as Mario, Link, Samus and Yoshi, and are scheduled to be delivered this holiday season.

The first set of Nintendo's Amiibo figures, announced <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11633-Amiibo-NFC-Figures-for-Smash-Bros-and-Other-WiiU-Titles-Update>at E3 earlier this year, are now up for pre-order and expected to launch this holiday season, alongside the new Wii U Super Smash Bros. The figures make use of NFC technology to transmit data to Super Smash Bros., similar to the Skylanders series of games and figurines. Nintendo has announced Amiibo support for other games, including Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Yoshi's Wolly World.

Appropriately enough, the first slate of the figurines prominently feature characters from the Super Smash Bros. line-up. The full list of the figures are Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Fox, Kirby, Link, Marth, Pikachu, Samus, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Yoshi.

Amazon currently has all the figurines <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Yoshi-amiibo-Wii-U/dp/B00N4ABT1C>up for pre-order, at a cost of $12.99, with a listed release of Dec. 31, 2014. In Super Smash Bros., the Amiibos can be scanned by the Wii U and "sent" into the game, where players can train it, fight alongside it or compete against it. The Amiibo will level up and gain new abilities over time. Amiibo features for other Wii U titles will be announced by Nintendo soon, according to <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/29/6082569/nintendo-amiibo-figurines-available-for-preorder-priced-at-12-99>Polygon.

Earlier today, Nintendo <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137129-New-3DS-with-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Coming-2015>announced a new model of the 3DS handheld, which includes built-in NFC reading technology for the Amiibo figurines.

What do you think of the Amiibo line-up? Are there any characters you want to see in there that got left out, or does the whole experiment leave you cold? Let us know in the comments.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/29/6082569/nintendo-amiibo-figurines-available-for-preorder-priced-at-12-99>Polygon, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Yoshi-amiibo-Wii-U/dp/B00N4ABT1C>Amazon

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I have never bought a skylander figure. Is the $13 price for the Amiibo comparable? It seems expensive to me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Out of the first wave, Marth is my first choice.

Still I wonder how long til we get Toon Link and the others?

Toon Link and Marth were my favourite fighters and the primary reason for a purchase since I ain't buying them only cos they look pretty (I could buy more if I liked the other new fighters).

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Ne1butme said:
I have never bought a skylander figure. Is the $13 price for the Amiibo comparable? It seems expensive to me.
Skylanders are $9.99 with starter monsters being $14.99. Disney Infinity is $12.99. So it's a pretty average price range.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Basic Skylanders figures tend to run between US$10-$12. The bigger ones - the Giants, the Swap Force - run a little higher...closer to $15.

So the $13's about right.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Seems like it's currently only the US amazon accepting pre-orders which doesn't let me to pre-order any.
Can't find it on the German or UK amazon. I don't own a WiiU yet but I would get the Mario and Link because they look nice as figurines.

EDIT:
After taking a nice look at all of them, I would like to get Mario, Link, Marth, Samus and Kirby some day... Considering that it's 5 out of 12 released figures... I need self control. What will happen when Nintendo releases more of them?

TemperHoof

Jan 14, 2013
BlameTheWizards said:
Edit:

Original: "Amazon currently has all the figurines up for pre-order, at a cost of $12.99, with a listed release of Dec. 31, 2014. "

Please Edit to: "Amazon currently has all the figurines up for pre-order, at a cost of $12.99 each, with a listed release of Dec. 31, 2014.

$12.99 per figurine... also acceptable.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I'd like to punch whoever thought that selling these stupid little figures on top of selling a game was a good idea.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
aww, no lucario? :<

he was always my go-to character in Brawl

well, I guess I'll have to settle for Pikachu, my second-choice character

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It only took two years for Big N to finally make use of that feature they touted on the Wiipad. I'd still avoid this like the plague, since I don't want to pay for or keep track of little figures all around my entertainment area.

I wonder if Activision will beef up Skylanders advertising and make more games now that they got a second major competitor in the NFC mini-figure game market.
Vivi22 said:
I'd like to punch whoever thought that selling these stupid little figures on top of selling a game was a good idea.
Then you'd better get ready to punch virtually every businessman in the world, since they love selling something with a great markup on top of full products. The video games industry is a good place to start though.*cough*on disc and useless, overpriced DLC*cough*

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
Not too expensive, considering a comparable sized figurine would cost around the equivalent of $15 in England.

Still too expensive to buy them all but I think I'll buy one for those times when I play vs AI.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm looking to get Link, Samus, Mario, and Marth at least. I wish they would do some packs so you could get three or four for a slight discount. I wonder what they'll do in other games as they've already gone into detail about SSB. I can guess what it'd be for Mario Kart, but then I also get into the thought of what other titles could utilize it and in what way. Still, looking interesting thus far.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
AdamG3691 said:
aww, no lucario? :<

he was always my go-to character in Brawl

well, I guess I'll have to settle for Pikachu, my second-choice character
There will be more. E3 had other Amiibos shown off like Pit so Lucario is probably coming along.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Only one I will ever care to get is Kirby and the eventual King Dedede, every other figure I will promptly ignore. Of course, let's hope they don't have Kirby figures in droves for each power up, because that'd be outrageous. Maybe if they were like Kirby Hat trophies, a set number of them on one statue, then I'd be fine. Also, just saying, Masked Dedede statue needs to be a thing, and I hope his Final Smash would be Masked Dedede. :D

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
While I do plan on getting a Wii U and Super Smash Bros, I think I'll hold off just a tad on buying these figures. Even outside of the game these figures actually look like worthy shelf candy, none of which I currently have are game related.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I don't get the point of these apart from decorative. The actual functionality it brings into the game is purely for computer players so what's the point?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'm not the only onw who wants them just for the figures? they look pretty good...particularly samus and fox

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Aw, Fox is so fuzzy! If I had to choose, I'd definitely go with Fox, Samus, and Dedede (my boy).

As for the price: seems acceptable to me. I guess I wouldn't know the quality of these just from snapshots, but I'm a sucker for this sort of thing so that's moot.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
No Luigi no sale tbh. Right after the year of Luigi they don't release his figure. Sad tbh. :(

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
An I shall be getting every single on of them. I do like that their only starting off with 12 initially, and that 12 does consist of the original 8 SSB characters, it'll lessen the blow to my wallet. Thankfully I've got both Christmas and my Birthday coming up, and the Amiibo's small size make them perfect as stocking filler.

Well, I'll be buying Kirby myself. I'm not waiting on a maybe purchase at Christmas or my Birthday for my favourite video game character.